Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breezysun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
I'm hoping someone can help me.

I did not really understand how time machine worked. I'd lost my 20,000+ pictures not too long ago. I was able to rebuild my iPhoto and I salvaged the photos. That prompted me to buy an external hard drive just for my pictures. I purchased the Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB.

I was not able to get the SG dashboard to show my PC and read that I needed to have it work with time machine. Somewhere after about 3 hours trying to figure this out (obviously I'm not so technology literate) I replaced the time machine back up with my new drive rather than using it in addition to the Seagate. I've just learned, via youtube, that I did it all incorrectly now causing this problem for me. Now when I look for my factory installed time machine drive it says "Your Time Machine backup disk cannot be found."

My question is can I reverse the mess I made? I suppose that I can back up the entire computer with the new Seagate but it defeats the purpose of why I bought it to begin with.

Help please.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I can back up the entire computer with the new Seagate but it defeats the purpose of why I bought it to begin with.

Do this. Right now. Having your pictures in a single place, whether internal or external, means you will lose them at some point.

At the moment you say you have everything except the original Time Machine drive? If so simply turn Time Machine off, then 5mins later turn it back on and tell it to use the external Seagate drive and just let it backup, and keep backed up <everything>.

Once you have that, I'd recommend you buy another identical Seagate and tell Time Machine to use that one as well, then keep that one away from home (office?), connect to it when you can and you will have a second backup should fire or theft strike....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.