Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:54 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple CEO Tim Cook: Drop in iPad Sales Just a 'Speed Bump'

Just before news of Apple's upcoming 12.9-inch iPad Pro was reported by Bloomberg, Re/Code's Walt Mossberg shared a snippet of an interview with Apple CEO Tim Cook commenting on the recent state of the tablet market, which has been on the decline. According to Cook, the dip in iPad sales over the past two quarters is just a "speed bump" for Apple.
Quote:
In a brief interview about tablets I had this week with Apple CEO Tim Cook, he said, "We couldn't be happier with how we've done with the first four years of the iPad," and added that, "I'd call what's going on recently a speed bump, and I've seen that in every category."
The sentiment echoes comments that Cook made during the company's third quarter earnings call, where Apple announced iPad sales of just 13.3 million, down from 14.6 million in the year-ago quarter. The drop followed a Q2 sales dip that saw sales of 16.35 million iPads, down from 19.5 in Q2 2013.

During the call, Cook highlighted overall sales of more than 225 million iPads over the course of the last four years and suggested the tablet market itself was still "in its infancy." The CEO said that "significant innovation can be brought to the iPad," and pointed towards plans to bring improvements to Apple's tablet lineup.

Part of those plans may include the introduction of a larger 12.9-inch iPad Pro, which will launch in early 2015, according to Bloomberg. Rumors have suggested the larger tablet will include an ultra high-definition display and that it will be marketed towards Apple's enterprise customers.

12.9-inch iPad mockup (left) with fourth-generation iPad (right) and iPad mini (bottom)
While Apple has seen a serious drop in iPad sales over the past two quarters, the company continues to be the world's leading tablet vendor, holding 26.9 percent of the total tablet market. The company's iPad Air and iPad mini have hit 98% and 100% customer satisfaction rankings, respectively, and the iPad holds an 85 percent share of the U.S education market.

Apple is not the only company experiencing a drop in tablet sales, as noted by Mossberg. Microsoft and Samsung have also seen slumping sales, possibly due to the fact that people see less of a need to upgrade their tablets on a regular basis, as suggested by Samsung, or the tablet's position as a want rather than a need.

In addition to kickstarting iPad sales with the introduction of a larger iPad, Apple may see a jump in iPad sales during the last few months of the year, as the company is said to be introducing both a new iPad Air and a new Retina iPad mini with improved processors and a Touch ID fingerprint sensor. Touch ID proved to be a major draw for the iPhone, and its inclusion in the iPad may entice both new buyers and upgraders.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook: Drop in iPad Sales Just a 'Speed Bump'
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:59 PM   #2
Menopause
macrumors 6502

I love the iPad. However, against popular belief that suggests the next iPad (Air) will come with just A8, better graphics and TouchID, I would like to see something more. I don't want a revolution, an evolution will do just as fine, but not just a routine "twice as better" update.
Menopause is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:00 PM   #3
tacomahunter
macrumors regular

A BIGGER IPad? Are we not moving to smaller products, I thought the new iPhone was supposed to fill the niche of a bigger IPad.
11-25-12: MBA 1.8 Ghz 8mg Ram 256 SSD Speedster
tacomahunter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Traverse
macrumors 65816

Well, what bugs me about the iPad right now is that iOS simply isn't optimized for it. The music app is a stretched out phone app and the app switcher is just pathetic compared to what it could be.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:01 PM   #5
joshuaclinton
macrumors newbie

Definitely no need to continuously upgrade to the newest iPad. I am very happy with how well my 2nd Gen performs, with the minor annoyance of not having airdrop.
joshuaclinton is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:01 PM   #6
floatworld
macrumors newbie

Add about double the RAM of the current gen iPad Air/Mini and I'm all in for a new one this year. I had the current Air for a few months of constant crashing and poorer than expected performance. I should have known after they moved to 64bit architecture but then scrimped on the memory. smh
floatworld is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:02 PM   #7
Macist
macrumors 6502a

There are two killer apps I love on iPad. Beatmaker 2 and Procreate.

