Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
For those out there that like Steam, the Marvel Heroes 2015 patch tonight included a steam client too. It went live about 15 minutes ago.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/226320/

It's big, about 13 GB. If your new to this, don't click PLAY at the character select screen before you actually choose a character otherwise your stuck with whichever one was facing forwards at the selection screen (looks like an advert!) until you unlock a new one a bit later in the game.

Cheers
Anim

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
This may well be fun but I have serious business to attend to.

I must prepare myself for the invasion of the Warlords of Draenor.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
I too find it interesting. Got Human Torch to level 30, he's great for big AOE mayhem blasting fire everywhere. The story to level 30 is like a movie, enjoyed it. The game plays like Diablo, lots of loot, lots of items, lots of mobs to mow down. The bosses in the game can be soloed. Loki was a right git to beat but I did it in the end.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I see you said it's FTP -- is it playable much without the micro transactions? Or are they needed to really get anywhere in the game? This looks interesting. I beat Diablo III on the regular difficulty and never played it again because I got bored quickly.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
I see you said it's FTP -- is it playable much without the micro transactions? Or are they needed to really get anywhere in the game? This looks interesting. I beat Diablo III on the regular difficulty and never played it again because I got bored quickly.

Yup, You can pay to speed up levelling, boost item drops or buy new characters faster than using in game currency. The only thing I would say is worth paying for is extra inv space (called S.T.A.S.H) but apart from that everything can be had in game for free.

Last edited:

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
The ones that get the Free To Play model right are the ones that you want to pay for, not the ones that force you to pay to play.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Sounds good to me. When my new iMac arrives, I will give this a shot. Thanks for the info!

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Been playing this for a week. Picked Rocket, level 18 right now. I basically get to set turrets everywhere and have Groot tank for me while I just run around and pick up loot.

This relaunch of this game is underrated. It's like a Marvel version of Diablo 3, just as fun, and totally free without doing any of the annoying things F2P games do to try to get your money.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
Been playing this for a week. Picked Rocket, level 18 right now. I basically get to set turrets everywhere and have Groot tank for me while I just run around and pick up loot.

This relaunch of this game is underrated. It's like a Marvel version of Diablo 3, just as fun, and totally free without doing any of the annoying things F2P games do to try to get your money.

I liked rocket too, played him on another free account (have 3 email addresses so created 3 accounts, only takes like 10 seconds per account as the registration is so fast). Groot is awesome. Will prob get Rocket as my next character on my main account too. So far have Human Torch, Hawkeye and Ghost Rider on my main account. Don't have any team-ups yet. The voice acting is really good too, all done to good effect for your character. Ghost riders voice is creepy where Human Torch jokes about barbecuing people lol. Hawkeye seemed really weak at the start but is supposed to improve later on thankfully.

Just started doing the green terminal quests and X-defence quests.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I see the Mac client is available as a Beta. Hmm it has my interest definitely.

But I still have some basic questions. If the game lets you pick a specific hero, like Spiderman, then can you team up with a friend who also is "another Spiderman"? I find that…. odd. :D

Also, sticking with the "I choose Spiderman" example. Can I customize my Spiderman? Can I choose if he is a Yellow-shirt or Blue-shirt Spiderman? Or do all Spidermans look exactly the same?

And skills. Does my Spiderman have an individualized skill-tree to select/choose/handpick from? Or when I level up, does the game already hard-determined exactly which skills any given Spiderman will always have?

Customizability and replayability are my concerns above.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
I see the Mac client is available as a Beta. Hmm it has my interest definitely.

But I still have some basic questions. If the game lets you pick a specific hero, like Spiderman, then can you team up with a friend who also is "another Spiderman"? I find that…. odd. :D

Also, sticking with the "I choose Spiderman" example. Can I customize my Spiderman? Can I choose if he is a Yellow-shirt or Blue-shirt Spiderman? Or do all Spidermans look exactly the same?

And skills. Does my Spiderman have an individualized skill-tree to select/choose/handpick from? Or when I level up, does the game already hard-determined exactly which skills any given Spiderman will always have?

Customizability and replayability are my concerns above.

I will try to answer as best as I can, also being a new player.

You can choose from one of 6 free starter heroes. Spiderman isn't one of them. When you choose your character, thats it. It is like one character per account BUT you can unlock all the others, about 30+ i think. And switch between them at will while still in the game. Takes about 6 seconds to switch.

You get the other characters by a few different ways.

a) They drop as a rare item
b) You spend some of the in game currencies called Splinters and buy a hero that way (i did this)
c) You buy one for real cash

Now, apart from getting a new character there is something called Team-Up which is a completely different way of using a character, your other purchased characters are not team-up characters, you buy them separately using the same method above. They join you in battle and are AI controlled. You can configure them to fight for you in different ways, e.g. just supply bonus stats, defend me etc.

The amount of configuration for the characters is quite complex. There are Omega Points which is a hex grid tree based skill boost system, synergy points, power points per character which are your main skills and you put into them as you see fit. Weapons that level with you, crafting, enchanting etc.

You also get costumes, these change the way your hero looks. For Hawkeye I have 3 costumes "Old Man", "Default" and another one, can't remember but I guess they match the comic styles. You can enhance the costumes by adding buffs to them via the crafter.

Speaking of the crafter, he is unique to you account and you level him up by dumping junk items on him. You can level your NPC enchanter, weapons, armor guys separately. As they level up they unlock new things they can do for you.

The best way to learn the game is via youtube as they seem to want you to discover things for yourself. The omega points baffled me up to a few days ago.

Edit: Each character has their own set of skill trees. It is like having 30 classes to choose from. You get 3 branches of skill discipline and can mix and match the branches or just concentrate spending your xp into one branch (lots of different builds).

