Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
if these are indeed real dimensions of new iphone, I am even more happy that I bought 5s recently... seems that 5s will have to stay with me for a long time, dont want monstrous big phablets;(

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
So the point is the ONLY thing the 5.5" will have going for it is it's thinness. Nothing else.

And the fact that it runs iOS, it's personal preference I know. But for a lot of people that's the deciding factor.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
If this is the real deal, my mockup from back in april comes pretty close in the size department :)

More comparisons: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1727302/

I sold my 5S recently to get ready for the Iphone 6. In the meantime I am using a LG G2. It has just about the same dimensions as the 4.7, except slightly wider and thicker. It has a 1080P screen, 2 GB of Ram and a 3000mAh battery, wireless charging and an LED notification light. I rarely get under 25% by the end of the day. I know I can get used to a 4.7 inch screen very quickly, but unless Apple has done some magic battery saving techniques, having a 1810mAh battery could be a game changer.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This is also a BS reason to justify making a bigger phone for the mainstream.

Don't get me wrong, we can't just have phones for the techsavy people.
But as a techsavy person it frustrates me when the following happens:

Samsung Galaxy S5 user: Omfg your screen is so small, why don't you have one with a bigger screen?

Me: Because I like iOS and I don't have big hands?

Samsung Galaxy S5 user: What's iOS?

Me: the operating system that my phone is running, like android is running on yours.

Samsung Galaxy S5 user: Well I don't know anything about operating systems and all I know is that I wanted a new phone and this 1 had a bigger screen + it was cheaper, and the guy at the store said it was the latest one. :D!

Me: What do you use it for then?

Samsung Galaxy S5 user: Oh just, whatsapp mostly a little browsing sometimes.

Which results in me shaking my head in disappointment
These are the people who Apple is making phones for? it's all becoming a cluttered vast sea of phones that meet standards of people who are not smart enough to understand what a smartphone can actually do. MOST people aren't even aware of what an android phone is capable of, all they hear is BIGGER screen and CHEAPER, and their minds are made up. I don't think you should be making phones for those kinds of people.

Something tells me apple knows their market better than you do.

Something also tells me you've ridiculously over generalized the android user and why they pick the phones they pick.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I guess it's time to sell a kidney and a testicle to be able to afford a 5.5", sapphire display, 128 GB version, unlocked, black.

Man, I wish I could justify and buy it. I hate my Galaxy.

I think buying someone else's testicle kinda defeats the purpose, but yes, it will be expensive.

----------

Apple produces products for the largest market segments, because that's where you can achieve economies of scale and make real profits.

Producing a phone for the tiny and shrinking segment that would prefer a 3,5" screen would be unprofitable. Any Apple shareholder would be against it.

True, the 'bigger=better' trend is here and there's not much anyone can do about it. That's why it sucks for 'small screen' folk. They just have to wait it out and hope the 'big screen' trend subsides and small screens make a comeback. Hopefully Apple still has a DNA sample of the iPhone 4s frozen in one of their labs.

----------

We don't know what we don't know. All we've seen so far are schematics and beat up prototypes that may or may not be the real deal. That's why I'm waiting for the announcement to form my opinion.

If you wait until it's announced, then it won't be an opinion.

----------

You'd like Apple to continue to make a 4" phone. I get it. Fact is, when the larger phones are introduced there will still be ample inventory of 4" iPhones and they will be updated for some time to come. Now if you're they type who has to have the latest and greatest, that's a first world problem with little sympathy from me. Heck, we're posting in a tech forum about an upcoming phone. All of this is a first world problem.:D

This made me laugh, not at you but because you are so right. I been reading the large amount of whines about lines, and think "Wah wah first world problems are so bad!". :D Design taking away from function, like reception, is bs and I am ok with bands that make the phone pick up better and like you said, if you stare at the back of you phone all day..........um yeah your using it wrong lol.

