Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have a Joy Factory case on my rMini, along with a Ghost Armor screen protector - yes, I'm paranoid :D

When I go to sell the rMini, it will be in pristine condition (provided something bad doesn't happen, i.e., dropping it).

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I realise I have an older iPad, but it's dependent what you use it for.

Mine is in the kitchen a fair bit as I use it as a cookbook with recipes collected in evernote. Invariably it'll end up getting put in or on a stain I've missed on the worktop...

So mine has been in a knomo folio case for 18 months+. I'm also too clumsy to not have something on it!

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
I always use my iPad Air naked and it feels great (as it was intended). It rarely leaves the house, but when it does, I put on the Apple cover just for traveling. The bezels seem fine and don't bother me. I also have Apple Care+ on it. I love looking through pictures on it, amazing device. ;)

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I use the iPad Mini naked. My wife used to have a cover on it. She stopped using it and when I started to use it, I found the cover to be uncomfortable when holding, so I removed the cover. It is more comfortable to hold without any cover or case.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
No way, Jose. Been there, done that. Ended up with a dented iPad. I just use a smart cover for the screen and a Caudabe Shell for the back. It's thin, light and translucent so the overall unit is still pretty slim. Wouldn't go for any thicker and wouldn't go without.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
I use the iPad Mini naked. My wife used to have a cover on it. She stopped using it and when I started to use it, I found the cover to be uncomfortable when holding, so I removed the cover. It is more comfortable to hold without any cover or case.

I keep the Smart Cover when not in use and remove it for use as well.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I use my iPad Air with a cheap carbon fiber sticker I bought off ebay. It doesn't look amazing (but I don't really care) but it does give the back some texture which I appreciate. I really don't like the feel of the bare aluminum - too slippery.

So far I'm not using anything else (except for a logitech ultrathin keyboard cover sometimes but that is more for the keyboard than for any kind of protection). I generally carry it around in a purse that has a padded compartment for a laptop. So far my iPad is still looking pristine :)

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I think letting a several hundred dollar device go without a case is stupid, to be honest. Accidents are called accidents for a reason. There are so many cases out there that, even if you don't like the bulk, you can find something that works. I've got a Caudabe Shell that protects the back. It's smart cover compatible so I can take off the smart cover as I wish. Goodbye inadvertent dents and scratching.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I think letting a several hundred dollar device go without a case is stupid, to be honest. Accidents are called accidents for a reason. There are so many cases out there that, even if you don't like the bulk, you can find something that works. I've got a Caudabe Shell that protects the back. It's smart cover compatible so I can take off the smart cover as I wish. Goodbye inadvertent dents and scratching.

U just called half of everybody here stupid. :eek:

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I got the iPad 1 a month or two after it came out and immediately put a screen protector on it. Ditto for all of my smartphones.

About a year ago, I bought a Windows 8.1 tablet and didn't put a screen protector on it. So far, no scratches. The way that Gorilla Glass keeps improving, as well as what sapphire appears to provide, I doubt that I'll ever go back to putting screen protectors on my tablets or phones. My current phone is a Nexus 4, which a lot of owners say has a screen and back that are easily cracked. But I dropped mine screen first onto a ceramic tile floor, and fortunately nothing happened.

The iPad 1 is built like a tank. My wife bought me a case, but I don't use it very often. Just one small scratch. I haven't handled any other iPads, so I don't know how they hold up.

The Windows tablet is a Lenovo Lynx and has a plastic body. It initially felt flimsy and seemed prone to damage, as many reviewers speculated. But a year later, the back has no scratches or cracks. I've never bought a case for it.

YMMV, of course. The main factor is how and where you'll be using it. For example, if I used a tablet on a train commute five days a week, I definitely would have it in a case at all times. Ditto if I were planning to sell it every time a model came out.

I also talk with a lot of school districts that provide students with iPads. Although they all say that breakage is in the low single-digit percentages, they also say that cases are a major reason why.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
When not in a bag, I just use a smart cover, which I really like because it adds virtually no bulk and serves as a useful stand.

If I'm using a bag with a padded base, I will often just throw it in the bag without any additional protection. Otherwise, I will put the whole thing (iPad with smart cover) inside a cheap neoprene sleeve.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I use a smart cover and keep it face down when not in use. In use I usually take the cover off. I don't like cases on any devices unless they're being transported somewhere.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I could never go without a case. Sometimes when I'm at home, I go caseless but whenever I go out and take it with me, it has to be in a case.

KingKen1986

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
I have a MODAL thin smart case in grey for my space grey retina mini. The second I took my retina mini out of the box I put it in the case and it never comes out. I will take it out when I feel brave enough and want to admire it..currently I just admire the box...lol. But I did just get it a couple of weeks ago so I'm a little over protective of her.

kanon14

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Hong Kong
Like many others, I used mine with only a Smart Cover. I would've gone without a screen protector if it isn't for the stylus I use to write. I don't really treat my iPad like jewellery and it went to different countries with me with the same setup. No scratches whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.