Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I don't think I've ever read an autobiography of a celebrity. I wonder if they really write them or if they hire ghostwriters to write their books and the celebrities take all the credit.

So far this doesn't really read as a biography. mostly provided insight to the culture of hip-hop and Jay's lyrics. similar to what you would see on rapgenius.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Absolutely stellar book. It's absolutely no surprise that it's been named by at least 5 publications as "best fiction of 2010." It's about an alternate 8th century China, where a young man can suddenly influence the future of an empire. The story is riveting and doesn't let you go. The characters are ALL developed incredibly well. Main characters and minor characters all are fleshed out. An amazing book, I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical fiction..

as an aside, I didn't know until I looked him up that Guy Gavriel Kay was the guy who edited Tolkien's stuff after he died. no wonder he's so amazing. I'm definitely going to pick up some of his other books now, when I get the time.

when was it written?

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Seems too dry for me to just read, so i'm audio booking it.

51S2iJN3DYL._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,BottomRight,13,73_AA300_.jpg

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Same here. I have a couple of books that I've started months even years ago but haven't gotten around to finishing them. Maybe someday :)

Well, with that said, I opened my Kindle app and will return, right after this post, to reading one of David Weber's books, A Flag in Exile, which I left off in chapter 8 back in January! :eek:

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Just started Relic by Preston and Child. This is the first book in the Special Agent Pendergast series.

71b2_ZGQo_Yh_L.jpg

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
How are they as a team? I have a book by them, something cemetary or another, but I've never gotten around to reading it. Are they any good?

Do you mean Cemetery Dance? That's the ninth book in the series. Anyway, it's too early to tell. I might be able to know halfway through, if you're patient and interested? :)

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Do you mean Cemetery Dance? That's the ninth book in the series. Anyway, it's too early to tell. I might be able to know halfway through, if you're patient and interested? :)

Hey, I'm subscribed to this thread, let me know. :) haha I didn't know it was the 9th in a series, that's good to know.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have just spent a few days - while under a duvet and several warm blankets, resting and recuperating - reading an interesting (and, unfortunately, an all too accurate and very well written) book called 'Emergency Sex and Other Measures' (the title is actually rather misleading and refers to what stressed people working in war zones may get up to by way of distraction and oblivion while seeking recreation) by Ken Cain, Andrew Thomson and Heidi Postelwait.

The latter two authors - who were still working with the UN when the book was published seem to have been reprimanded for writing the book; this is most regrettable.

Dr Thomson worked as a forensic pathologist in both Rwanda and Bosnia, after the mass murders, and genocide had happened, and what he unearthed (quite literally) served as evidence which enabled some of the perpetrators to be brought to justice.

All three have served with the UN in a variety of missions since the early 1990s (starting with Cambodia in 1992) and have worked, singly, or together, in places such as Liberia, Haiti, Rwanda (after the genocide), and Bosnia.

Last edited:

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
I have just spent a few days - while under a duvet and several warm blankets, resting and recuperating - reading an interesting (and, unfortunately, an all too accurate and very well written) book called 'Emergency Sex and Other Measures' (the title is actually rather misleading and refers to what stressed people working in war zones may get up to by way of distraction and oblivion while seeking recreation) by Ken Cain, Andrew Thomson and Heidi Postelwait.

The latter two authors - who were still working with the UN when the book was published seem to have been reprimanded for writing the book; this is most regrettable.

Dr Thomson worked as a forensic pathologist in both Rwanda and Bosnia, after the mass murders, and genocide had happened, and what he unearthed (quite literally) served as evidence which enabled some of the perpetrators to be brought to justice.

All three have served with the UN in a variety of missions since the early 1990s (starting with Cambodia in 1992) and have worked, singly, or together, in places such as Liberia, Haiti, Rwanda (after the genocide), and Bosnia.

You always read the most interesting of books. I wish I had more time to read... Someday, right, Scribe?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
You always read the most interesting of books. I wish I had more time to read... Someday, right, Scribe?

Well, I am one of those who always has a book (or two) to hand. Mind you, I rarely watch TV, unless it is news or current affairs, and, even then, I often get my news from online sources when I am working abroad.

Anyway, now I am reading Peter Ackroyd's book "London: The Biography." Fascinating stuff.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Well, I am one of those who always has a book (or two) to hand. Mind you, I rarely watch TV, unless it is news or current affairs, and, even then, I often get my news from online sources when I am working abroad.

Anyway, now I am reading Peter Ackroyd's book "London: The Biography." Fascinating stuff.

You really don't watch TV? Like for entertainment? Movies? Plus, it seems like you only read non-fiction, mostly politics and history related. Do you not read fiction books? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. There are a lot of people who don't/cannot enjoy fiction books; they can't enjoy reading a book with imaginary events and people. I'm just curious if you feel the same.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
You really don't watch TV? Like for entertainment? Movies? Plus, it seems like you only read non-fiction, mostly politics and history related. Do you not read fiction books? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. There are a lot of people who don't/cannot enjoy fiction books; they can't enjoy reading a book with imaginary events and people. I'm just curious if you feel the same.

The majority of my reading, when I actually make time for it, is non-fiction, with a little bit of fiction mixed in. I prefer books on real-world stuff, because, sometimes, you just make make things up like they really happen! What do they say? Truth is stranger than fiction!

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
The majority of my reading, when I actually make time for it, is non-fiction, with a little bit of fiction mixed in. I prefer books on real-world stuff, because, sometimes, you just make make things up like they really happen! What do they say? Truth is stranger than fiction!

I personally enjoy reading both equally. In fact I'm currently reading a fiction book which I've posted a few days ago called Relic and at the same time I'm re-reading one of my favorite non-fiction books, The Boys in the Boat. If you haven't read this book, you have to! A very compelling and beautifully told story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.