Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Running 10.7.5 on Mac Pro 5,1. WHen I try to reate DMG file on SSD drive and HD partition I get "unable to create "test.dmg"- resource busy". Happens on HD partition too. Any ideas? (There is enough space)

Nov 28, 2010
located
And a restart didn't solve it either?
And what exact settings did you use in Disk Utility (unless you used another method) to create that DMG?

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
And a restart didn't solve it either?
And what exact settings did you use in Disk Utility (unless you used another method) to create that DMG?

Thanks for reply. Restart did not solve it. I just created an image on the near twin of the problem machine at home, using the same DU settings and it worked on my personal machine (Samsung SSD scratch):

Click new image and navigate to scratch disk. Settings are:
name: Disk Image
size: 100MB
encryption: none
partitions: single partition, Apple partition map
image format: read/write disk image

I tried different settings at office and got error consistently. Is this error ever expected with a particular setting? I standardized on the above test settings since they allowed me to create (on my office machine) a DMG on a HD but not my SSD scratch disk. The office machine also has Samsung scratch disk. Both machines '09 Mac Pros (4,1 flashed to 5,1) running OS 10.7.5 with various internal HDs and mostly same software. Office machine is quad core 2.4GHz w/32GB RAM. Home machine is 8 core 2.93GHz w/16GB RAM. Only other difference is Mac wireless keyboard and trackpad on office machine w/Apple bluetooth on. Bluetooth at home is turned off (Apple card failed but I have a dongle which I'm not currently using).

This never happened before at office. I burn DVDs with photography and always went smoothly. A recent change in office which I forgot to mention is Plantronics bluetooth headset. I have not burned a DVD since adding the headset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.