Other than that it's just another, admittedly very pleasant, way to view stuff on the internet.

iPads need a fresh revolution to make them a must-have now that the hype has died down a bit.
Macist is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:02 PM   #8
macduke
macrumors 68030

Gotta have those 13" tablets so that Samsung can have 8" phones so that the 5.5" iPhone 6 is considered too small to even use.
macduke is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:03 PM   #9
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
iOS needs real multitasking. Samsung and Microsoft have this and it really does improve tablet experience.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Apple has sold 225M iPads in just 4 years. It's a roughly $6B/quarter business. And yet some in the media are treating the iPad as if it's on life support. Ridiculous.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:03 PM   #11
sflomenb
macrumors 6502

I see no point in a bigger iPad.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:06 PM   #12
robjulo
macrumors 6502a

The problem isn't the hardware, it is the software. iOS cannot be all things to all people. Software that is dumbed down to save on battery and so that grandma doesn't get confused cannot serve enterprise users effectively at the same time.
robjulo is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:06 PM   #13
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

A MacBook sized iPad? I can't say I'm impressed with Tim Cook's vision so far.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:06 PM   #14
brownpaw
macrumors member

A pipe dream, but wouldn't it be great if a 13" iPad ran iOS and OS X?
brownpaw is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:08 PM   #15
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menopause View Post
I love the iPad. However, against popular belief that suggests the next iPad (Air) will come with just A8, better graphics and TouchID, I would like to see something more. I don't want a revolution, an evolution will do just as fine, but not just a routine "twice as better" update.
What would be an acceptable evolution to you? On the last earnings call Cook said Apple has exciting things planned for iPad. We've heard rumors about split screen multitasking. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple announces something like that this fall.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:08 PM   #16
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
iOS needs real multitasking. Samsung and Microsoft have this and it really does improve tablet experience.
If you mean unrestricted Windows-Style Multitasking then don't wait, as it's never going to happen. I don't want a CPU fan on my tablet.
The iPad multitasking should improve in iOS 8 and those apps that were written properly will take advantage of it.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:08 PM   #17
potatis
macrumors 6502

looks like a mac pro on the photo...guess the time for a cylindrical ipad is ripe
potatis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:09 PM   #18
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpaw View Post
A pipe dream, but wouldn't it be great if a 13" iPad ran iOS and OS X?
Not as it's current size. Also, one would need to be emulated.
I'm sure Apple one day may release what you want. In the meantime, there's a company that would convert your MBP or MBA into a Tablet.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:10 PM   #19
johncocktosen
macrumors newbie

just a convergence of phone-tablet-pc. good choices for consumer, education *and* business.

now if there was a way to force out of dumbed down mobile sites when i browse with my iPad i would have several more. I should NOT be penalized for browsing the web with my iPad. Tim you must know this, give me an option to browse in normal web mode.
johncocktosen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:10 PM   #20
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjulo View Post
The problem isn't the hardware, it is the software. iOS cannot be all things to all people. Software that is dumbed down to save on battery and so that grandma doesn't get confused cannot serve enterprise users effectively at the same time.
Obviously IBM doesn't agree. Didn't Apple announce a bunch of enterprise improvements at WWDC?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:11 PM   #21
robjulo
macrumors 6502a

That didn't take long. You ever get tired of carrying the flag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Obviously IBM doesn't agree. Didn't Apple announce a bunch of enterprise improvements at WWDC?
robjulo is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:12 PM   #22
Zellio
macrumors 6502a

Multiple quarters of lower sales for Apple=nothing to worry about here

1 quarter of lower sales for Samsung=LOLZ! Samedung is gonna die soon!!!

There ya go, I saved everyone here an argument by making it before you did.
Zellio is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:12 PM   #23
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Will buy one for every creative professional in this organization.

...Apple can keep trying to dance around it, but a tablet really needs a wacom digitizer if it's going to be the creative tool that replace the traditional stand-in of pencils and scraps of paper floating all over the place.

A hundred years from now on into the future, you'll be able to accurately draw, sketch, and write on your tablet. Apple should buy Wacom and honor the licenses now while they can. They should have done it a decade ago.
ThunderSkunk is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:13 PM   #24
jlabute
macrumors member

Just like what Captain Obvious would have said

iPad sales are down because we're not selling as many.
jlabute is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:13 PM   #25
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomahunter View Post
A BIGGER IPad? Are we not moving to smaller products, I thought the new iPhone was supposed to fill the niche of a bigger IPad.
How would a 5.5" phone fill the needs of a 12.9" tablet?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion