Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
A couple weeks ago I got a brand new MBP Retina for free and I'm just pumped about it. That is, until last night when I wanted to record some stuff in Garageband and noticed there's no line-in input. I read up online and it looks like it's a discontinued feature on these machines (Crazy how they can integrate all this new technology, but it comes at the cost of things like the line-in and optical drives which have been standards on MB laptops for years).

So I'm looking for a good audio interface for Garageband recordings. For years I just plugged direct into the computer for demos, so it's not like I'm using it for professional-level recordings. Still, I figure this is an opportunity to improve my sound. Any suggestions are welcome!

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
A long time ago I used to use a dongle device by Griffin called an iMic. Pretty cheap and worked well.

ian m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Something like a Line 6 UX1 would be a good piece to start with. It's a USB input with options for a microphone and guitar jack. Check it out.

Oh yeah, I think the guitarist of my band has one of those. It's definitely a cool interface.

But are USB interfaces usually that expensive? As of right now it's a bit out of my price range.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I would recommend a Focusrite Scarlett, they are professional with a relatively low price tag. Then you'll be future proofed with your sound quality without going overboard on budget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.