Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Hey guys! Well, I know that an iPad wont do as much as a PC, but we really dont do much on it anyway. My mom just checks her facebook and email and eBay. I just go on facebook, watch videos and just surf the web.

----------

Yeah thats pretty much all the things we do :) The heaviest program I would run would be Garage band! Lol. Now thinking about it, theres nothing that I do that an iPad couldn't handle :)

Depending on what websites you browse, as even that might be an issue as iPad does not support things like Flash, Silverlight etc.

If you are heavy Internet browser user, I can tell you right now that iPad won't cut it as the 1GB of memory is very limiting and when you have few websites open the content does not stick (not enough memory) and will refresh when you jump between different tabs. This is a major pita, so if you are planning heavy internet use on iPad, I would say, iPad can't even handle that

On the other hand, if all you ever open are 2-3 known websites, you should be fine.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Depending on what websites you browse, as even that might be an issue as iPad does not support things like Flash, Silverlight etc.

If you are heavy Internet browser user, I can tell you right now that iPad won't cut it as the 1GB of memory is very limiting and when you have few websites open the content does not stick (not enough memory) and will refresh when you jump between different tabs. This is a major pita, so if you are planning heavy internet use on iPad, I would say, iPad can't even handle that

On the other hand, if all you ever open are 2-3 known websites, you should be fine.
It has nothing to do with memory. But carry on.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Care to elaborate ?
No. It's a lost cause.

I find it amazing you all KNOW your iPad runs out of memory just by having 2 tabs opened on Safari and nothing else running. Because tabs reload when you have just 2 and nothing else running.

So how do you guys know you're out of memory? Where do you see the available RAM when tabs start reloading.

Let me see. Post a picture.

Here. I'll give you an example of how RAM is managed.

I shouldn't even say this because none of you will listen but here we go.

This is my phone with these apps opened but no browser opened.

41151fb9e7bd7be1aeaa775543ebcfd9.jpg

Now look at my available RAM when I open Chrome and loaded 5 tabs

7a435b4fe2fd5cda14a4e4915a274449.jpg

The OS automatically starts dumping things out of memory to accommodate Chrome. Now I have even more RAM free.

When I close Chrome the OS puts the apps I had back in RAM.

Even with 500MB+ free my tabs reload too.

For the 1 millionth time, tabs reloading have nothing to do with RAM.

Last edited:

Daniel3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2014

Thats true that 1 gb isnt alot for browsing, but I'm sure the new iPad Air will have more than one gb of RAM :)

AbingdonBod

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2014
Oxfordshire, UK
Ah! That's presumably why when I'm mid-post on a forum, and I go off to google some info, the post text has gone sometimes when I come back to it. I've learnt to copy a post mid-stream if I leave it un-posted for a while.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Thats true that 1 gb isnt alot for browsing, but I'm sure the new iPad Air will have more than one gb of RAM :)

Ah! That's presumably why when I'm mid-post on a forum, and I go off to google some info, the post text has gone sometimes when I come back to it. I've learnt to copy a post mid-stream if I leave it un-posted for a while.
Haha

See? It doesn't matter how much I say it, these people are still convinced it's RAM.

I even posted easy to follow pictures.

Let me ask you again. How do you know the iPad is out of RAM?

Do you realize that's impossible? Unless IOS doesn't manage ram at all.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Haha

See? It doesn't matter how much I say it, these people are still convinced it's RAM.

I even posted easy to follow pictures.

Let me ask you again. How do you know the iPad is out of RAM?

Do you realize that's impossible? Unless IOS doesn't manage ram at all.

OK, I don't care if it's RAM or something else. What I would like is my iPad to be able to hold at least 15-20 tabs without losing their content.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Hey thats a good idea! But, if I get one, Im sure she will want one too! Lol! I guess Ill just have to see where I am around Christmas time :) Hopefully I can afford two iMacs (maybe I can get my mom a refurbished model because she really doesn't do much on it) by Christmas :) If not, Ill get two iPads, keep my crappy laptop just in case, get something that I can print via iOS, get my mom a keyboard case and then call it a day! Lol!
I think this is your best option. While the user above is someone that doesn't like using an iPad for the way they surf the web, I have an iMac and a MBP at home and about 90 percent of my time (especially surfing the web) is spent on the iPad. I am not someone that needs 20 tabs open, though.

It really comes down to your own uses. My mom only has an iPad and she would not want or need an iMac. She checks Facebook, email, cooking information, etc.. and it does all she needs and it actually has a lot more capabilities than she would ever use. Anything more would be complete overkill.

Is an iPad a computer replacement? Depends on the person. For me it isn't, for my mom, it is.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
OK, I don't care if it's RAM or something else. What I would like is my iPad to be able to hold at least 15-20 tabs without losing their content.

This is the important part. I agree that RAM isn't the main culprit, but rather iOS 7. However, I have to wonder if they would have made iOS 7 different if more RAM was on tap. Either way, it's a pretty annoying thing to deal with.

Further evidence that it isn't RAM is that the tab refresh (and apps too) is no better on an iPhone 5 than 4S, with another 500MB of RAM. So it really is the OS itself.

I'm surprised Apple isn't bothered to remedy this. It really interferes with web use, something that Apple intended this device to excel at.

stazi34

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2014
My mother replaced her laptop with an ipad and she uses airplay to watch stuff on the television too. Very handy for her.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.