Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Hey all!

As you know, a user’s rank on these wonderful MacRumors forums is dictated by their number of posts. The nomenclature, from the official MacRumors help article on forum names, "come from the increasingly powerful microprocessors used in Apple computers over the years. The 6502 and 658xx are from the Apple II family, 680x0 were used in early Macintosh systems, 601 and beyond are PowerPC chips." By 2013, the moderator and admin community on MR decided to renovate the list and change which numbers associated with a certain rank.

Their updated list, however, omits secret titles above the threshold of G5, or 12,000 posts.

So, here’s the most current and complete MR forum rank list, along with some examples. I based my list off of Doctor Q’s excellent statistical threads on MR’s top forum posters.

Newbie => 0 - 29 posts​
Member => 30 posts​
Regular => 100 posts​
6502 => 250 posts (now the MacRumors Marketplace appears under Community)​
6502a => 500 posts​
65816 => 1,000 posts​
65832 => 1,500 posts​
68000 => 1,505 posts​
68010 => 2,000 posts​
68020 => 2,005 posts​
68030 => 2,500 posts​
68040 => 3,000 posts​
601 => 4,000 posts​
603 => 5,000 posts​
604 => 6,500 posts​
G3 => 8,000 posts​
G4 => 10,000 posts​
G5 => 12,000 posts​
Pentium => 15,000 posts​
P6 => 15,100 posts (thanks Intell!)​
Core => 19,020 posts (thanks jav6454)​
Penryn => 24,000 posts (thanks SandboxGeneral!)​
Nehalem => 30,000 posts (thanks SandboxGeneral!)​
Westmere => 37,000 posts. (Thanks GGJstudios! (nbd, the top user casually chiming in))​
–––––––– (Titles beyond this line have not been confirmed, but are predictions following the nomenclature of Apple processors.) ––––––––
Sandy Bridge => 45,000 ?​
• Ivy Bridge => 54,000??
• Haswell => 64,000??

Special Ranks:
  • Cancelled => User specifically requested to have their MacRumors name closed and have left the forums.
  • Moderator => self-explanatory
  • Moderator Emeritus => A former moderator, derived from emiritere, meaning "complete ones service"
  • Suspended => User was naughty and had to be temporarily or permanently removed from posting privileges.
  • Contributor => User donated to MacRumors.

Example users of January 15, 2015:
GGJstudios – Westmere [42,424 posts]* – is #1 user!​
GoCubsGo (formerly jessica.) – Nehalem [35,544]*​
Abstract – Penryn [24,215]​
Alphaod – Core [20,306]​
MacNut – P6 [18,388]​
KnightWRX – Pentium [15,043]​

It is curious to note that since Doctor Q’s hierarchy list in Jan 2013, many of the above users have reached a higher title. Based on some simple regression between Westmere’s 37k, Nehalem’s 30k, I estimate the general trend to be +6000, +7000, +8000, etc. Thus, the next title, Sandy Bridge, should be at 45k. And, based on Doctor Q’s top users list as of July 2014, and some poor calculations on my part:

IGGJstudios will reach Sandy Bridge first, with under 4000 posts left! And, if he continues his rate of posting, he'll reach it within the next 12 months! Get to postin, GGJstudios!

Also, since I am not an Admin, I do not have permission to access the members list, which I imagine came in handy in Doctor Q’s posts, unless he was an absolute bamf and calculated all his numbers without using his admin privilege. So, any Admins out there, I'd welcome your help!

I plan this post to be a work-in-progress that I or others may update, and if any of you spot a change, feel free to add it in. As such, this is a wiki-post. I look forward to any and all feedback from you eagle-eyed forum members, or otherwise!

Last edited:

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Pentium is 15,000 to 15,100, then it changes to a P6. I was that for a short week. Would you look at that, 16,000th post.

Cheers, thanks. And also :O ! Now never post again so I can get some nice round numbers on my list haha

Good work. You're close on some of the numbers, but not fully accurate. And I won't say which ones either. ;) :)

I'll get there, just you wait... :D

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Anyone else thinks this is a strange rank naming system?

