Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Not a fan of Taylor Swift at all. Her latest single is so bad (lyrics+video). Also, I think she has to stick to country rather than pop. Doesn't suit her.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Very interesting post, my best friend plays the violin amazingly so I will ask him next time to play the piece for me while I drink wine. (not kidding btw!)

Fantastic! Must be nice to have a "violin on demand" subscription. :)

The YouTube recording I posted has been transcribed to the key of A minor. Obtaining sheet music for the organ version (in D minor) is fairly easy -- here it is in PDF form, for example. The transcription for violin (in A minor) would probably be a bit more difficult to come by. The excerpt from a Wikipedia article (below) names some of the transcriptions for violin. You might be able to track down copies from this info.

Another theory, first put forward by Williams in 1981, suggests that BWV 565 may have been a transcription of a lost solo violin piece. Parallel octaves and the preponderance of thirds and sixths may be explained by a transcriber's attempt to fill in harmony which, if preserved as is, would be inadequately thin on a pipe organ. This is corroborated by the fact that the subject of the fugue, and certain passages (such as bars 12–15), are evidently inspired by string music. Bach is known to have transcribed solo violin works for organ at least twice.[27] Williams put this theory into practice by writing a reconstruction of the conjectured original violin work, which has been performed (by violinists Jaap Schröder[28] and Simon Standage), and published.[29] The violinist Andrew Manze subsequently produced his own reconstruction, also in A minor, which he has performed and recorded.[30] Another violin version was created by scholar Bruce Fox-Lefriche in 2004,[31] and other string instruments have been suggested for the original piece as well, e.g. a five string cello — a possibility explored in a 2000 article by Mark Argent.[32]

Screen shot 2014-08-21 at 1.26.28 PM.png

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
nice, thanks bookmarked! Will try to find it in the right key for him, maybe he has it already seeing as he has many books.

The video below is a recording of the Bruce Fox-Lefriche transcription, which is somewhat different from the one I posted earlier in the thread (which was a Andrew Manze transcription).

Based on what I found mentioned online, Strings magazine published the sheet music for the Fox-Lefriche transcription in an article published a while back. Bruce Fox-Lefriche has a YouTube account, so you might try contacting him about obtaining a copy, if your friend doesn't have it.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
The video below is a recording of the Bruce Fox-Lefriche transcription, which is somewhat different from the one I posted earlier in the thread (which was a Andrew Manze transcription).

Based on what I found mentioned online, Strings magazine published the sheet music for the Fox-Lefriche transcription in an article published a while back. Bruce Fox-Lefriche has a YouTube account, so you might try contacting him about obtaining a copy, if your friend doesn't have it.

YouTube: video

I found this article: http://issuu.com/odane.hamilton/docs/johann-sebastian-bach/141
haven't read it yet though. pg 139 in the pdf
Thanks for the sources, I will go at it when I come home tonight

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ironically enough, two of the three "iconic" compositions (the ones I've highlighted in bold) probably weren't written (entirely) by the composers who are commonly credited with their creation.

Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor

The following article, A haunting tune, but is it really Bach's?, offers some thoughts about the piece and whether or not Bach was the work's author.

The composition's name itself isn't "quite right" -- Bach's generation would have called it "Praeludium et fuga," not Toccata and Fugue. Some musicologists claim the composition uses a progression of notes Bach never would have allowed.

Other music scholars believe the Toccata was originally a violin piece Bach transcribed (originally written by another composer).

If so, the the violin transcription (below) of "Toccata & Fugue" may be closer to the original than the infinitely more "iconic" organ version.

YouTube: video

Mozart's Requiem in D Minor

Mozart died before he could complete the work, and it was passed off to his pupil Sussmayr, who orchestrated it and provided the missing movements. But months after Mozart's death, at least four composers -- Sussmayr, Eybler, Frystadtler and Stadler -- worked on the completion of the Requiem. Over the years since then, Richard Maunder and others have attempted to "fix" the Requiem, each changing, adding to it, or attempting to recreate it in a more pure "Mozartian" style.

Kenneth Woods' article, Who Wrote the Mozart Requiem?, highlights some of the details about the work.

The book (below) examines the topic in more greater detail.

51M-LtZgvrL.jpg

What a wonderful, informed, fascinating post; thank you for posting this.

My (original, vinyl version - bought in Strasbourg close to 30 years ago) of Bach's Toccata, does actually mention the word 'Prelude', as in "Prelude and Fugue" and refers to the actual piece as the 'Toccata'.

Great post, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also being from Old Europe, but having grandchildren, I am aware of who Taylor Swift is. I personally find her music to be bland, there is nothing wrong with it of course. I am hardly her target audience, of course.:p

My granddaughters are however firmly in the “Arianator” camp which means that they live breath anything to do with Ariana Grande. This entails lots of purple giraffes.:confused:
Last year I took them to Schiphol to see Ariana arrive for a MTV Event, they screamed and waved. Oh to be young again, and the most important thing is, who is number one in the top 20.:cool:

We have become our parents, I remember my parents not knowing who Mick Jagger was.;)

Wonderful post, and very nicely expressed. The best of all worlds, to know what they youngsters like and admire without having to pay homage to it (or, for that matter, to view it with disdain) yourself….

Indeed, Happybunny, you seem to be elegantly equipoised between several worlds, and balanced beautifully in all of them without tilting exclusively towards one. This seems to have given you an enviable perspective on life…...

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Wonderful post, and very nicely expressed. The best of all worlds, to know what they youngsters like and admire without having to pay homage to it (or, for that matter, to view it with disdain) yourself….

Indeed, Happybunny, you seem to be elegantly equipoised between several worlds, and balanced beautifully in all of them without tilting exclusively towards one. This seems to have given you an enviable perspective on life…...

Thank you for your very kind words.

I think I get my insight from my grandfather and my parents, who always taught me to see the other person’s point of view, was just as valid. (except about football)

I always treat my granddaughters like little ADULTS, who’s opinions matter, I take the time to really listen to what they say. It’s how my grandfather was to me.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
No, truly, seriously, I have never, ever heard of Taylor Swift; and I am cheerfully and utterly oblivious to (and remain deeply uninterested in) much of what passes for popular mainstream culture, (and sport) especially (because I am not from the US and so remain ignorant of much of mainstream cultural references) much of that which comes from the US.

"Never, ever."

Oh, the irony. :rolleyes:

For those that have had this somehow slip past them:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Are_Never_Ever_Getting_Back_Together

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Actually, as you have probably realised, I don't feel bad, at all. Or, rather, I don't feel bad about not knowing who she is, and what she is about.

Rather, I do, however, feel bad that this is not a thread dedicated to the discussion of rich, luscious, aged Taylor port wines……- which is what I had thought it was when I first took a tentative peek at it -

Seriously, the 20 year old Taylor's is simply superb, sheer velvet, while the 10 year old shows terrific signs of depth and mellowness of flavour…..

Personally I find much more value in topics with PORT WINE with Taylor in it as oppose to a topic of Taylor with a Swift in it (ok nevermind) I just really really hate pop music.

Currently my favorite Port is Six Grapes, even after I try everything else I keep going back to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.