Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toucanne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2014
Southern Nevada
I'm new here, so please be kind. :)

I have a Nikon CP 8800. On my old iMac (2006) running Snow Leopard and iPhoto '09, imports went flawlessly. I recently bought a 2011 iMac running Mavericks. Same camera, same version of iPhoto, same USB cable. I connect, iPhoto opens to the import screen, the beach ball goes around for a few seconds, and the camera crashes. I get the dreaded "you didn't eject this device properly" message. I can only shut off the camera if I disconnect it from the cable.

I know it's an old version of iPhoto, but everything else on it works. Also, I tried Image Capture, Lightroom (the latest) and just the Finder, same thing. The camera pops up, I see the images ready to import, then click, lights out.

Any ideas as to whether it's the camera or Mavericks? I reset the camera, but same results.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Last edited:

MCH-1138

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2013
California
So the question is....does Mavericks support a Nikon Coolpix 8800 that came out in 2005?

Unless I read the list incorrectly....nope. If the underlying raw support is missing, the raw file can't be used by iPhoto or Aperture.

Actually, I think it is supported (assuming it is the E8800). In any event, the OP should be able to import JPEGs, even if RAW support is lacking, so it sounds like there may be another issue.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Agreed. If the camera is an E8800 then it is on the Apple support list. Raw files should be usable by iPhoto.

OP try some test shots in raw and jpg and check if iPhoto can both formats, one format, or neither. First use the camera to reformat the card. After the test shots, move the SD card to the Macbook SD reader. If the E8800 uses CF cards, use an external card reader connected to a USB port.

toucanne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2014
Southern Nevada
Thank you both. It's not iPhoto. As I mentioned in my original post, iPhoto imports just fine under Snow Leopard. And I had checked that the camera was supported by it and Lightroom. It must be something in Mavericks. Once I get the photos off the camera on my old Mac, they behave fine on the new.

So if I get a card reader, everything should be fine, right? I usually shoot in jpg, but occasionally in RAW. Are any card readers better than others? I've never had one.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
The best external card reader I ever used is the Lexar dual slot that can do SD or CF cards. And it can do UDMA7 for faster read/write to cards that do UDMA7. It takes up minimum space on the desk or in a camera bag.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...L-18pXRscACFa_m7Aod2HEABg&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I always pull cards from cameras. When the card has been downloaded, put the card back into the camera and format it. Always format it with the camera; don't erase the card with the camera and don't format or erase with a computer.

Last edited:

toucanne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2014
Southern Nevada
Thanks for the recommendation. Someone once let me borrow a card reader that had been used on a PC and it totally screwed up my memory card. I have steered clear of them ever since!

The E8800 takes a CF card. I had no idea system software could affect which cameras are connected, but apparently that's the way it is. A new camera isn't in the budget, so a card reader it's going to be, as I need to sell that older iMac.

I do erase the downloaded photos with the camera and reformat every 6 months or so. I learned the hard way that when iPhoto asks if you want to erase the photos, you need to say no. So you think it's better to not erase and reformat every time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.