Quirky, yes. From the official MacRumors help article on forum names: "The numbers come from the increasingly powerful microprocessors used in Apple computers over the years. The 6502 and 658xx are from the Apple II family, 680x0 were used in early Macintosh systems, 601 and beyond are PowerPC chips."

And, since I hadn't heard of Westmere, from Wikipedia: "Westmere, a microarchitecture by Intel that was formerly known as Nehalem-C and is a 32 nm die shrink of the Nehalem microarchitecture" After it should be Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, then Broadwell, the latter of which isn't even used by Apple yet

Where's the fun in not posting anymore?

nooooooooooooooooooo

____
EDIT: in case posterity doesn't treat him nicely, Sven11 asked the question before I updated the original post to carry the nomenclature's background.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I for one like the newer Intell based forum ranks. I still have the pre-Intell rank list somewhere. I think I'd be a G4 on that list, maybe still a G3. I never was a G3.

nooooooooooooooooooo

Kool-Aid.jpg

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
"The numbers come from the increasingly powerful microprocessors used in Apple computers over the years. The 6502 and 658xx are from the Apple II family, 680x0 were used in early Macintosh systems, 601 and beyond are PowerPC chips."

Wow. Fascinating. Never thought about it. :eek: Well I think a simple newbie, standard, senior, ... system would be easier on the eyes.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Some posters achieved titles before their current post levels. For example, Westmere appeared long before reaching 40,000 posts.

Reactions: splifingate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Some posters achieved titles before their current post levels. For example, Westmere appeared long before reaching 40,000 posts.

Talking about yourself in the plural and third person? :p

Well, hmmm. I'll have to wait and see when GoCubsGo nears your mark...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Talking about yourself in the plural and third person? :p

Well, hmmm. I'll have to wait and see when GoCubsGo nears your mark...
No, not referring to myself in the third person or plural. I'm not referring to myself at all, but rather to user titles and the post levels required to achieve them. I was simply pointing out that the thresholds titles may not be accurate. If I recall correctly, Westmere appeared after only 37,000 posts, not 40,000. Other posters achieved their current titles at post levels far below the numbers in the list.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
No, not referring to myself in the third person or plural. I'm not referring to myself at all, but rather to user titles and the post levels required to achieve them. I was simply pointing out that the thresholds titles may not be accurate. If I recall correctly, Westmere appeared after only 37,000 posts, not 40,000. Other posters achieved their current titles at post levels far below the numbers in the list.

Didn't mean to offend; I misinterpreted your post as playfully speaking about many Westmeres and had a laugh. And, thank you kindly for the feedback! It makes GoCubsGo's post count all the more interesting to follow...

Reactions: -BigMac-

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Didn't mean to offend; I misinterpreted your post as playfully speaking about many Westmeres and had a laugh. And, thank you kindly for the feedback! It makes GoCubsGo's post count all the more interesting to follow...
You didn't offend at all. I wouldn't expect her title to change until she hits 37,000 posts. There was no title between Nehalem and Westmere.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Wow. Fascinating. Never thought about it. :eek: Well I think a simple newbie, standard, senior, ... system would be easier on the eyes.

sorry nope, if you can't enjoy the inside joke of the user ranks then you don't deserve to be in a mac forum :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

TS, Thanks for reminding me that I only have 96 more to go before I become 603 :)

Question for the mods, have you guys/gals considered adding the iOS ARM processors into the mix?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Two things for the OP:

You mention in the first post that this is a wiki post, but there is no edit button.

The post level for Westmere isn't unknown; it's 37,000 posts.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I made it a Wiki for him.

Also, you are correct, Westmere is, in fact, 37,000 posts.
Thank you! Also, I was searching for an older thread where user titles were being discussed and several people were posting guesses about post levels and titles. I can't find it now, but one poster had compiled a list and Doctor Q said they were close, but off on a couple. I can't find that thread now, but thought it would be helpful to link it here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.