Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I will be connecting i) a Drobo 5D ii) a Thunderbolt display and iii) a MBA / Mac Mini...I am little confused as to how best to make this work.

The Drobo documentation is clear that "...the Drobo 5D performs best when it is the first in the daisy-chain, but it can also be in the middle or at the end...".

The first Thunderbolt-only scenario which came to mind was MBA/Mac Mini --> Thunderbolt display (where the MBA/Mac Mini is connected using the Thunderbolt cable that is part of the display) --> Drobo but this puts the Drobo at the end of the daisy-chain. This one works as it is described in the Drobo manual.

The second Thunderbolt-only scenario was MBA/Mac Mini --> Drobo --> Thunderbolt display (where the Drobo is connected using the Thunderbolt cable that is part of the display). The potential issue here is that I don't know whether this connection sequence will pass the "display" and "Ethernet connection" back to the MBA/Mac Mini through the Drobo.

Would greatly appreciate someone answering this for me.

Thanks,

Joel

plusnq

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
I will be connecting i) a Drobo 5D ii) a Thunderbolt display and iii) a MBA / Mac Mini...I am little confused as to how best to make this work.

The Drobo documentation is clear that "...the Drobo 5D performs best when it is the first in the daisy-chain, but it can also be in the middle or at the end...".

The first Thunderbolt-only scenario which came to mind was MBA/Mac Mini --> Thunderbolt display (where the MBA/Mac Mini is connected using the Thunderbolt cable that is part of the display) --> Drobo but this puts the Drobo at the end of the daisy-chain. This one works as it is described in the Drobo manual.

The second Thunderbolt-only scenario was MBA/Mac Mini --> Drobo --> Thunderbolt display (where the Drobo is connected using the Thunderbolt cable that is part of the display). The potential issue here is that I don't know whether this connection sequence will pass the "display" and "Ethernet connection" back to the MBA/Mac Mini through the Drobo.

Would greatly appreciate someone answering this for me.

Thanks,

Joel

The Drobo Thunderbolt is a pass through connection so either should work.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
the display info, and connections for the other ports on the monitor, are actually carried as thunderbolt, not a "display signal". which is why the thunderbolt display won't work if you only have a mini-displayport on your computer (even though the ports and connectors look the same)

the thunderbolt ports on the computer will re-configure themselves and send displayport data instead of thunderbolt if you plug in a displayport monitor.

http://www.cnet.com/news/confusing-mini-displayport-with-thunderbolt/

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
The Drobo Thunderbolt is a pass through connection so either should work.

the display info, and connections for the other ports on the monitor, are actually carried as thunderbolt, not a "display signal". which is why the thunderbolt display won't work if you only have a mini-displayport on your computer (even though the ports and connectors look the same)

the thunderbolt ports on the computer will re-configure themselves and send displayport data instead of thunderbolt if you plug in a displayport monitor.

http://www.cnet.com/news/confusing-mini-displayport-with-thunderbolt/

Thanks to both, very much appreciated...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.