Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
I can only comment on the graphics department (not gaming) on the overall UI "fluidity"... Comparing a 2010 15" MBP running on nVidia GT 330m and a mid-2012 MacBook Air with Intel HD4000...

The MacBook Pro with dedicated graphics failed miserably... :eek: Choppy animations far worse than it has on Mavericks... Looks like old Apple hardware no longer have Apple's love of new OS anymore... :(

Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion still run decently...

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I can only comment on the graphics department (not gaming) on the overall UI "fluidity"... Comparing a 2010 15" MBP running on nVidia GT 330m and a mid-2012 MacBook Air with Intel HD4000...

The MacBook Pro with dedicated graphics failed miserably... :eek: Choppy animations far worse than it has on Mavericks... Looks like old Apple hardware no longer have Apple's love of new OS anymore... :(

Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion still run decently...

Apple beta releases often have poor support for older machines, especially early in the release sequence (e.g. now). As final release gets closer, this should improve. If it doesn't, file bug reports.

Speaking as a developer, it's simpler to support current shipping machines first, then work one's way backwards through the list of non-shipping machines. Near-future machines are also pretty high on the priority list, i.e. machines under development that have not yet shipped.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Apple beta releases often have poor support for older machines, especially early in the release sequence (e.g. now). As final release gets closer, this should improve. If it doesn't, file bug reports.

Speaking as a developer, it's simpler to support current shipping machines first, then work one's way backwards through the list of non-shipping machines. Near-future machines are also pretty high on the priority list, i.e. machines under development that have not yet shipped.

Already filed... The same I did for Mavericks when my original Intel HD graphics was lagging, up until now at 10.9.4 beta, still the same crap. The main culprit was the 3D Dock followed by the Window Animation... Had to run cDock to be able to run Mavericks perfectly, and disabled the latter.

As for Yosemite, I really don't know where to start tracing the culprits... :eek:

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
What is the performance differences between 10.9 and 10.10?

A bit pointless considering Yosemite is only at Developer Preview 1 and Mavericks is on 10.9.3. You can't really compare the two.

For what it's worth though, Yosemite runs quite well on my Early-2011 MBP, apart from a few graphical glitches.

Mavericks ran fine during the DPs also, and has been buttery smooth since final release.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I don't think you can compare performance between a first developer preview release and an OS that has been out and tuned for some time. Apples and oranges at this stage of the game.

moving2

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2014
Please, people.

Mr. Retrofire and others: of course he can compare the two, and it is a perfectly valid question to ask. As to whether it is a fair comparison of the Yosemite GM vs. Mavericks, of course not and I'm sure the OP knows this. That doesn't change the fact that, to a user potentially looking to install the Yosemite public beta, the performance of said beta vs. baseline (Mavericks) may be an important consideration.

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
A bit pointless considering Yosemite is only at Developer Preview 1 and Mavericks is on 10.9.3. You can't really compare the two.

For what it's worth though, Yosemite runs quite well on my Early-2011 MBP, apart from a few graphical glitches.

Mavericks ran fine during the DPs also, and has been buttery smooth since final release.

The graphical glitches i faced on my 15" Macbook Pro early 2011(OS X Yosemite Public Beta) is really bad.
I have automatic login switched off and most of the time I switched it on, it will freeze in login screen with bad graphic distortion and a spinning beachball cursor. If i'm lucky, i can click on the shutdown button, if not i have to do a force shutdown.

Safe boot works ok though it took a very long time to boot

I had to switch off automatic login and only then it will boot normally.

Note: SMC + NVRAM reset does not fix the issue. Issue occurs with a clean installation of OS X Yosemite.

installed gfxCardStatus and everytime I tried to switch graphics, the screen will distort for 1 second.

it may be just hardware issue however I do not faced it while running on OS X Mavericks

I had my logic board replaced 2 months back because of the major graphic issue of Macbook Pro Early 2011.

With that, I foresee similar complaints from other Macbook Pro Early 2011 owners running OS X Yosemite

unixwrocks

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
We'll tell you in the final release. Like all Beta operating systems, Apple leaves a lot of debugging and logging to disk on virtually every action. It's in Beta and has only been released to Beta Testers outside Apple.

I've noticed Yosemite Beta on my Mac Mini with an HDD is slow as a dog. Even with 8GB of RAM and an i7. While on my Air with a mobile i5 its a lot more snappy. Hence, the debugging and logging really slows it down.

