Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcportable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2014
Hi everybody :)
I've bought a recycled Imac 27 late 2012 from a serious French seller (Fnac to be precise as famous in France as Amazon for example) 2 months ago.
After 2 or 3 weeks, it appeared that it suddenly crashed et shutdown : black screen, no response to keyboard, no error message displayed. The only way to restart it is to unplug the electrical cord and wait for a few minutes before plugging it again.
It happens quite often but not in a regular way, nor due to an excess of activity.
Here is my config :
Nom du modèle*: iMac
Identifiant du modèle*: iMac13,2
Nom du processeur*: Intel Core i5
Vitesse du processeur*: 2,9 GHz
Nombre de processeurs*: 1
Nombre total de cœurs*: 4
Cache de niveau 2 (par cœur)*: 256 Ko
Cache de niveau 3*: 6 Mo
Mémoire*: 16 Go
Version de la ROM de démarrage*: IM131.010A.B05
Version SMC (système)*: 2.11f14

Do you have any idea ?
Sorry for the approximate English and thank you so much for yoour help :)
Matthieu

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
Hi everybody :)
I've bought a recycled Imac 27 late 2012 from a serious French seller (Fnac to be precise as famous in France as Amazon for example) 2 months ago.
After 2 or 3 weeks, it appeared that it suddenly crashed et shutdown : black screen, no response to keyboard, no error message displayed. The only way to restart it is to unplug the electrical cord and wait for a few minutes before plugging it again.
It happens quite often but not in a regular way, nor due to an excess of activity.
Here is my config :
Nom du modèle*: iMac
Identifiant du modèle*: iMac13,2
Nom du processeur*: Intel Core i5
Vitesse du processeur*: 2,9 GHz
Nombre de processeurs*: 1
Nombre total de cœurs*: 4
Cache de niveau 2 (par cœur)*: 256 Ko
Cache de niveau 3*: 6 Mo
Mémoire*: 16 Go
Version de la ROM de démarrage*: IM131.010A.B05
Version SMC (système)*: 2.11f14

Do you have any idea ?
Sorry for the approximate English and thank you so much for yoour help :)
Matthieu

You may probably have done this to fix the issue but see if you have done it properly - Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Also run software updates to make sure your system is up to date.

Could the power cord be loose connection in any way?

You probably want to check if you still have warranty on it and better off sending it to an Apple Retail Store for hardware diagnostics - https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

mcportable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2014
SMC tried and cord ok

Thanks Asriznet :)

I've tried to reset SMC and it seems to get better for a few days then start again :)

I've also checked the RAM (original + Crucial). All is ok

The cord is OK.

I've a 3 month warranty, and I think I'm going to bring it back to the seller tomorrow.
Thanks for your help :)
Matthieu

kalebwyman

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2015
SMC tried and cord ok

Thanks Asriznet :)

I've tried to reset SMC and it seems to get better for a few days then start again :)

I've also checked the RAM (original + Crucial). All is ok

The cord is OK.

I've a 3 month warranty, and I think I'm going to bring it back to the seller tomorrow.
Thanks for your help :)
Matthieu

Do you have the 3 TB Fusion Drive? I have the same problems with my 27" Late 2012 iMac. Apple created a replacement program for this — many have been affected. "Apple has determined that a very small number of 3TB hard drives used in 27-inch iMac systems, may fail under certain conditions. These systems were sold between December 2012 and September 2013."

Here's the official support page for this program:
https://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive-3tb/

I have to take mine back to the Apple Store AGAIN... I've had the drive replaced once before, including many other components, before the Replacement Program was enacted under Apple Care. I believe it's a Seagate drive... apparently many of these were faulty. (If I knew this component was Seagate and not a more reliable partner, I never would have gone with it.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.