Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
No troubles with my N5. Battery life is not quite as good as my iPhone 5 & 5S were, but not horrible. Gets me though the day with maybe 30% to spare (iPhone was maybe 45%).

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Love my Nexus 5 so far. Switched over to Android at the end of June. Much happier paying lower monthly fees compared to owning an iPhone. Sure there are some trade offs but I'm getting used to everything. Battery life is a little bit less than my iPhone but my Nexus 5 was off the charger at 6AM and lasted till 11PM with I believe 20% battery left so not bad.

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2005
My N5's battery life can be better but I have to say that I use it more than I've used any other phone I've owned. I even prefer to do things on it that I can do with the iPad mini that I have lying around. I guess if the N6 ends up being a 5.9" mammoth in a tight body à la LG G3, I'd be a happy man.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I read that there was an update to the speaker grill earlier this year. Does anyone know if the updated phones are louder? I'm thinking about trying the Nexus 5 again and remember wishing the speaker was louder last year.

----------

Speaker sounds fine on mine, very clear and decent volume. I wonder if you have a bad unit or they fixed the design at some point.

Camera is a bit better, aside from the OS updates there was a new camera app update.

When did you order your Nexus 5? I bought one at launch and the speaker wasn't loud enough. Every time I listened to something I'd find myself pressing the button to increase volume because it sounded like it was turned down really low. For comparison, with my iPhone I'd never use it at max volume.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Probably last fall, a few months after release. I also read that there were some tweaks and improvements but I haven't used one of the earlier ones to compare. The one I have is plenty loud enough for me, comparable to other phones I've heard.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
With the announcement of the 6 today, they have their website for the 5 updated. Still selling it, same price and with android 5 so we should be seeing that software update available hopefully before too long.

http://www.google.com/nexus/5/

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'm trying to sell my 5, and I've gotten very few bites. I'm not sure if it was due to people holding tight to see what the 6 would be about, but now that pricing and other information about the 6 is out there, maybe I'll see some more interest in my 5.

JunBringer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2014
I'll be keeping my 5 for a bit and enjoying Lollipop, even though I'm not super into the device itself anymore. I was spoiled by my Xperia and it's sd slot and waterproofing.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm trying to sell my 5, and I've gotten very few bites. I'm not sure if it was due to people holding tight to see what the 6 would be about, but now that pricing and other information about the 6 is out there, maybe I'll see some more interest in my 5.

Nexus phones are hard to sell locally. You really need to go online to swappa

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Do we think Google will drop the price of the N5 anytime soon now that the N6 is out?

Doubt it since they're still selling it instead of discontinuing it like in the past. And if they were going to drop the price they probably would have done it along with the refreshed website for the 5.

PFKMan23

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
Doubt it since they're still selling it instead of discontinuing it like in the past. And if they were going to drop the price they probably would have done it along with the refreshed website for the 5.

They're still selling it for now. I'm not so sure they aren't just depleting their remaining inventory or just waiting until the 29th and then taking the Nexus 5 off the Play store.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
They're still selling it for now. I'm not so sure they aren't just depleting their remaining inventory or just waiting until the 29th and then taking the Nexus 5 off the Play store.

This is what I think will happen. Around the time you can preorder the nexus 6, the price of the nexus 5 may drop by $50ish. They will keep that price until they run out of inventory.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
If they were just selling depleting inventory would they have gone to the trouble of creating a whole new updated website for the 5?

And would they have made such a big deal out of shipping the 5 with Android L if they were just burning off existing inventory? Heck, would they even have bothered updating and shipping with L instead of just shipping the rest with 4.4.x and letting people upgrade when it's available?

Seems obvious that the 5 will be around awhile to provide an alternative to the 6 that is way too big for many users. My guess would be it stays until the 7 is announced but we'll see.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If they were just selling depleting inventory would they have gone to the trouble of creating a whole new updated website for the 5?

And would they have made such a big deal out of shipping the 5 with Android L if they were just burning off existing inventory? Heck, would they even have bothered updating and shipping with L instead of just shipping the rest with 4.4.x and letting people upgrade when it's available?

Seems obvious that the 5 will be around awhile to provide an alternative to the 6 that is way too big for many users. My guess would be it stays until the 7 is announced but we'll see.

You did bring up some good points. Do you remember if the nexus 4 shipped with kitkat prior to selling out? I know it received kitkat, but I do not remember if it ever actually shipped with it.

Random, but do you think it would actually be called the nexus 7? I think it will stay with screen size. (nexus 7, nexus 10, nexus 9)

joe8232

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2005
I'm thinking about buying a nexus 5, ideally I'd like a black one but the US play store is out of stock. Do people think I should just suck it up and get the white one or wait and see if they come back into stock?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm thinking about buying a nexus 5, ideally I'd like a black one but the US play store is out of stock. Do people think I should just suck it up and get the white one or wait and see if they come back into stock?

I didn't even notice that it is out of stock. That could be a sign that it will never come back. I would suggest buying the white before it is gone.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
It's probably gonna be out of stock until L starts shipping.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the 5 drop to $299 around December. I'm surprised they kept it at $349 for so long.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

Given the re-designed "Lollipopped" Nexus 5 on display on the Nexus 5 page, I'd hope they plan on selling it going forward.

N5-hero-1600.jpg

To go to that effort and abandon it would be surprising!

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
As of right now, all 6 versions of Nexus 5 are We are out of inventory

3 different colors x 2 storage size = 6 versions.

Nexus 5 might never come back again.

Would LG do a Xiaomi and update the Nexus 5 and sell it online only for $299?

LG can't call it the Nexus 5 but it could call it the N5.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Then why did Google update its page along side the N6, the N9 and the player with the 5 6 9 thing?

Yeah, the fact that all models are showing out of stock (without warning), probably means they are updating them with android L. Since they are advertising ships with L, they have to literally update those devices manually that they have on-hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.