The "first world problem" argument is true, but I don't think it holds much weight in this forum. The problem is I or anyone could use that to respond to literally ANY criticism here, which means no one could ever criticize; only give praise or be silent, which would make these forums very sparse and boring. And if you go really extreme, it means we shouldn't even be wasting our time reading these forums in the first place, but instead going out to maybe help at a soup kitchen (and maybe we should). The FWP argument is like a nuke that destroys this entire website and kills everyone, even the arguer. But I like this website and want it to continue so let's all agree that we all know none of this really matters in the grand scheme of things, and if someone wants to respond to someone who they think is being nitpicky, they should try using more manageable arguments that don't implode the universe.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Battery capacity 4.7 inch

Apple is going to have to be very creative with their 1810mAh battery.( I bet the hardware team is having fits because Sir Thin will win every time). The screen resolution will not be 1080p quality, but should be okay for the average user. The A8 chip will save some juice and the co-processor technology could be so advanced that it will turn off your phone if it thinks you are going to sneeze.

This will be a phone designed for the average user, not a gamer or a high load user. Mophie will make a battery case to help out for the non-average user.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
This will be a phone designed for the average user, not a gamer or a high load user.

I'm more than fine with that, since I really don't need much bells and whistles. I have no issues with the CPU/GPU in either the iPad 2 or the iPhone 5, so no need for any upgrades on that front. I could use more RAM to get rid of Safari reloads and games restarting when sending a quick SMS in-between, and I would like a fullhd screen, but I can certainly live without one.

What I can't live with, however, is paying a super-ultra-premium-highend price for something that is designed and specced as an average phone.

So, if Apple wants to be the expensivestest phone out there, they had better be throwing in the bestest hardware to go along with it.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I'm more than fine with that, since I really don't need much bells and whistles. I have no issues with the CPU/GPU in either the iPad 2 or the iPhone 5, so no need for any upgrades on that front. I could use more RAM to get rid of Safari reloads and games restarting when sending a quick SMS in-between, and I would like a fullhd screen, but I can certainly live without one.

What I can't live with, however, is paying a super-ultra-premium-highend price for something that is designed and specced as an average phone.

So, if Apple wants to be the expensivestest phone out there, they had better be throwing in the bestest hardware to go along with it.

Not quite sure WHY it wouldn't be for the gamer since the A7 I believe had the best single core speed of any phone out there (A8 should be the same). That's the mark of Intel processors, you know the ones mostly used for gaming. The GPU will be top of the line too. If a 2 core processor is as fast as a 4 to 8 one, I'd say that yes it is very ready for gaming. IOS has a pretty solid Gaming API too, better than what Google offers. The most important thing to be able to play game on a system, games actually have to be devellopped for it... Goes without saying.

A8 will be about 35-50% (process shrink and some other optimisations used by Intel but not by Apple yet) faster than the A7, which would easily keep it in the lead in single core performance. IT should also get 2G of memory; they've doubled memory every 2 years. Considering IOS is much more efficient in translating CPU, GPU and memory perfomance in actual performance, it should easily be tops are amongst the top in gaming on a phone for the whole year. Having a too high resolution screen will suck the battery fast when gaming BTW; so there is a sweet spot that exists. I believe 400 ppi is the ideal, Apple should be just under that at around 360.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

I think you'll find the A8 chip more then capable of advanced gaming, then again Real Racing 3 stutters all the time with frame rate drops on my retina iPad Mini! My 2012 Nexus 7 plays it smoother?

But I totally agree on the paying premium flagship pricing for a mid tier spec phone. Because only one person is laughing with that idea and their second name is Cook.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I can understand your viewpoint but what is happening is (myself included as I own a Note 3 and will switch to 5.5 iphone if it does come out) is people are not speaking on their phones anymore. I use at most 150-200 min a month, almost everything is SMS/Email/WhatsApp. I know I'm not alone. I just don't get this animosity against the 5.5 inch; Different strokes for different folks!

