Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swenak

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
Hi,

I buy new Macbook Pro 15 mid 2012 non Retina and I have problems with palmrest temperature (mainly left). CPU temperatures are standard, but, left part of palmrest is too hot.

If I compare it to rMBP late 2013 with GT750, which I have before (I change it to nonRetina because of Retina), I found, that Retina have stronger airflow from vents.

So, I compare pictures of Retina and nonRetina fans and it seems, that Retina have better geometry and maybe, nonRetina blow some air back to body (bottom part of fans is not covered).

My question is: Can I replace original fans with retina fans?

Or, maybe, is any solution to replace DVD drive with third fan?

Or, is solution to make something like this? https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1765407/ or http://www.philmug.ph/forum/f24/my-fearless-experiment-my-nr-macbook-pro-mid-2012-a-85105/

Thanks.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If the laptop is not cooling as it should and its a new laptop, take it into apple for them to repair. Replacing parts with another computer that's a different model is not the answer. I don't think the'll fit as apple changed the design between models.

swenak

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
Thanks.

Macbook is now in repair (because of hinge problem and that palmrest temp), but, I mean, that temp is feature, that's why I "preparing" to solving it.

I try to solving it with high fans rpm and it was better, but after that, fans are too loud.

swenak

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
You have right, on left is battery, on right side is hard drive. Maybe problem is in battery, I will wait for information from service, but, as I read, other users have same problem and this is why I presume, that it is feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.