Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Hi Everyone,
I have a 2007 Mac Pro (running Snow Leopard 10.6.8) which I use for primarily for recording my songs, mainly in GarageBand (the Snow Leopard version, not the current version), and also with Reaper (another Digital Audio Workstation multitrack recording app/program).

I have intermittently had a problem burning .WAV tracks to CD ever since I bought the Mac Pro, and would like some help with this.

I know that I can export GarageBand .aifs to iTunes, and export them from there as .WAV's, and I do not have any problems burning those to CD so that the CD plays properly.

However, if I 'save as'/export tracks as .WAV's (from either GarageBand or Reaper) to, say, my desktop, and then choose the 'Burn to Disc' option, I get the problem mentioned above (no music, loud buzzing sound).

I should note that these tracks have been saved 'correctly' as .WAVs because they play fine in iTunes and VLC.

What am I doing wrong in the process of trying to burn tracks from my desktop to CD, and is there any way of saving/exporting tracks without having to use iTunes, and then burning them to CD so that they will play (I suspect that I could successfully burn them to DVD to 'store' them as computer files, and that they would play fine in a computer)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

gvdv

Nov 28, 2010
located
Burn has an AUDIO tab and the option to burn AUDIO-CDs, which is easier to use than the whole iTunes ****.
Maybe give it a try and see, if it helps in your process of creating audio CDs out of WAV files.

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Hi simsaladimbamba,
Many thanks for your recommendation of using Burn.

I will try that in the next couple of days.

The problems I was having also forced me to finally get to grips with understanding that most CD players will not play .WAV files and that these (and other files) are converted to CUE/BIN format when specialized programs like Burn (I presume) create a 'container' for these files that CD players will recognize.

At least I think that that is what is happening, and this is very similar to what a DVD encoder does.

Thanks, once again, for your help.

Bookshelf

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2008
Hi Everyone,
What am I doing wrong in the process
gvdv
Many audio players don't recognize a data disks.
The simples solution is to move the wav files to iTunes then burn them to cd.
They will still be wav files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.