I'm not against larger iPhones - I'm against only having Large iPhones - as you say different things suit different people so why not have a 4, 4.7 and 5.5 inch iPhone 6?

I am against the sentiment that the 4 inch is useless for everything as I still find well and truly large enough for things - I also barely use my phone as a phone.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Are you as sure of all these conclusions as you were about the G3s weight?

A8 will be about 35-50% (process shrink and some other optimisations used by Intel but not by Apple yet) faster than the A7, which would easily keep it in the lead in single core performance. IT should also get 2G of memory; they've doubled memory every 2 years. Considering IOS is much more efficient in translating CPU, GPU and memory perfomance in actual performance, it should easily be tops are amongst the top in gaming on a phone for the whole year. Having a too high resolution screen will suck the battery fast when gaming BTW; so there is a sweet spot that exists. I believe 400 ppi is the ideal, Apple should be just under that at around 360.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
My prediction based on previous codenames is that the 5.5 inches iPhone 6 will be based on the A7 chip ala Iphone 5C and the higher power flagship A8 will be only on the 4.7 inch device.

A6 - N4X
N41 and N42 - iPhone 5
N48 - iPhone 5C

A7 - N5X
N51 and N53 - iPhone 5S
N56 - iPhone 6 with 5.5 inch display

A8 - N6X
N61 - iPhone 6 with 4.7 inch display
I'm on the theory of that 5.5"iDevice it's just an oversized iPod touch, this is consistent with an relatively small battery for a 5.5 class phone (but good for an non phone).

Your finding to me support that theory, since Apple use to fit the iTouch with its previous generation CPU.

Only a question, those codes are exclusive for phones? Or its possible being aimed at an iTouch?

If no possibility those codes belong to a phone, then I doubt Apple will sell an underpowered Phablet, it's non sense, or A7X powered device has the same resolution of the iPhone 5, whatever it's a non sense unless this code belongs actually to an iPod touch, or something new not aimed at phone calls.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
I sold my 5S recently to get ready for the Iphone 6. In the meantime I am using a LG G2. It has just about the same dimensions of the 4.7, except slightly wider and thicker. It has a 1080P screen, 2 GB of Ram and a 3000mAh battery, wireless charging and an LED notification light. I rarely get under 25% by the end of the day. I know I can get used to a 4.7 inch screen very quickly, but unless Apple has done some magic battery saving techniques, having a 1810mAh battery could be a game changer.

I'm in a quite similar position. I wanted a phone with a big screen so after my iPhone, I got myself first a Galaxy Note. But that thing was getting slower by the day, lagging like crazy and the battery life was really bad after a while. I was waiting for Apple to release a phone with a bigger screen but since the 5s wasn't for me and the Note was on its last legs, I bought a LG G2 as an interim phone, because it was cheap in Hong Kong.

After a few weeks I was surprised, how good LG G2 is. Huge nice 1080p screen, but due to its tiny bezels, still a relatively compact device. And an awesome battery life, too, great camera with OIS and a well working HDR mode, 60fps videos, etc. It is overall very smooth, much better than the laggy Samsung garbage with TouchWiz.

After seeing the mockups, I am just not sure, if I really change back to an iPhone. If the dimensions are correct, then the 5.5" iPhone will be a monster of a device with overly huge bezels. I like Apple, but as much as I wanted to like the iPhone 6 mockups, the designs feels uninspired, conservative and boring to me -- Sorry to all the Jony Ive Lovers out there. But I really hope he will prove me wrong when the actual device will be revealed in a few weeks time :eek:

While the HTC One has relatively big bezels, too, I feel the HTC looks more Apple-ish to me. That is a design, I would have expected to come up with, 1-2 years ago.

About my LG: installing a few Apps from the google playstore, the LG syncs with my icloud contacts, calendars and wirelessly with iTunes. Dare I say it, the syncing with iTunes is sometimes much faster than my iPad linked to my MBP. :eek:

Ah well, let's see. There is also an interesting Motorola phone (Shamu) in the works.

