Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LittleGwen

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
USA
lol. wouldn't worry about the screen wearing out. i use the ipad pretty extensively and no problems yet. Except my battery life seems to be getting shorter... and shorter... and shorter...

and i'm pretty sure people's interest in their iPad will wear out faster than the machine.. :D

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Tell your friend that he is unnecessarily "wearing out" his bank balance by buying fancy devices and then failing to get the most out of them.

Put a different way, if you "wear out" an iPad by using it that much, then you darn well got your money's worth.

iDogPoo

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2014
Something for the Testers...

I have used my iPad extensively since I bought about three years ago. I have taken great care of it, and it looks just as it did the day I bought it.

I don't think wearing the screen out is anything to be concerned with. Considering "Computer Years" - which are worse than dog-years, I have to think it would not be an issue even if the screen does show wear after extensive use. Here's what I mean - I once had an iPod Touch Second Generation. If the screen showed any wear, I would not care about it. My iPad's a little different. It was priced at about $800 when I bought it, and I would hate for it to die on me even now. But I use it for a gaming device, and have spent hours and hours on it on some days, and there is zero evidence that the screen is blemished from over-use. I would think, therefor, that something else would go - such as the battery - before the screen wears out.

The battery can be replaced, but the cost of replacing the battery is likely to be more than the device would sell for by the time that happens.

I have to say - the worst thing I ever did to my iPad's screen was attempt to put those protective membranes over it. I tried and failed that with three different screen covers. I heard that the screen is coated with an "oil-phobic" finish that does wear off after a while. If so, then I would think it came off when I removed those really sticky protectors when I failed to put them on satisfactorily. To this day, there is nothing I use to protect the screen (save for the case I keep it in when it not being used), and there is no evidence that any coating came off or is worn off anywhere on the screen. If you keep the screen nice and safe, it will stay that way - no matter how much you use your iPad.

All that said, I would like to see just how durable the screen really is. On YouTube, there are videos of iPads (and other such devices) going through a "Torture Test." I would like to see a buffer, or some such thing, rubbing the screen out until it shows signs of wear.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Sounds to me more like the wife wanted some dedicated 'Me Time' with it... :eek::cool::D;):rolleyes:

----------

I have to say - the worst thing I ever did to my iPad's screen was attempt to put those protective membranes over it. I tried and failed that with three different screen covers. I heard that the screen is coated with an "oil-phobic" finish that does wear off after a while. If so, then I would think it came off when I removed those really sticky protectors when I failed to put them on satisfactorily. To this day, there is nothing I use to protect the screen (save for the case I keep it in when it not being used), and there is no evidence that any coating came off or is worn off anywhere on the screen. If you keep the screen nice and safe, it will stay that way - no matter how much you use your iPad.

The OtterBox cases come with a screen cover. I've never had a problem with using that, except that somehow dog hairs like to get under the cover, and getting them out is sometimes frustrating due to the static electricity that tends to attract MORE hairs when I try to remove the one(s) stuck already...

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Personally, I've never understood people who avoid pressing the physical buttons on their devices for fear of wearing them out. I'm pretty sure they're designed to take many years of pressing. The device is made to be used, after all.

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
After reading this thread, I just enquired of the significant other (who was next to me in bed) whether her ear has started wearing out the top part of the glass on her iPhone, given how much time she spends yapping on it...

I'm presently writing this from the sofa in the lounge.

;)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If anything, the battery is the most vulnerable part from wear-and-tear.

yep. And maybe the oleophobic coating if you aren't careful cleaning the iPad (i.e. using cleaners that damage it). I suppose if you really use it non stop for hours and hours and had the brightness up full blast you could wear out the backlight eventually.

----------

Older (resistive) based panels this was very much a possibility - but capacitive not so much.

hmmmm, reminds me of folks that still insist on using a screensaver to prevent burn in even though it isn't really an issue these days

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
hmmmm, reminds me of folks that still insist on using a screensaver to prevent burn in even though it isn't really an issue these days

Burn in is still a problem with most flat panels. While it takes a bit longer than it did with a CRT, it can still happen. Happened to a few of the displays at work and the TV in the cafeteria area.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
The OtterBox cases come with a screen cover. I've never had a problem with using that, except that somehow dog hairs like to get under the cover, and getting them out is sometimes frustrating due to the static electricity that tends to attract MORE hairs when I try to remove the one(s) stuck already...

Wait... Are you a werewolf??? :eek:

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I would have never thought about The screen wearing out until I read the thread. Now I can see were some people might think that. People who had access to or saw people using older devices they did have some wear places on the screen. I've come along way since then :D

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Tell your friend that he is unnecessarily "wearing out" his bank balance by buying fancy devices and then failing to get the most out of them.

Put a different way, if you "wear out" an iPad by using it that much, then you darn well got your money's worth.

I want to subscribe to your newsletter!

mike_ic97

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2015
I thought this was amusing enough to share here (and I hope it's ok/this is the right form).
A classmate of mine was shocked that I used my iPad for school every day. He said that e and his wife have an iPad but if he uses it a lot his wife yells at him to use his laptop instead because he is going to "wear out" the iPad. He asked if I was worried about "wearing it out." I had NO idea what he meant by this and he said he was worried the screen would wear out from over use. I had no good response except to laugh a bit.
I thought you all may get a kick out of the story. And I'm left wondering what (If anything) they use their iPad for...?

I am a repair technician, we repair about 20 iPads a week. Assuming you will never physically damage your iPad; I'd definitely consider the battery as the first and usual suspect. That being said, iPad batteries usually get you 3-5 years with moderate to heavy use.

Secondly, (6+ years) the components on the motherboard used to pass current into the battery when charging the device do heat and cool significantly albeit are usually only damaged by aftermarket chargers with poor regulation.

Third I would consider the flash memory, LCD back light, the chip that drives the back light, as well as the cpu and gpu chip it'self but we're talking 10+ years for this.

Sadly, in my experience, the user replacing the iPad after about 3 years due to the latest software affecting performance is what gets the iPad in a landfill.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
tell your wife she is nuts. Then go out and buy your own iPad so you don't have to get nagged at when you want to relax after a hard days work and kick back to surf the web or what not. Next time she tells you to stop wearing out the iPad tell her you will wear out her rear end if she talks to you like that again. Grow a pair and get your own iPad....

;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.