Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Why does Apple not do standard resolutions like 1080p or 720p? These alleged new resolutions are weird and even if they make sense for developers, as Gruber explained, they are still non standard. Imagine having Macs using such non standard resolutions...I think it's a mess.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why does Apple not do standard resolutions like 1080p or 720p? These alleged new resolutions are weird and even if they make sense for developers, as Gruber explained, they are still non standard. Imagine having Macs using such non standard resolutions...I think it's a mess.
Why is it a mess? Seems like going with some "standard" resolutions simply because they are "standard" would be a bigger mess given all the assets and everything else that is already in place to work with the resolutions Apple has and multiples of them.

----------

http://daringfireball.net/2014/08/larger_iphone_display_conjecture

I think he got it right, technically.
Seems like already being discussed at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1767829/

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013

Why does it matter if it's a standard resolution or not??

If it's good for developers, it's generally good for consumers as well. Easier resolution to handle=easier to update existing apps=lots of updated apps a very short time after announcement=happy customers :D

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010

Because most developers would like to be able to reuse graphics and other assets for Android and WP development as well, and vice versa. Now they have to redo everything for iPhone. Which won't exactly make people more happy about developing for iOS, especially since the iPad has a totally wonky resolution as well.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
Because most developers would like to be able to reuse graphics and other assets for Android and WP development as well, and vice versa. Now they have to redo everything for iPhone. Which won't exactly make people more happy about developing for iOS, especially since the iPad has a totally wonky resolution as well.

It's been that way for years now. It won't be different with these new resolutions.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

If it's good for developers, it's generally good for consumers as well. Easier resolution to handle=easier to update existing apps=lots of updated apps a very short time after announcement=happy customers :D

You're asking why it matters to use a resolution that nearly every video and movie on the planet is in?

Sometimes its better to step back and start over rather then continuing to work around it forever (that applies to anything in life). With proper devtools this wouldn't be anymore difficult then it was going to 16:9 (which I admit was a pain for everyone). But in the long run you'd have a higher quality product that is easier to work with. If you continually take the easy route you'll continually see lower and lower quality.

EDIT : By lower quality I mean across Apples ecosystem. From iTunes, converting your own video, AirPlay to and from iOS and OSX devices which generally always goto a 1080p HDTV, etc etc. Working around standards only gets more and more difficult.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Why is it a mess? Seems like going with some "standard" resolutions simply because they are "standard" would be a bigger mess given all the assets and everything else that is already in place to work with the resolutions Apple has and multiples of them.

----------

Seems like already being discussed at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1767829/

I prefer having no scaling when watching 1080p videos. Or am I a mistaken? Wouldn't the iPhone try to scale the content to fill the resolution?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

That just mean there are more roadblocks to develop for android. Hardly sounds like a drawback for iOS users, seeing how many developers still favour iOS first.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Video scaling on displays this small (and with such high dpi) is a total non-issue for image quality.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
That just mean there are more roadblocks to develop for android.

It's not a roadblock for Android if you already develop for Android. And it's not a roadblock in any case, it's just a flopping middle finger in the face of developers, stuck there by Apple with its ridiculous designs.

suresh31

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Dalrymple "kind of" confirmed these resolutions. I don't think anybody can doubt how good Darlymple sources are.

loopinsight.com

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
http://daringfireball.net/2014/08/larger_iphone_display_conjecture

I think he got it right, technically.

Doubt he got it right. This makes much more sense.

4.7" = 359ppi
5.5" = 307ppi or 461ppi (depending if Apple doubles or triples the base pixel density of 414x736)

* This assumes Apple maintains a 16:9 ratio.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I don't think it matters, Apple employs excellent designers and engineers. Being detail oriented they are sure to put out a nice display. Even at 5.5" it's not like an iPad or laptop display.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
Doubt he got it right. This makes much more sense.

4.7" = 359ppi
5.5" = 307ppi or 461ppi (depending if Apple doubles or triples the base pixel density of 414x736)

* This assumes Apple maintains a 16:9 ratio.

As he says, using that ppi (1472 × 828 on a 4,7" screen) would render everything 10% smaller, so not really sure on that one.

Markiie

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Los Angeles, California.
At this point, I strongly believe Apple is going to embrace the bigger size phone and market it as the flagship. They are jumping into a new category so there is no set price points. I've been saying it would not surprise me if Apple starts the 5.5 at 399 and moves up to 599 for a 128GB model.

If Jim and Gruber are right about these resolutions the 5.5 is going to look amazing. Oddly, in Jim article he mentions "Super-Retina". A few months ago Sonny Dickson used the same wording. Not trying to say this is what Apple plans to call it BUT there is smoke here. Not to mention Apple can market/spin that like CRAZY.

The 4.7 is going to sell on two factors, comfort and price. Its going to be a solid phone no doubt about it. I've mentioned in other post that i feel the 4.7 is going to be this gen's 5c and the 5.5 is getting all the goodies....here are some of the differences that have been rumored.

Sonny Dickson mentioned months ago that the A8 is going to be a 2.7 ghz processor. A week fews ago Macrumors also mentioned the difference in clock speed but did say they would not be so different. Maybe 100 mhz but clearly seems as the 5.5 is going to have the bigger processor and rightfully so given it will push more ppi.

Battery......well....we've seen the two rumored batteries. 5.5 getting the bigger one.

We have also a rumor of the 5.5 being the only model that is getting the 128GB memory.That has been reported here and other sites.

There is also a rumor the 4.7 is not going to support optical imagine stabilization and the 5.5 is.

The sapphire glass is the only item rumored that will not make this line of phones but would it surprise me if they used that on only the 5.5? Nope.

Anyway, this is all about profit. Apple can play their own game with a 5.5 phone. The 4.7 will carry the 199/299/399 which is on par with every new phone release but with the 5.5.........they can charge pretty much whatever they want. Personally, maybe I'm stupid, and most of you will think the same but I'd definitely pay 599 for a 128 GB 5.5....... Without a second thought too.......and I'm not alone.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
It's not a roadblock for Android if you already develop for Android. And it's not a roadblock in any case, it's just a flopping middle finger in the face of developers, stuck there by Apple with its ridiculous designs.

As a developer, I prefer the resolutions Gruber is suggesting above a standard 720p or 1080p resolution. Why? It will make reworking the existing iOS apps so much easier.

It doesn't matter that Android devices use different resolution: even if iOS and Android devices used the same resolutions, you can't just use the same code. Either way, different platforms require different approaches.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Which standard does Apple need to conform to? iOS only works on Apple devices, so I have no idea why Apple should stick to 'standard' resolutions.

----------

Why not just make them both have the same resolution?

Heres a thread I started that talks about the perfect resolution

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1699542/
I'm sorry but what you are saying does not make any sense at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.