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
I think I got your point. I was trying to argue that I'm an iphone user, I am technically inclined, and I would like a smaller high-end phone. Isn't that what you asked ? I can't speak for the entire marker, but I can provide an anecdotal point of view, mine.

My phone is unlocked, I even have a file browser installed and sometimes I copy files inside, I gather a bunch of files, text documents, I zip them and move them out, right inside the phone with the file explorer, just like on a computer. I even managed to tweak some aspects of the ios by editing .plist files, so I think I can safely say I'm technically inclined.

So I don't just use the phone with chat and browse. I don't even have facebook installed on my phone, but I have a ton of apps like movie making, 3d objects creation from photos, and so on.

Someone here said if there would be a market for high-end small phones, the Android crew would make them. But perhaps they are not capable of such a feat. Perhaps only Apple could miniaturize a powerful enough phone.

Sebastian. Sometimes there is a danger of swinging and missing when you extract an out of context fragment from someone's statement and build a narrative around it. The full contextual statement was, "What empirical data suggests that a person with a smaller phone is somehow more technically inclined? Forget empirical, I'd settle for anecdotal in this case." <-- Your anecdote doesn't quite follow the theme.

Sooooooo. Let's try this again mkay?:p
Nah, I'm just messin' with you man. :D But you sorta kinda did miss the entire point.:) It's all good tho.

BacktoMacNJ

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
If the protruding lens is accurate, I'd think there's no way that would have gotten through with Jobs' OK.

grubworth

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
has anyone thought that lense might be pushed out to sit flush with a apple case? a selection of customisable colours, such as the iphone c has?

we all admit it is thin as needed, so why not make it flush with a case.

wordup60

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2012
When they went from the rounded design of the 3GS to the "flat" design of the iPhone 4, there was also a lot of complaining. In the meantime, it turned around to the iPhone 4 being considered a "design masterpiece".

I've had a 4S since it came out. I don't consider it a masterpiece. Yes, I can appreciate the engineering precision and materials quality that went into it, but its sharp edges and squared off shape are just wrong for a device you hold in your hand.

A smartphone is a device you use, not a sculpture you admire. My 3GS before that was much more ergonomic and felt a lot better to hold. That's why I'm looking forward to the rounded 6, white bands or otherwise.

Similarly, while I'm not a fan of the protruding camera aesthetically, my bigger concern is a wobbling phone when typing on it while it's lying flat on a table.

thomasluke231

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2013
Did anyone notice that the first photo showed that there is a button on the top right of the phone? Is that the power button? But rumors said the power button is relocated to the right side. Meanwhile, there is also a button in the right in the first photo.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
I guess there white bands are here to stay

sigh

At least you spelled sigh correctly.

----------

These kinds of things remind me why I hate the mainstream.
I don't wanna sound like a hipster, but seriously why 5.5, who in the damn world has hands that big and can still use their phone with 1 hand. What happened to small and comfortable to use after taking it out of your pocket?

What ever happened to technology having to get smaller and smaller, why are we going in the opposite direction? only to realise later that we want things smaller again because it's all too big.

Spoken like someone's whose primary use for iPhone is holding it to their ear.

iOS devices have amazing utility. Certain things I can do on iPhone, others I much prefer on iPad.

I am looking forward to the largest iPhone I can get away with using. I don't quite know if it will be 4.7 or 5.5, but I'm hoping 5.5, as the graphics and text should be much larger and easier to see, while making room for Apps to use lots of real estate.

mikeash

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2014
Oh trust me once you use a phone that can last 2 days or more on a charge you will not be saying that.

I have owned all three versions of the Note. Actually traded in my Note 3 for my current 5s. I have no issues with battery life, not a power user. Ive wished for years they would make the iPhone as close to thin and slim as the iPod Touch as the could, looks like its finally happening!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.