The graphics on Yosemite are a lot lighter and don't take as much processing power from a GPU. Also, CPU resources are about the same. I installed a fresh version of 10.10 on my Mac Mini (as opposed to installing over 10.09). It runs about 15% faster with 10.10 installed from scratch.

EDIT: right now a lot of applications are not optimized for 10.10. For me, running virtual machines in VMware Vusion results in very poor graphics performance. I only have Macs with an integrated GPU, and have not noticed an decrease in native graphics performance. However, using a discrete GPU (like on an iMac, might be a different story), or certain GPU drivers might not be fully supported in 10.10 yet.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Yosemite is stil in beta, probably with debug enable. Anyway It runs 3d games faster than Mavericks, it depends on what graphic card but i've noticed quite an improvement, and if you read online most testers have seen a 10-20 fps increase in modern games (a lot) like Diablo 3.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Yosemite is stil in beta, probably with debug enable. Anyway It runs 3d games faster than Mavericks, it depends on what graphic card but i've noticed quite an improvement, and if you read online most testers have seen a 10-20 fps increase in modern games (a lot) like Diablo 3.

What card do you have? I have the 750m (w/ 1GB of GDDR5 VRAM).

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
750M will get a nice boost, check online forums. I've tried on both Iris and D500 and both are faster in benchmarks and games.

Great, I'm guessing this is just optimisation like Metal of iOS, but never got a mention because the increased performance was not as large.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

I see a HUGE improvement in Diablo 3 on my high-end 2012 iMac (GTX 680MX). The difference is just ridiculous. I just went from Mavericks to Yosemite DP6 and it's hilarious how much better the game runs.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I see a HUGE improvement in Diablo 3 on my high-end 2012 iMac (GTX 680MX). The difference is just ridiculous. I just went from Mavericks to Yosemite DP6 and it's hilarious how much better the game runs.

how much?

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Are here people who are playing Diablo 3 or League of Legends or Starcraft 2 to post here if there are any difference between Maveriks and Yosemite

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
how much?

Enough to be noticeable, but not enough to make me stop using Windows 7 Bootcamp to play..

Macs are simply not good enough for gaming unless you're not picky at all. When you compare running Windows, it's not even close..

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Enough to be noticeable, but not enough to make me stop using Windows 7 Bootcamp to play..

Macs are simply not good enough for gaming unless you're not picky at all. When you compare running Windows, it's not even close..

Unless the game was developed for OS X then ported to Windows. Seems to be the case with X-Plane, where OS X yields much better frame rates. I know that that is only one game (well, simulator but they share the same characteristics). The problem is when a developer that made the Windows game using DirectX ports to Mac, they really are not skilled enough for OpenGL. OpenGL in the right hands is great, but devs don't seem to take their time. I know why they don't, I'm just saying the reasoning behind it.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

There is absolutely no way to compare performance at the moment.

You can never compare performance on beta software because optimizations are usually not put in place and the OS will be slower in general with the debug code most likely still in it.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
There is absolutely no way to compare performance at the moment.

You can never compare performance on beta software because optimizations are usually not put in place and the OS will be slower in general with the debug code most likely still in it.

I never said it was fair ;)

If people were noticing increased performance in the beta of 10.10 over 10.9, then that really says that the final build will be a lot faster. That was all I was asking for.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I never said it was fair ;)

If people were noticing increased performance in the beta of 10.10 over 10.9, then that really says that the final build will be a lot faster. That was all I was asking for.

It actually doesn't say that though. There is no guarantee the final build will be faster.

All the safety checks may not be in, all the functionality may not be in, theres a lot of stuff that goes on under the hood that can easily change by release date.

infoseeker

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2013
Now that Yosemite is finally a public release, I guess now would be good time to ask, how is the performance for you guys? I'm looking to run Yosemite on a 8-core mid 2010 Mac Pro with 16gig ram, so if anyone is running it on one of these, please post how its performing? Thanks.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
Since upgrading my 15" Retina MacBook Pro to Yosemite, I've noticed that certain UI elements, like scrolling through lists in folders embedded in the dock and the 'genie' effect are quite choppy and slow. I use an app that allows me to select the discrete graphics card (Nvidia 650M) over the integrated card. When that is functioning, the choppiness disappears. It seems the Intel HD4000 is struggling with running Yosemite smoothly. This is disappointing given that the battery life savings using integrated graphics is so significant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.