Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnnyH1012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
New Jersey, USA
There is an odd crackling noise that comes out of my speakers (External Logitech Speakers) when I am accessing the internet on my Power Mac G5. This occurs only when data is being sent and received, and the noise increases in intensity based on the amount of data being transferred. I am using a Realtek wifi usb drive that is fairly close to the speaker port, and am wondering if shielding is the issue.

Any Ideas?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
There is an odd crackling noise that comes out of my speakers (External Logitech Speakers) when I am accessing the internet on my Power Mac G5. This occurs only when data is being sent and received, and the noise increases in intensity based on the amount of data being transferred. I am using a Realtek wifi usb drive that is fairly close to the speaker port, and am wondering if shielding is the issue.

Any Ideas?

What does the end of the cable look like that goes into the computer?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Try moving the speaker cable or the WiFi adapter to the front port. Does the noise still occur?

JohnnyH1012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
New Jersey, USA
The cable is a standard 90 degree angle speaker wire. Fairly thin, has a bit of isolation though. I'm at work, so I'll have to try moving the wifi chip later.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The audio cable may have good electrical isolation, but poor EM isolation. You could try adding a ferret bead to it or using a more robust cable.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The cable is a standard 90 degree angle speaker wire. Fairly thin, has a bit of isolation though. I'm at work, so I'll have to try moving the wifi chip later.

I always had problems if I used a cable where the back of the connector could touch the metal of the G5.

These would pose a static problem due to the metal on the base of the connector making a connection.
35mm.jpg

These tend to work fine in my experience:
730533_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

JohnnyH1012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
New Jersey, USA
I always had problems if I used a cable where the back of the connector could touch the metal of the G5.

These would pose a static problem due to the metal on the base of the connector making a connection. Image

These tend to work fine in my experience: Image

Hmm, that seems to be the source of the issue. I will have to try covering that somehow or buying another aux cable. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.