Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kieranread

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
I have a 2011 Macbook Pro i7, I decided to upgrade the main drive to an SSD and remove the CD tray, in its place I bought a caddy and wiped my drive to use it as storage, the speed of accessing that second drive is extremely slow, as in the speed's I have been getting were around 80 Read and 50 write (MB/s) I was not sure whether to put this down to the enclosure I bought or what, Any suggestions or whether I should upgrade to the OWC enclosure if that would make a difference!

:(

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I have a 2011 Macbook Pro i7, I decided to upgrade the main drive to an SSD and remove the CD tray, in its place I bought a caddy and wiped my drive to use it as storage, the speed of accessing that second drive is extremely slow, as in the speed's I have been getting were around 80 Read and 50 write (MB/s) I was not sure whether to put this down to the enclosure I bought or what, Any suggestions or whether I should upgrade to the OWC enclosure if that would make a difference!

:(

I think 80/50 is about right for a 5400rpm 500GB drive (or so), what speed do you think you were getting in the main drive bay?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I think 80/50 is about right for a 5400rpm 500GB drive (or so), what speed do you think you were getting in the main drive bay?

Agreed.

OP, your optical drive interface may be SATA II instead of SATA III, but that isn't going to make a huge difference unless you absolutely need speed.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Yes sorry, just trying to be clear that he is getting the raw hdd speed, nothing else would be limiting it :)

kieranread

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011

Agreed.

OP, your optical drive interface may be SATA II instead of SATA III, but that isn't going to make a huge difference unless you absolutely need speed.

Sorry if what I said was not too clear! The drive speeds seem fine(After thinking about it that isnt too bad for a HDD lol), which is what I was thinking but accessing files via finder (So opening the drive and loading a folder) takes a lot of time, its not instantaneous like it used to be when the HDD was in slot 1

As for SATA, I believe both are SATA 3 after checking system profiler

Thanks for the help :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.