Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
Third party! yaakk! More cables that don't work properly with current devices. Just what we need! Oh the pain! the pain!!

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
In this case, I think the line between "certified" and "not certified" is getting blurred and non-certified cables and devices are being referred to as knock-offs because they are not blessed by Apple.

That said, I will only buy products certified by Apple. Not worth the risk.

If a Lightning cable isn't licensed by Apple, it infringes on their patent(s). In most countries it isn't legal to manufacture it, and it's not legal to import it into many countries. Certainly it's not legal to import it into the USA, but contraband like this is routinely smuggled in.

anubis72

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2004
How is something "knock off", just because Apple didn't manufacture and sell it? Does that mean that every item sold outside Apple, on planet earth, EVER, is "knock off"?

Knock it off.

Are there other companies out there that use the Lightning connector? ;)

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Mate, I was just having some fun. But you shouldn't post "First!" on articles...unless were you referring to the fact that this is first reversible USB to Lightning cable.

It seemed obvious to me that was the intent of the post. Someone rushed out a reversible USB lightning cable before Apple just do they could say "first!" So somebody posted a comment saying they were "first" to make fun if the company.

Pretty silly that the post was removed since it was actually a comment on the article, did the mods not get it?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
So are Belkin and co breaking the law with their lightning connectors?

And why are Apple assisting them to do so by selling their 'knock off' connectors in their own store and on their own website.

eddieaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Reversible USB cable will NOT come with iPhone 6, all standard accessories will be the same.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
ooooh.... not having to turn the connector over is very exciting... product of the year worthy.... not.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Aside from Amazon's brand, I haven't had much luck with any 3rd party cables for my Apple products. Some (like the Insignia brand) actually fall apart.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
hahahahhahahaha WOW you guys are KILLING ME. you really think it matters what cable you use??????????? unreal.

thanks MR, i bought 2, little steep for a couple cables but will save me a ton of aggravation.

you guys are too much. seriously. a cable.

ill be sure to update you when my house burns down PS. here is my "CERTIFIED" cable that was included with my ipad air. cant believe i havent DIED yet. im such a risk taker.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/11/27/thai-man-dies-after-alleged-electrocution-from-charging-iphone-4s-
http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1283818/woman-electrocuted-while-answering-iphone-may-have-been-using-fake?page=all
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/06/please-dont-buy-cheap-phone-chargers-and-cables/

Do you think this is some kind of myth?

burtba

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
What? Someone beat Apple to the market with a new idea:eek: No this can't be;)

I think this is going to be a part of Apples future. They make GREAT products, come up with GREAT idea's, put a massive effort into detail and their products 'Just Work'
BUT
They are VERY slow at getting product to the market. Granted part of the reason is to make sure they work properly:cool:

saha-med

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Knock off or not, it still has a risk of blowing up, fraying etc...

Its funny how much scare-tactics is used here by those that bought original cables to prevent others from buying knock offs.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK

To be fair in ALL those examples you have it was due to a cheap CHARGER not cable. This is the difference here. I wouldn't touch an actual cheap mains connector with a barge pole, but a cheap cable?! Its can only fall apart the same way as Apple's and it only carries the same limited ampage (e.g. very low) from the USB plug. As long as you're using an official (or at least certifed/expensive USB plug) a 3rd party cable on its own its not going to be able to start a fire!

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Buy a new cable... That's clearly Apple's business strategy.

1) Sell poor quality products at ridiculous prices...
2) Wait until they break after a couple months of everyday use...
3) Customer comes into store to complain...
4) Repeat.

Why make a well designed, good quality, long lasting product, when you can treat cables as consumables.

Way to ignore the rest of my post. Treat your cables with respect, and they don't break. I certainly don't seem to have these problems with my cables, Apple sourced or not, and I know I'm not alone.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
A California company named UltraTek holds a patent for a reversible USB connector...it is possible Apple has licensed the technology or developed a solution that is different enough not to infringe on UltraTek's existing technology.
I wouldn't bet on it. Apple has demonstrated their willingness to run roughshod over their competitors before.

They stole the iPhone name (from Cisco) without negotiating rights to the trademark ahead of time... and that cost them $60M. They stole the iPad name (from Fujitsu) without negotiating rights to the trademark ahead of time.

Apple is a big enough company that they aren't scared of taking on the little fish in court.

Treat your cables with respect, and they don't break. I certainly don't seem to have these problems with my cables, Apple sourced or not, and I know I'm not alone.
I suspect that your finding is not the norm. My two MBA have both gone through two or three cables each. The ends of them get discolored (from heat), and the insulation breaks down and gets brittle. They also have insufficient strain relief to keep from damaging the cable. Apple lost a class action lawsuit over magsafe 1.

I have gone through many variations of 30 pin cables; official iPad cable strain relief is horrible, third party is much more robust (except for Amazon's in-house brand, it is worse than Apple). My iPhone lightning connector seems to be okay, however, it is the exception to most of my apple cables.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Of course, the cheaper cables are are from MonoPrice...

Even those most people would by from them, i have my view

I wonder weather Apple will be able to effectively control the licensing here anymore ..

Manufactures reckon they can get round the loop, and sell whatever accessory they want with, or without Apples approval, Customers get the feedback they deserve when it doesn't work as intended, even if it may not charge all the time..

These are the reasons why i would never buy cheap stuff.... But allot of people can't help themselves.

All companies care about is there first to the market, regardless if its been fully tested or not.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
How is something "knock off", just because Apple didn't manufacture and sell it? Does that mean that every item sold outside Apple, on planet earth, EVER, is "knock off"?

Knock it off.

Because apple created parts then patented it then the next day there is a 3rd party version.

dwd2112

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2014
Tripp Lite Reversibles

I have used these (google or amazon this: Tripp Lite USB Extension Cable - USB 2.0, Universal / Reversible A (M) to A (F), 1.5 to 480 Mbps, 10',Black) USB extensions and they are reversible on the computer side. It is a great idea - even better when both sides dont care which way is up!:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.