Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I'm all for that size but tbh i'd wait for at least 2 generations before buying after what I saw with the iPad 3.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sounds awesome for artists/musicians/creatives. Or paired with an easily-removed Logitech-style keyboard cover (which, unlike Microsoft's Logitech imitations, have REAL keys that feel like a laptop).

A MacBook Air has certain big advantages over iOS. But iOS has its own advantages as well. I know people with iPads and keyboards that are much better served by that than by a Mac. (I'd call them "low end" users, except they're doing some really advanced creative stuff with that touchscreen!)

If this is real (in the market, not just the lab!) I don't see it being a top-selling blockbuster, and that's OK. The iPad Air size is the sweet spot for me and many, but I'm sure there's also a growing niche for bigger-screen touch computing to fill!

EDIT: And I do NOT think it would go for the same market the Surface aims for (albeit some overlap of course). That's a poor laptop coupled with a poor tablet, and doesn't know what it wants to be. It's for traditional desktop software--or why bother choosing one? Kind of neat in a way, but almost never the best choice. A true competitor to Surface would be a touch-based Mac (please no!) but I see little need for that in the near term. A larger iPad would be just that—with all the benefits of ease and app ecosystem that the iPad already has over Surface. What do people do with an iPad now? Do it bigger!

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
More than 1cm longer diagonal than the Samsung 12.2 but with 4:3 aspect ratio makes it a contender.

But it needs a built-in stylus and a microSDXC slot.

And multiwindow.

It will probably also need AMOLED by that time.

And of course, a GUI which doesn't suck.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Didn't Tim Cook promise us (and the investors) a lot of great innovative products in 2014? Seems that list is shrinking down :(

Shrinking based on what? Rumors about alleged products allegedly being delayed?

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
....but why?

Sounds awesome for artists/musicians/creatives. Or paired with an easily-removed Logitech-style keyboard cover (which, unlike Microsoft's Logitech imitations, have REAL keys that feel like a laptop).

A MacBook Air has huge advantages over iOS. But iOS has its own advantages. I know people with iPads and keyboards that are much better served by that than by a Mac. (I'd call them "low end" users, except they're doing some really advanced creative stuff with that touchscreen!)

If this is real (in the market, not just the lab!) I don't see it being a top-selling blockbuster, and that's OK. The Air is the sweet spot for me and many, but I'm sure there's also a growing niche for bigger-screen touch computing to fill!

^This is why.

I'd buy one tomorrow. I'm only one person and not an entire market, but I use my iPad all the time for different creative projects where I would benefit from a larger touch screen that could act more like a laptop at times.

I'm only one customer, but there must be 3-4 more like me out there....:cool:

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I wouldn't buy an iPad that size... A 15" retina MacBook Air on the other hand...

Pman17

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Galveston, TX
They should have this compete with the Surface and replace the Macbook Air. I'm so tempted to buy a Surface so I can run Steam and play with more legitimate games rather than the watered down mobile versions. I'd rather compete with friends on Steam rather than GameCenter which nobody uses or enables.

Oh, and it must have a USB port. I hate syncing to my Mac when I travel, and I don't have internet when I travel. I have that Seagate mobile hard drive router, but it sucks. Yea, I could get the Surface, but that defeats the purpose having all Mac hardware.

Last edited:

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I don't see who the target market is for this.

1. It isn't for kids - bigger = easier to break. Plus, for a kid, the "regular" size iPad is already large.
2. It isn't for millennials - nobody wants to lug something around that big that doesn't even function like a full computer.
3. It isn't for business because it still doesn't do half of what the Surface 3 would for businesses.

Who is it for!? Techies and Apple enthusiasts that just want another Apple product around the house?

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011

1. It isn't for kids - bigger = easier to break.
2. It isn't for millennials - nobody wants to lug something around that big that doesn't even function like a full computer.
3. It isn't for business because it still doesn't do half of what the Surface 3 would for businesses.

Who is it for!? Techies and Apple enthusiasts that just want another Apple product around the house?

This would be a great device for those in government, business, or for education.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
iPad pro: this is going to be one of the fruits of the IBM/Apple thing. The only way to replace a CSR's PC is to make the screen bigger - preferably mountable on a swing arm.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Didn't Tim Cook promise us (and the investors) a lot of great innovative products in 2014? Seems that list is shrinking down :(

He said something along the lines of 'entries reasonable people would consider new product categories'

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
There is no 12" iPad.

Alright, it was cute at first but now
Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
I'd be pretty stoked with a 5.5" phone and a 12" ipad. That lineup would work well for my personal use cases. At the price they're likely to charge for a 12" ipad, I might have to consider a surface. I really want it for taking notes, drawing, web browsing, light gaming etc.

DoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
More than 1cm longer diagonal than the Samsung 12.2 but with 4:3 aspect ratio makes it a contender.

But it needs a built-in stylus and a microSDXC slot.

And multiwindow.

It will probably also need AMOLED by that time.

And of course, a GUI which doesn't suck.

Sounds like you want a Samsung device, no stylus or SD card slots in Apple phones or tablets.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

1. It isn't for kids - bigger = easier to break. Plus, for a kid, the "regular" size iPad is already large.

Basically anyone who needs a large touch screen but not a physical keyboard -- graphics, CAD-CAM, etc. Yes, it would be niche, but that's who it would be best applied to if released. The screen would need to be more sensitive towards stylus, something that is very much a work-around w/ current iPads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.