When you switch to a newly acquired hero, he starts at level 1 and you level him up.

One thing I really like is that there is a teleport system called body slide that all characters get at level 1 that gets you back to the nearest hub (like a town) to sell junk, offload items for other characters that you find etc..and can optionally send you right back to the spot you teleported from. It has a 7 minute cool down so you can whiz back and forth while questing with very little downtime when you bag gets full or you need to teleport elsewhere using the hub teleportal gateway thingies.

There are supergroups (guilds), friends lists, create a party too

You can party up with the same heros, e.g. 3 supermans.

Not sure about the Team-Up system if you can buy your own character as a team-up character to join you though.

You unlock your character skills as you level up, it is up to you if you spend points into the new unlocked skill though.

Oh, almost forgot. Use the steam version of the client, not the standalone Mac Client. Steam will keep it updated for you and you get to talk to your friends via steam too. It's just a nicer management system imo. I have two copies of the game on my mac, will delete the standalone version in a few days.

Hope that helps.
Anim

Last edited:

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
/snip all kinds of cool info

Geeze, I have Warlords of Draenor coming up, I'm playing Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast and now you are making me want to play this. It does sound awesome.

Recently Steam had a special going (maybe it still is) where you could buy various characters for half off. I saw that and thought if I played this, I'd like the Avengers pack of them. It was 30 bucks on sale. I figured that and I would need to buy storage and maybe that would be enough for me to enjoy the game without feeling restricted in any way. Would I be right about that? Is there any stuff you need or would likely find yourself wanting? I don't mind spending something for a good game. How else can they keep it running? I'd just like to have some idea what it really costs though.

That said, I would initially try a free character just to get a feel for the game and be sure I like it, so F2P can be good there at least for a while.

Thanks for sharing all the info about this.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
Geeze, I have Warlords of Draenor coming up, I'm playing Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast and now you are making me want to play this. It does sound awesome.

Recently Steam had a special going (maybe it still is) where you could buy various characters for half off. I saw that and thought if I played this, I'd like the Avengers pack of them. It was 30 bucks on sale. I figured that and I would need to buy storage and maybe that would be enough for me to enjoy the game without feeling restricted in any way. Would I be right about that? Is there any stuff you need or would likely find yourself wanting? I don't mind spending something for a good game. How else can they keep it running? I'd just like to have some idea what it really costs though.

That said, I would initially try a free character just to get a feel for the game and be sure I like it, so F2P can be good there at least for a while.

Thanks for sharing all the info about this.

Give it a try, it's free and you will not feel gimped at all. The pay part is when you don't like waiting for splinter drops really but your so occupied with the game that you end up with enough splinters to get a random hero box while still in the story mode of the game (I did).

The story mode is really well done with comic styled cut scenes, I thought it was fun to do and you won't want to spend any money at this point either as there is just lots going on, lots to learn and you don't feel bored.

Your not forced into a play style like some games make you party up to progress, you can do everything solo. Each zone has a boss timer, they spawn like every 2 or 3 minutes and its mayhem with everybody on a mass attack. You will die (I died by running around a corner and the boss was charging in my direction, i got flattened and one shotted) but 20 seconds later I was back in the fight.

If I was to start again I would try Rocket Racoon, he has gadgets to deploy and a tanking pet but Human Torch is powerful too but there is so much fire and destruction going on I can't see where my character is standing :D Need to tweak my graphic settings I think.

One word of warning though is that purchased hero packs with Mac Steam can not be viewed in Mac Steam (As far as I know), you have to load Windows steam to get the key via the "View CD Key" menu. I'm sure this is just a teething issue at the moment as Mac Steam client only went live a few days ago.

Last edited:

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Oh man, I can play as Doctor Strange! I'm going to have to look into this...

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Glad to see they have Colossus, so that's who I'll be looking to play when I give this a shot.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Wow. I took me over a day to download this! Wonder if it's because I downloaded it from the website instead of Steam... sheesh. And my connection was never maxed out. Anyway, going to finally try this out. Have seen some promising videos on YouTube.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
Wow. I took me over a day to download this! Wonder if it's because I downloaded it from the website instead of Steam... sheesh. And my connection was never maxed out. Anyway, going to finally try this out. Have seen some promising videos on YouTube.

Yeah the steam client goes flat out and auto updates nicely, for me anyway. Some people on patch day end up having to download the whole thing again. Luckily I haven't.

I've bought both hero packs now. I like playing Cable at the moment.

So, how you getting on?
Which character did you choose?

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I wound up picking Colossus, as I always liked him. I'm still feeling my way around the game, but am enjoying it so far. I am sure there are a lot of comparisons to Diablo. I played the heck out of the first 2, and the 3rd one wasn't very interesting to me, but I think with this being in the Marvel universe, it may hold my interest much more.

Haven't spent any money yet on the game, but see a few packs that look good. Only did a few missions because I'm still setting up this new iMac, and I've been spending more time trying to fix my iTunes library, which totally got wrecked when I migrated from my Mac Mini. Ugh.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Bump

Everyone should try this game

This past weekend = buy one character get one free

They're pumping out additional content and characters like nothing

Along with LoL and TF2, this is how F2P should be done

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I downloaded this last year on my Parallels Win7 virtual machine and setup a starter character but didn't end up playing it as I ended up jumping back into Star Wars the Old Republic instead since I had windows open :)

Tried downloading it a few weeks ago (since the mac beta is out) and it was taking way too long (and I have 55mbps down). Finally got it setup yesterday and started. Only played about 10 minutes but it feels like Diablo and looks good.

I was doing this outside steam (the mac client beta directly from them). Looks like it could be a lot of fun. Gonna give it a good go sometime in the next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.