Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GiuliaIvan86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Can someone please help me? I’m stuck on the activation screen in my iphone and it keeps asking me to enter the Apple ID of the previous owner… I bought this iphone second handed but the previous owner forgot to disable Find My iPhone and he doesn’t know the Apple ID either, he gave me this website to let it unlock http://www.fastestiphoneunlock.com/ is this even legit? (worry) Someone ever tried this website?

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
Another great example of Activation Lock working yet again.

Just admit it, you stole the phone. It is useless without the previous owners Apple ID and Password. You might as well go throw it at a wall. lol

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Congrats you're the millionth newbie to ask this very same question :D

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Can someone please help me? I’m stuck on the activation screen in my iphone and it keeps asking me to enter the Apple ID of the previous owner… I bought this iphone second handed but the previous owner forgot to disable Find My iPhone and he doesn’t know the Apple ID either, he gave me this website to let it unlock http://www.fastestiphoneunlock.com/ is this even legit? (worry) Someone ever tried this website?

There's nothing you can do. How does the previous owner not know his own Apple ID?

You HAVE to have the Apple ID and PW of the original owner, or there is NO WAY to get in.

Sorry, you have an expensive paperweight.

GiuliaIvan86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
First of all, I didn't stole it, just bought it on Craiglist. Just found a website different from the first one , its called http://www.freeiphoneunlocks.com/ , and now my question is : Does any1 tried this website? Does it work? Or what can I do to make my iphone work again?
I'm thinking to buy a new mother board. I wait more suggestions if you're kind enough to help me with this problem.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Paying for an IMEI unlock will not get the phone activated. Get hold of the seller and get the info to go past the activation page. If you don't, you have a paperweight.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
First of all, I didn't stole it, just bought it on Craiglist. Just found a website different from the first one , its called http://www.freeiphoneunlocks.com/ , and now my question is : Does any1 tried this website? Does it work? Or what can I do to make my iphone work again?
I'm thinking to buy a new mother board. I wait more suggestions if you're kind enough to help me with this problem.

Unless the seller gives you the password, which they can't because it was probably stolen, your iPhone will forever be an expensive paperweight.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
Everyone above me is right. However you got that device, it is a paper weight. You can sell it for parts - that's it. You will never get into it.

For the future what you should have done is this (Assuming your story is true): When you bought the device from person X on Craig's List, you should have had him turn the device on, and show you the phone works and that everything is good. You should have had him show you that there was no iCloud account already logged in.

If you want to be a model citizen, what you SHOULD DO is look at the email address in the phone from iCloud, and email that person telling them you found their iPhone. Likely you bought a stolen phone or a lost phone.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA

I re-read the responses above yours again to confirm and sure enough, no one accused you of stealing this iPhone, so your reply is curious.

Someone did steal it- perhaps the guy who sold it to you (as he can't provide you with any useful information).

On a side note: Apple has caught on to users attempting to 'burnout' the iPhone and return it to Apple as even if the phone won't power on there are other methods of determining if the iPhone is clean or not.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I re-read the responses above yours again to confirm and sure enough, no one accused you of stealing this iPhone, so your reply is curious.

Someone did steal it- perhaps the guy who sold it to you (as he can't provide you with any useful information).

On a side note: Apple has caught on to users attempting to 'burnout' the iPhone and return it to Apple as even if the phone won't power on there are other methods of determining if the iPhone is clean or not.

Exactly.
If the iphone is locked up with icloud activation then they will not replace it. They can see in their system even if the device doesnt power on by the serial number if its locked or not.
They will ask you to log into icloud.com and remove that device from your account before they do anything. If you cannot do that for whatever reason they will just ask you to leave and take your device back.

GiuliaIvan86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Can you recommand me please a good website with cheap iphone parts? I want to order a new logic board and give life again to this iphone.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
Can you recommand me please a good website with cheap iphone parts? I want to order a new logic board and give life again to this iphone.

