Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vjicecool

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Hey folks
Have a question regarding the iphone 5S camera pictures
When i take a pic with the cam, it saves in the photo's. When i open the pici just took for some reason the PIC is only 80% of the iphone screen, is there any reason this happens?
any insight would be appreciated
thanks

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
the iPhone 5/5s screen is 16:9 ratio, all cameras take pictures in a 4:3 ratio

So taking a 4:3 picture on a 16:9 screen you will see some letterbox

265176_f520.jpg

troubleonline

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
all cameras take pictures in a 4:3 ratio

Not entirely true - my Olympus Pen takes 16:9 photos!

But this has got me thinking I would like to see option to take 16:9 photos on iPhone so I looked on the app store and there is an app called Full Screen Camera for 69p. Doesn't look like the app has much other functionality though....

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Not entirely true - my Olympus Pen takes 16:9 photos!

But this has got me thinking I would like to see option to take 16:9 photos on iPhone so I looked on the app store and there is an app called Full Screen Camera for 69p. Doesn't look like the app has much other functionality though....

That app will just crop the image.

Something you can do without an app.

----------

Unlikely since it's the most common aspect ratio for TV's and and is also the international standard format of HD television/movies.

I think the 16:9 ratio is perfect!

For videos this makes sense.

But the most common place to view photo's isn't a TV.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
Snapchat takes 16:9 pictures, and I use snapchat more than my iphone camera now.

Besides the original posters lack of knowledge, I have wondered why 16:9 pictures have not increased in popularity because I really think its a decent compromise between 4:3 and the really wide movie letter box format.

Also let us not forget probably 98% (that is a guess) of screens mobiles to monitor/laptops to tvs are 16:9, so the pictures really do look immersive on these screens.

But experts on photography will argue 4:3 is better for pictures because it draws attention to subject in question, and all kinds of spacing and visual reasons.

Interestingly most movies are that really wide letter box format, but imax is 16:9, and if you watch the dark knight movies, there are a lot of scenes shot with imax, and it looks incredible. So I do wish 16:9 was incorporated more.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Besides the original posters lack of knowledge, I have wondered why 16:9 pictures have not increased in popularity because I really think its a decent compromise between 4:3 and the really wide movie letter box format.

Also let us not forget probably 98% (that is a guess) of screens mobiles to monitor/laptops to tvs are 16:9, so the pictures really do look immersive on these screens.

16:9 taken on my iPhone 5 (while recording video)
3XXvIX5.jpg

4:3 taken on iPhone 5 at the same spot as picture above.
ReDXHTk.jpg

I don't take 16:9 pictures that often, but I feel like 4:3 would capture more details in the frame. While the iPhone 5/5s are currently 16:9, all iPad models are still 4:3 and so are the MacBook's (except 11" MBA).
More importably printed pictures and picture frames are all 4:3 ratio.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
16:9 taken on my iPhone 5 (while recording video)

4:3 taken on iPhone 5 at the same spot as picture above.

I don't take 16:9 pictures that often, but I feel like 4:3 would capture more details in the frame. While the iPhone 5/5s are currently 16:9, all iPad models are still 4:3 and so are the MacBook's (except 11" MBA).
More importably printed pictures and picture frames are all 4:3 ratio.

You know I personally think the 16:9 looks better, more detail in the 4:3 of course and also with 4:3 you can really let objects be in focus in the middle (something about a golden rule of thirds in photography).

16:9 pictures look great on phones and tvs because it just captures the entire picture. But it probably wont become standard any time soon.

People prefer to view 4:3 pictures on facebook and things like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.