Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fb6668

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Hi,

A month ago, I started noticing an intermittent ticking noise on my old non-unibody MacBook Pro. Assuming it was the hard drive about to fail, I went ahead and replaced that with a brand new one, but I'm still getting the ticking noise. It doesn't do it all the time, but several times a day it will start, ticking pretty much once a second for any duration from a couple of minutes to well over an hour.

Any ideas what else it may be?

Thanks

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
if it`s not the HD then it must be a fan, because thats the only other moving parts.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Oh yeah that too but the optical drive usually does not do anything when there is no disk in it.

Fans don't usually make a ticking noise either. Anything ticking needs a moving part, quite possible for the optical to be (re)seeking the home position due to dirt. And of course the OP may have a disk in it....

Changed your RAM yet?

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Fans don't usually make a ticking noise either. Anything ticking needs a moving part, quite possible for the optical to be (re)seeking the home position due to dirt. And of course the OP may have a disk in it....

Changed your RAM yet?

Oh yeah I solved the problem it was defective ram, the previous owner put defective ram in it and then sold it :p

fb6668

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
It's not the optical drive (although that's FUBAR too). I'll try replacing the RAM in the morning and seeing if that one works. All my old workhorse MBPs are falling apart around me at the moment. But, still, at least that means I have spare parts!

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
It's not the optical drive (although that's FUBAR too). I'll try replacing the RAM in the morning and seeing if that one works. All my old workhorse MBPs are falling apart around me at the moment. But, still, at least that means I have spare parts!

He was talking about RAM, and I seriously doubt RAM would make ticking sounds. I believe it is the fan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.