Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
A coworker gave me his old iPhone 4 which has a deactivated SIM in it.
Because the SIM was deactivated we needed to use WiFi to turn off his iCloud account but... the WiFi was turned off and the WiFi setting in Settings was greyed out.
I found an Apple help page that talked about the greyed out WiFi setting and it said that that was a known problem with iOS 7.1 and to upgrade to 7.1.2.
We did that and now the phone can't get past the activation stage.
I'm thinking that this is related to Activation Lock but shouldn't it give him an option to enter his Apple ID to release the lock?
After booting it goes to the white Hello screen where it asks to enter the language and the country and then it fades to the black Connect to iTunes screen.
When we connect to iTunes it gives an unable to activate error with the code (0xe000004).
Everything I've searched says that this is a Windows error but I'm using a Mac.

I've tried DFU mode and it doesn't help.
It just causes iTunes to install 7.1.2 over again and then the cycle repeats.

Anything else I can try?
This is not a stolen phone -- we just can't get to any screen that lets him enter his iTunes password.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If the wifi is broken then you can still activate it by using a sim that has data available.
If the phone is locked to a specific carrier you will need a sim with data access from that carrier.
You will need to know the iCloud email address and password to disable the activation lock.
If you don't know that particular Apple ID info then don't waste your time.
Without that the phone is useless.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
So I need to find an activated AT&T SIM and just use it long enough to activate the phone. Then I can swap back the deactivated SIM.
I'll give that a shot.
What's up with not being able to activate it via iTunes?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
So I need to find an activated AT&T SIM and just use it long enough to activate the phone. Then I can swap back the deactivated SIM.
I'll give that a shot.
What's up with not being able to activate it via iTunes?

Yes, it should only take a minute to use the sims data so you can enter and send the iCloud info to unlock it.
Not sure when you plug it to iTunes does it ask you to enter the Apple ID and password?
Either way the wifi seems to be dead on that phone so if you get passed the iCloud lock you will either have to fix the internal hardware issue or use it without being able to connect to wifi.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Not sure when you plug it to iTunes does it ask you to enter the Apple ID and password?
Either way the wifi seems to be dead on that phone so if you get passed the iCloud lock you will either have to fix the internal hardware issue or use it without being able to connect to wifi.

Nope, never asks for the Apple ID or the password.
I've tried on two different Windows computers, a Mac with Mavericks and one with Yosemite.
Just the error code 0x8000004.

And you really think the WiFi is broken?
It never was as far as he knew.
And there's quite a few threads about greyed out WiFi sliders being software related.
Well, fingers crossed.
Thanks

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Another option: get him to log into icloud.com and remove the device from find my iPhone, then restore the phone. It will no longer be activation locked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.