Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Red Troubadour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Los Angeles
I'm on a 2011 15" MBP with a non-functioning SuperDrive, which means my options for installing Windows are limited to USB devices. By editing Boot Camp Assistant's info.plist to accommodate my model of MBP, I've created a USB install device from a Windows 7 Ultimate .iso, and using the method outlined here I've used a trial version of VMWare Fusion to install Windows on a new partition in my HDD-- or rather, I've gone through the installation process up to the first required restart.

By the word of the tutorial I linked above, I powered down the virtual machine linked to my new Windows partition after the process reached the specified point, then restarted to the EFI in hopes of completing the installation with my Boot Camp Assistant-created USB device. This is where I've hit a wall-- the Windows partition boots, then stops at the infamous black screen with a blinking white cursor, and stays that way. This indefinite hanging occurs regardless of whether I enter the partition from the default EFI or from rEFIt.

I've been bashing my head against the problem of USB Boot Camp installation for days, and I feel like it's 90% of the way there. Can I get some help clearing this last hurdle, please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.