Now you are definitely making it sound like this is a stolen or somehow ill gotten phone.

Replacing the logic board doesn't get around iCloud lock. As said above. IT IS LOCKED. YOU ARE STUCK WITH IT LOCKED. YOU CANT GET AROUND IT. If it was as easy as changing the logic board, don't you think everyone would do it?

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
Now you are definitely making it sound like this is a stolen or somehow ill gotten phone.

Replacing the logic board doesn't get around iCloud lock. As said above. IT IS LOCKED. YOU ARE STUCK WITH IT LOCKED. YOU CANT GET AROUND IT. If it was as easy as changing the logic board, don't you think everyone would do it?

Replacing a logic board is similar to replacing a motherboard. It essentially makes it an entirely different phone. It would get around iCloud lock. No system is perfect but replacing the logic board is not exactly easy and can be quite expensive.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
Replacing a logic board is similar to replacing a motherboard. It essentially makes it an entirely different phone. It would get around iCloud lock. No system is perfect but replacing the logic board is not exactly easy and can be quite expensive.

I read somewhere that not even that works to get around the iCloud lock.

Edit to add:
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/154789/On+what+part+of+iPhone+5+is+stored+info+about+Apple+ID

"The icloud lock information is tied to the phone's IMEI and stored on apple's server. You have to replace the baseband and the baseband flash memory. But doing this is exteremely difficult and will likely break the cryptographic pairing between chips, causing activation issues."

The page also says that basically in getting around it via hardware, you have to buy a perfectly good working iPhone and unsolder things and break it to fix the already broken one.

Seems like this is a proposition where you are basically chasing your tail

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

Edit to add:
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/154789/On+what+part+of+iPhone+5+is+stored+info+about+Apple+ID

"The icloud lock information is tied to the phone's IMEI and stored on apple's server. You have to replace the baseband and the baseband flash memory. But doing this is exteremely difficult and will likely break the cryptographic pairing between chips, causing activation issues."

The page also says that basically in getting around it via hardware, you have to buy a perfectly good working iPhone and unsolder things and break it to fix the already broken one.

Syndicate is correct.
Replacing the logic board will get rid of the icloud lock.
Since the baseband and baseband memory is on the logic board that will be replaced.
But also very expensive and hard replacing if you're not 100% what you're doing. You will just ruin the phone and the board if you don't connect everything right and put it back together.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
Syndicate is correct.
Replacing the logic board will get rid of the icloud lock.
Since the baseband and baseband memory is on the logic board that will be replaced.
But also very expensive and hard replacing if you're not 100% what you're doing. You will just ruin the phone and the board if you don't connect everything right and put it back together.

I stand corrected then, I guess my source wasn't the most accurate.

Wouldn't the cost of replacement of a logic board cost almost as much as a new phone?

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
stuck in activation screen

Edit to add:

Fairly certain that information is stored on the logic board. New logic board = new IMEI. We have some experts here that I'm sure will correct me if I'm mistaken.

**Lol I was beat to the punch.**

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I stand corrected then, I guess my source wasn't the most accurate.

Wouldn't the cost of replacement of a logic board cost almost as much as a new phone?

Yes, depending on the model iphone and how much GB storage he wants and if he wants an unlocked iphone logic board it could be up there. If bought new it can be close to as getting another phone.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
Yes, depending on the model iphone and how much GB storage he wants and if he wants an unlocked iphone logic board it could be up there. If bought new it can be close to as getting another phone.

Gotcha. If bought used couldn't it be activation locked too then if it was a bad one like the one trying to be replaced?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Gotcha. If bought used couldn't it be activation locked too then if it was a bad one like the one trying to be replaced?

Yes, a used one could also be activation locked if the chips that are on it are locked.
Its a risk buying used for that and if some of the components are not working etc....
Real pain to even begin putting all those chips back on the board and assembling the whole thing together. Not for your average backyard tech without the right tools and knowledge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.