Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
Hi all,
Looking to encrypt one of my hard disks via Right click > Encrypt (nothing to do with FileVault).

I've just tested this with one of my USB3 500gb (spinning disk) drive which is a good 72000rpm Westen Digital but I'm finding the transfer rate after encryption to be a little atrocious! I tested with a collection of files totalling 1.5gb and copying off the drive to the internal SSD seems to take almost 20 mins... Not exactly what I had in mind!

I'm running 10.9.4 on a 2014 MacBook Pro, connecting via USB 3.0

Wheats everyone else's experience like?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I tested with a collection of files totalling 1.5gb and copying off the drive to the internal SSD seems to take almost 20 mins... Not exactly what I had in mind!

That could be the USB connection, or more likely you didn't let the encryption finish. I've got all of my internal and external drives encrypted. I can transfer an 8GB file from the external to my internal in less than 2 minutes, and that must include decrypting the file from the external and re-encrypting to the internal (they have different keys).

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
Take a look at Plausible Deniability in the Mac shareware Espionage.

Nice suggestion, wasn't familiar with this app... I'll give it a go. :cool:

----------

That could be the USB connection, or more likely you didn't let the encryption finish. I've got all of my internal and external drives encrypted. I can transfer an 8GB file from the external to my internal in less than 2 minutes, and that must include decrypting the file from the external and re-encrypting to the internal (they have different keys).

You may be right, its certainly playing havoc right now... I'll try the process from scratch and leave it a little longer to crypt up and see how it goes.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I think that right-clicking on the drive will give you the updated encryption status.

nexus4life

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
Take a look at Plausible Deniability in the Mac shareware Espionage.

Plausible Deniability has nearly nothing to do with FDE performance.

My experience with FV2 has been that there is definitely no noticeable speed decreases with ssds. Also, with using USB Ext. HDD's, ensure the encryption is complete before making any determinations as far as whether or not it is slower.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Plausible Deniability has nearly nothing to do with FDE performance.

My experience with FV2 has been that there is definitely no noticeable speed decreases with ssds. Also, with using USB Ext. HDD's, ensure the encryption is complete before making any determinations as far as whether or not it is slower.

You are mistaken. If you travel and have an encrypted drive you have by some laws to give the authorities the encryption password. With the shareware I linked the computer drive looks like it was almost new when they search your laptop.

Plus full encryption will slow down any drive because encrytion needs cycles to encrypt and keep encrypted. Just encrypting certain folders and hiding them will cause minimal cycles and look harmless to non Mac experts.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Plus full encryption will slow down any drive because encrytion needs cycles to encrypt and keep encrypted. Just encrypting certain folders and hiding them will cause minimal cycles and look harmless to non Mac experts.

FV2, particularly on newer Macs with the i (i5 etc.) series CPUs, have very very little slowdown from FV2 encryption. Good test here. I suspect without a benchmark utility most people could not tell the difference.

nexus4life

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
You are mistaken. If you travel and have an encrypted drive you have by some laws to give the authorities the encryption password. With the shareware I linked the computer drive looks like it was almost new when they search your laptop.

My friend, I have been addressing the #1 thing this topic has asked about: performance. While you are correct that in some places you are obligated to decrypt the drive or give them the decryption key, this has absolutely nothing to do with the one thing I've been focusing on, again, performance. Sorry for any confusion.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
My friend, I have been addressing the #1 thing this topic has asked about: performance. While you are correct that in some places you are obligated to decrypt the drive or give them the decryption key, this has absolutely nothing to do with the one thing I've been focusing on, again, performance. Sorry for any confusion.

Then what did my last sentence talk about. I am trying to convince the op that since full encryption can eat cycles doing the encryptions that using the Espionage app he can have the normal performance and ALSO have Plausible Deniability when traveling to non Mac users since that app will make his Mac look normal to whom would be searching his device. I say this since if an authority searches his Mac at any travel point.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I'm a bit wary of the full-disk encryption. I used it on my Time Machine drive for a few months and had some bad experiences. In one case the power went out and the drive came back online corrupted and unrecoverable; I reformatted and encrypted it from the start. Yet a few months later, the volume became corrupted again and couldn't be recovered; I don't recall it occurring due to a power outage that time, it was just random. I don't recall the error message, but there seemed to be some issue over the encryption - it kept asking for my password to mount the drive, but wouldn't accept it even though I knew what it was. By comparison, I've been able to fix the rare file system corruption issues that arise on my other drives without any problems.

Granted, Time Machine tends to make things complicated... but I didn't like the way that all worked out. Maybe if I ever buy an uninterruptible power supply and have my hard drives wired to it then I'll try again.

I didn't notice any issues performance-wise, for what it's worth...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.