Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:09 PM   #26
Rodster
macrumors 68030

I'm all for that size but tbh i'd wait for at least 2 generations before buying after what I saw with the iPad 3.
Rodster is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:11 PM   #27
nagromme
macrumors G4

Sounds awesome for artists/musicians/creatives. Or paired with an easily-removed Logitech-style keyboard cover (which, unlike Microsoft's Logitech imitations, have REAL keys that feel like a laptop).

A MacBook Air has certain big advantages over iOS. But iOS has its own advantages as well. I know people with iPads and keyboards that are much better served by that than by a Mac. (I'd call them "low end" users, except they're doing some really advanced creative stuff with that touchscreen!)

If this is real (in the market, not just the lab!) I don't see it being a top-selling blockbuster, and that's OK. The iPad Air size is the sweet spot for me and many, but I'm sure there's also a growing niche for bigger-screen touch computing to fill!

EDIT: And I do NOT think it would go for the same market the Surface aims for (albeit some overlap of course). That's a poor laptop coupled with a poor tablet, and doesn't know what it wants to be. It's for traditional desktop software--or why bother choosing one? Kind of neat in a way, but almost never the best choice. A true competitor to Surface would be a touch-based Mac (please no!) but I see little need for that in the near term. A larger iPad would be just that—with all the benefits of ease and app ecosystem that the iPad already has over Surface. What do people do with an iPad now? Do it bigger!

Last edited by nagromme; Aug 26, 2014 at 02:22 PM.
nagromme is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:11 PM   #28
KdParker
macrumors 68030

That's a big ole iPad.
KdParker is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:11 PM   #29
cube
macrumors G3

More than 1cm longer diagonal than the Samsung 12.2 but with 4:3 aspect ratio makes it a contender.

But it needs a built-in stylus and a microSDXC slot.

And multiwindow.

It will probably also need AMOLED by that time.

And of course, a GUI which doesn't suck.
cube is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:11 PM   #30
i5pro
macrumors member

highly unlikely...just awkward to hold and use
i5pro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:13 PM   #31
1080p
In Time-Out

There is no 12" iPad.
1080p is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:15 PM   #32
Serban
macrumors 68030

I would love 12" retina Macbook Air than this
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:16 PM   #33
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Didn't Tim Cook promise us (and the investors) a lot of great innovative products in 2014? Seems that list is shrinking down
Shrinking based on what? Rumors about alleged products allegedly being delayed?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:16 PM   #34
verniesgarden
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to verniesgarden
12" iPad...
Retina Macbook Air...
iPhone Mini...

filed with "PowerBook G5"
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:17 PM   #35
TXCherokee
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTNlCE View Post
....but why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Sounds awesome for artists/musicians/creatives. Or paired with an easily-removed Logitech-style keyboard cover (which, unlike Microsoft's Logitech imitations, have REAL keys that feel like a laptop).

A MacBook Air has huge advantages over iOS. But iOS has its own advantages. I know people with iPads and keyboards that are much better served by that than by a Mac. (I'd call them "low end" users, except they're doing some really advanced creative stuff with that touchscreen!)

If this is real (in the market, not just the lab!) I don't see it being a top-selling blockbuster, and that's OK. The Air is the sweet spot for me and many, but I'm sure there's also a growing niche for bigger-screen touch computing to fill!
^This is why.

I'd buy one tomorrow. I'm only one person and not an entire market, but I use my iPad all the time for different creative projects where I would benefit from a larger touch screen that could act more like a laptop at times.

I'm only one customer, but there must be 3-4 more like me out there....
TXCherokee is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:18 PM   #36
CarlosQG
macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't buy an iPad that size... A 15" retina MacBook Air on the other hand...
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:20 PM   #37
Pman17
macrumors member

They should have this compete with the Surface and replace the Macbook Air. I'm so tempted to buy a Surface so I can run Steam and play with more legitimate games rather than the watered down mobile versions. I'd rather compete with friends on Steam rather than GameCenter which nobody uses or enables.

Oh, and it must have a USB port. I hate syncing to my Mac when I travel, and I don't have internet when I travel. I have that Seagate mobile hard drive router, but it sucks. Yea, I could get the Surface, but that defeats the purpose having all Mac hardware.

Last edited by Pman17; Aug 26, 2014 at 02:29 PM.
Pman17 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:22 PM   #38
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

I don't see who the target market is for this.

1. It isn't for kids - bigger = easier to break. Plus, for a kid, the "regular" size iPad is already large.
2. It isn't for millennials - nobody wants to lug something around that big that doesn't even function like a full computer.
3. It isn't for business because it still doesn't do half of what the Surface 3 would for businesses.

Who is it for!? Techies and Apple enthusiasts that just want another Apple product around the house?
nStyle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:22 PM   #39
smulji
macrumors 6502

iPad Pro - The tablet that will replace your MacBook Air.
smulji is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:22 PM   #40
iMerik
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
Retina Macbook Air. Calling it.

(Watch me be wrong)
Retina Macbook Air with detachable Ipad Air display?
iMerik is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:23 PM   #41
smulji
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post

1. It isn't for kids - bigger = easier to break.
2. It isn't for millennials - nobody wants to lug something around that big that doesn't even function like a full computer.
3. It isn't for business because it still doesn't do half of what the Surface 3 would for businesses.

Who is it for!? Techies and Apple enthusiasts that just want another Apple product around the house?
This would be a great device for those in government, business, or for education.
smulji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:24 PM   #42
usarioclave
macrumors regular

iPad pro: this is going to be one of the fruits of the IBM/Apple thing. The only way to replace a CSR's PC is to make the screen bigger - preferably mountable on a swing arm.
usarioclave is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:25 PM   #43
akm3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Didn't Tim Cook promise us (and the investors) a lot of great innovative products in 2014? Seems that list is shrinking down
He said something along the lines of 'entries reasonable people would consider new product categories'
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:28 PM   #44
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
There is no 12" iPad.
Alright, it was cute at first but now
saving107 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:29 PM   #45
ronjon10
macrumors regular

I'd be pretty stoked with a 5.5" phone and a 12" ipad. That lineup would work well for my personal use cases. At the price they're likely to charge for a 12" ipad, I might have to consider a surface. I really want it for taking notes, drawing, web browsing, light gaming etc.
ronjon10 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:29 PM   #46
MrX8503
macrumors 6502

Maybe it's actually a retina MBA and not an iPad Pro.
MrX8503 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:30 PM   #47
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

without some sort of attachable keyboard (like the surface) a 12.9" iPad would be an extremely niche product. Well... to be honest, even with the keyboard it might still be very niche, but without one it would be borderline pointless.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:30 PM   #48
DoubleU
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
More than 1cm longer diagonal than the Samsung 12.2 but with 4:3 aspect ratio makes it a contender.

But it needs a built-in stylus and a microSDXC slot.

And multiwindow.

It will probably also need AMOLED by that time.

And of course, a GUI which doesn't suck.
Sounds like you want a Samsung device, no stylus or SD card slots in Apple phones or tablets.
DoubleU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:33 PM   #49
SirLance99
macrumors regular

Can't wait. I really want one of these to go along with my 5.5" iPhone. Perfect combo.
SirLance99 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:33 PM   #50
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post

1. It isn't for kids - bigger = easier to break. Plus, for a kid, the "regular" size iPad is already large.

Basically anyone who needs a large touch screen but not a physical keyboard -- graphics, CAD-CAM, etc. Yes, it would be niche, but that's who it would be best applied to if released. The screen would need to be more sensitive towards stylus, something that is very much a work-around w/ current iPads.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion