Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hi everyone,
I've been working in a university lab getting 30 macs in top shape and I would like to make sure nothing is changed by students, so I want to disable access to system preferences for the managed student user account. I've tried doing this through parental controls, however this has caused some problems when launching other applications (specifically Chrome and adobe creative cloud, perhaps there are others). Disabling access to system preferences seems to also also disable access to some other key services that cannot be managed directly in parental controls. Does anyone know a solution? I know this can also be done in terminal, however that isn't an option as occasionally an administrator may need to authenticate access to system preferences without having to launch terminal. Any ideas?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Isn't there an option in the Security preference pane that requires an admin user account to unlock each preference pane?

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Isn't there an option in the Security preference pane that requires an admin user account to unlock each preference pane?

That only applies to preference panes with a lock. I don't want unauthorized users to be able to access any preference panes (including desktop/screensaver, mission control, etc.)

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
We use Profile Manager to do this on our lab computers, which is part of the Apple Server stuff.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We use Profile Manager to do this on our lab computers, which is part of the Apple Server stuff.

We do have a mac mini server in the labs, but we don't manage users with it. I don't know a whole lot about OS X Server, would we have greater control over users if they were managed over the network? Would that sacrifice performance at all? All the computers are for intense graphic and video work.

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
You don't have to manager users with it, you can apply settings for the machine instead, so you could lock the system preferences you wanted out, but it would effect everyone, including yourself, but the changes takes effect almost instantly so you can just allow the ones you need if you need to change something then lock it down again. Just enrol one machine into profile manager and have a play.

Should not effect performance at all, worst case an extra second or so logging in while the preferences are looked up and applied. I could not imagine managing lab macs without profile manager, would be a nightmare.

rfardonk

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2014
Parental Control and Network Change Location Problem

Here is my case…

I have Parental Control enabled for my daughter's MBP.
She uses her laptop Home and at School.
While at school she is required to select
a specific "Location" to access the internet (Proxy).

The problem is that to change locations she is
being requested to provide an Admin User and Passwords.

How can i allow her to change it?
Or perhaps to do some sort of configuration
that would allow her to use the proxy while at school.

Thanks,

rfardonk

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2014
Fixed It… Used ControlPlane …works like a charm!!!

My daughter is able to switch between "Locations" without having to go into System Preferences. No Admin/Password is required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.