Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Yep,

I've got it on one of my SD cards.

Haven't had much need to use it yet.

Might try out raw video at some point but equally it's quite a lot of hassle.

For stills I'm not sure if there are any benefits that I would enjoy.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Yep,

I've got it on one of my SD cards.

Haven't had much need to use it yet.

Might try out raw video at some point but equally it's quite a lot of hassle.

For stills I'm not sure if there are any benefits that I would enjoy.

RAW video has been the only thing of actual interest

thanks for the info!!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Now I've got a new laptop with a speedy flash drive I may give it more consideration.

It's unfortunate that the software is still not an official release ML making it a bit buggy.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I concur

I am really worried of bricking the camera. That's the only reason I haven't installed it as of yet

and ML forums are full of sanscrit type conversations of things my little brain cannot grasp (firmware jargon), so in case I brick it, I will have a real hard time bringing it back to life, if ever.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I concur

I am really worried of bricking the camera. That's the only reason I haven't installed it as of yet

and ML forums are full of sanscrit type conversations of things my little brain cannot grasp (firmware jargon), so in case I brick it, I will have a real hard time bringing it back to life, if ever.

I think that I am right in saying that no one has ever bricked their camera with ML. It's installed on the SD card so it's as simple as turning the camera off and removing it!

schwadorf

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
Istanbul
I haven't heard anyone saying they bricked their camera with ML either.

I, however, had my 5DMkIII halted one or two times while using ML but it's just a case of removing the battery and reattaching it to get it to work again.

They made it really easy to install & uninstall ML in the newer builds so just give it a go. I would say it's pretty stable for a hack.

Puckman

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Yorba Linda, CA
I've had it on my 6D for a few weeks. No issue to report.
I don't do video, but it does come in handy for stills in some areas.
- BULB mode (you can set the duration).
- Intervalometer (for those star trail or similar shots)
- Turns off the GPS when the camera is off so it doesn't drain the battery (known issue on stock 6D)
- Some other goodies like zebras and peak focusing, which I have yet to play with.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
thought I should necromance this thread as I finally installed ML on my 6D by following this vid here

as always, at your own risk.

If you haven't updated to 1.1.3 prior to this, when you update to 1.1.3 and then go to put ML on your SD, make sure you remove the 1.1.3 from your SD as your camera will ignore ML on the SD.

As there is no ML build for 1.1.4, if you really want ML, just update back to 1.1.3 following usual procedure.

cheerios

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I've had it on my 6D for a few weeks. No issue to report.
I don't do video, but it does come in handy for stills in some areas.
- BULB mode (you can set the duration).
- Intervalometer (for those star trail or similar shots)
- Turns off the GPS when the camera is off so it doesn't drain the battery (known issue on stock 6D)
- Some other goodies like zebras and peak focusing, which I have yet to play with.

I love focus peaking on Magic Lantern!

My 1.2 with its hairline/razor thinness focus shift has been quite a hassle. I even got the focusing screen but couldn't be bothered to replace it for daily use.

Now, even in low light, I can net where I want it. Granted, through live view but it's a cool feature that's defintely helped me out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.