Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ironman159

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Costa Rica
I've always used whichever cable I find, I don't care if it's original or not, nothing has ever happened to me by using cheap cables bought from eBay.

ALTHOUGH, I do use only original *chargers* (those little cubes) because I have experienced problems by using chargers that are not made by Apple. I always like to explain to people the difference between the cable and the charger.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
In this case, I think the line between "certified" and "not certified" is getting blurred and non-certified cables and devices are being referred to as knock-offs because they are not blessed by Apple.

That said, I will only buy products certified by Apple. Not worth the risk.

I won't. Apples cables are terrible. Not just their lightning cables but also laptop power cables.

I only buy third party lightning cables now - and only ones with a flat design so they can't twist and shred like the apple ones.

I've also had to replace my MBP power cable 5 times because the insulation atound the cable at the connection point had melted and exposed the wires.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Cool. Now people can blow themselves up with another shoddy third party cable.

Third party cables; not even once.

Much better to have this happen with a genuine Apple cable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 96

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Yet another example of egregiously bad reporting by MacRumors: Apple takes no position on what cables users should "purchase"; its focus is on what cables should be used. Also, Apple actually authorizes certain third party cables; it is dead wrong to assert generally that the use of third-party cables is "not recommended."

Get it right, Mac Rumors.

I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't recommend purchasing them either.

I've clarified that I was referring to non-certified third-party cables. Was an accidental omission.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Timely article on 9to5mac re the poor quality of Apple cables. Of course, as is expected, the Apple army show up in the coments to defend, deflect and otherwise attempt to discredit the author.

Last edited:

nozebleed

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
hahahahhahahaha WOW you guys are KILLING ME. you really think it matters what cable you use??????????? unreal.

thanks MR, i bought 2, little steep for a couple cables but will save me a ton of aggravation.

you guys are too much. seriously. a cable.

ill be sure to update you when my house burns down PS. here is my "CERTIFIED" cable that was included with my ipad air. cant believe i havent DIED yet. im such a risk taker.

IMG_0132_zpsaa3577c8.jpg

Last edited:

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Will this work with all current USB ports...? I really would rather not have this not plug into half my USB ports, that would be a heck of a lot more annoying than transitioning to a device that uses lightning from one that uses the old 30-pin connector for example...

And I don't get why you guys have such issues with the normal Apple cables. My mom and I still have the original lightning cable that came with our devices. I am going on 2 perfectly fine ones. One from October 2012, and another from January 2014. My moms is from June 2013. I pretty much don't let them sharply go in a different direction from the little rubber thing that supports them right out of the connector. Sort of hard to explain.

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Cool. Now people can blow themselves up with another shoddy third party cable.

Third party cables; not even once.

Do you buy $100 HDMI leads?

We're not talking of a charger or something with power here, it's just a connector cable, of which probably hundreds of companies have make all manner of cables, from SATA, HDMI, Parallel, Serial, Coax, Audio leads etc etc over decades perfectly well.

And many would have to be vastly higher quality than anything Apple ever makes.

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
How is something "knock off", just because Apple didn't manufacture and sell it? Does that mean that every item sold outside Apple, on planet earth, EVER, is "knock off"?

Knock it off.
I have to defend him here... Any lightning bolt usb cable not made by apple IS a knockoff...

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
While the cable is not Apple-approved and thus not Made for iPhone (MFi) certified, Truffol has told MacRumors that its cable works with both existing iOS devices and the upcoming iPhone 6.

And they know it will work with the iPhone 6 ... how?

Last edited:

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I have to defend him here... Any lightning bolt usb cable not made by apple IS a knockoff...

No, there are certified ones that Apple approves of and takes registration fees for. All those ones you buy on Amazon or at TJ Max are certified. Then there are cheap knockoffs on eBay from China that must cost less than the registration fee alone.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
USB has been around for nearly 20 years, why are companies only now suddenly getting excited about reversible cables?

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
For all those insisting it must be a real Apple cable or nothing, blah blah blah, it would be nice if Apple actually bothered producing half the cables for which there is demand. I would have thought, for example, a Mini-Display/Thunderbolt to HDMI is a very basic requirement for many, yet I had to buy one from Belkin. FWIW, the cable works perfectly. But I wonder why Apple don't make one if, as some suggest, Apple does not encourage the use of third party cables (whilst, of course, selling them on their own website...)

nozebleed

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
For all those insisting it must be a real Apple cable or nothing, blah blah blah, it would be nice if Apple actually bothered producing half the cables for which there is demand. I would have thought, for example, a Mini-Display/Thunderbolt to HDMI is a very basic requirement for many, yet I had to buy one from Belkin. FWIW, the cable works perfectly. But I wonder why Apple don't make one if, as some suggest, Apple does not encourage the use of third party cables (whilst, of course, selling them on their own website...)

they do, and charge 29.99 for some. its ridiculous, you are paying for the name. monoprice ftw

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
hahahahhahahaha WOW you guys are KILLING ME. you really think it matters what cable you use??????????? unreal.

thanks MR, i bought 2, little steep for a couple cables but will save me a ton of aggravation.

you guys are too much. seriously. a cable.

ill be sure to update you when my house burns down PS. here is my "CERTIFIED" cable that was included with my ipad air. cant believe i havent DIED yet. im such a risk taker.

Buy a new cable, or at least break the electrical tape out. I haven't had any cable from any manufacturer for any device end up like that. I have no idea how you guys treat your cables.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Buy a new cable, or at least break the electrical tape out. I haven't had any cable from any manufacturer for any device end up like that. I have no idea how you guys treat your cables.

Buy a new cable... That's clearly Apple's business strategy.

1) Sell poor quality products at ridiculous prices...
2) Wait until they break after a couple months of everyday use...
3) Customer comes into store to complain...
4) Repeat.

Why make a well designed, good quality, long lasting product, when you can treat cables as consumables.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012

Apple don't make cables? They, more than likely employ the exact same Chinese fab shops as any other third party cable supplier. The biggest difference between certified and non certified is typically the mark-up involved!

Just for the record, a lightning connector is only proprietary on one end so by your reckoning, the other end could also be "knockoff"

----------

No, there are certified ones that Apple approves of and takes registration fees for. All those ones you buy on Amazon or at TJ Max are certified. Then there are cheap knockoffs on eBay from China that must cost less than the registration fee alone.

Registration fees? Do you actually really believe this?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I do believe that comments such as "First!" and posting several unnecessary images about it is against the rules. I *cough* suggest that MOTO G stop spamming the thread *cough* #

Also talking about the rules is not allowed as well. Unless you do it in the side feedback part of the forums.

Jobs, Steve

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2014
Uhm... a connector with a tiny part in the middle...

I think we will see many broken Reversible Usb connector in the future.
It doesn't look so solid like the current standard usb type A connector.

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Reversible USB cables have been available before, so no one is "beating" apple at anything.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

No Apple even sell third party lightning cables in their stores, Belkin for example. They are not knock off, they are endorsed by Apple. I bought a short orange one from the Apple store to use with my mophie juice charger. It is not knock off!

----------

http://store.apple.com/us/iphone/iphone-accessories/cables-docks

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
USB has been around for nearly 20 years, why are companies only now suddenly getting excited about reversible cables?

I believe that Lightning is "special" because the other end is also reversible. With, say, a printer, it would presumably need its own electronics to handle being connected either way up (since the pins would essentially be reversed).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.