Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Hi,

I finally decided to sell my iPhone 5 and jump to Windows Phone 8. I bought the Nokia Lumia 635 as it is the only recent one available in Canada...and it is cheap. I have it for two days now and so far, I am really impressed with both the phone and the OS. It is really snappy considering the phone specs. I was not sure about the screen resolution but finally, it is not so bad. Of course I would have loved a front camera for video calls and a flash (more for flashlight use than for camera flash) but for the price, this is a great bang for the buck. We never know, I might upgrade to the 730 or 830 or even the 930 if it ever comes to Canada.

Two things I was not able to match from the iPhone and asking for your help on this:

1. Find my friends. My wife likes to look where I am once in a while and she still has an iPhone.

2. Airplay music from the phone to Airplay speakers or Airport Express.

Also, do you guys know what is the average bandwith usage of Nokia Mix Radio? I can't find answer to that by googling.

If you guys have any other usefull tips, please feel free to share, I'll appreciate that.

Best regards!
Ben

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
1. Download 'Life360 Family Locator' - works with all OS's and there is even an app on Windows Phone for it!

Online website is http://www.life360.com

Should fit your needs.

2. Sorry, not a big music user outside of Pandora, Spotify and Google Music. I don't like Nokia/Microsoft's music service.

As for Windows Phone tips and apps, you can search my threads, or Jessica Lares, or MacRumorUser posts.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I use Nokia mix radio but dont subsctibe to the pemium service as i already have a spotify and google play all access sub.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I would just tell the wife number 1 is no longer an option so she can stop checking up on your whereabouts :D

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
1. Download 'Life360 Family Locator' - works with all OS's and there is even an app on Windows Phone for it!

Should fit your needs.

2. Sorry, not a big music user outside of Pandora, Spotify and Google Music. I don't like Nokia/Microsoft's music service.

As for Windows Phone tips and apps, you can search my threads, or Jessica Lares, or MacRumorUser posts.

That killed my battery on my Moto G. I had to remove it.

Edit-- the life360, not pandora etc...

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007

Should fit your needs.

Thanks very much everybody...your help is greatly appreciated.

Just installed Life 360 on both iPhone and Windows Phone and works great. Will see how it affects the battery.

----------

I would just tell the wife number 1 is no longer an option so she can stop checking up on your whereabouts :D

I know but it is a 2 players game :D jokes apart it is useful for us for some things

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Welcome!

I bought it as well a while back to test 8.1 and I loved it so much I upgraded to a 1520/635 combo for traveling.

The OS is very under rated and it is easily the most efficient operating system IMO over iOS and Android which I used extensively prior to this.

Love 8.1 and waiting to see if I should go 930 or wait to see what the ip6 offers.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Welcome!

I bought it as well a while back to test 8.1 and I loved it so much I upgraded to a 1520/635 combo for traveling.

The OS is very under rated and it is easily the most efficient operating system IMO over iOS and Android which I used extensively prior to this.

Love 8.1 and waiting to see if I should go 930 or wait to see what the ip6 offers.

I have it for 3 days now and I must agree, the OS is absolutely under rated. The software bundle is also stunning (Nokia Mix Radio free, MS Office, Bing Suite, Nokia photo and video apps, etc). For me, I am taking a long break of iphone and will skip iPhone 6 at least. The 930 looks very good unfortunately we do not have it in Canada and according to rumors, it won't be available anytime soon.

Last thing I have to figure out: transfer on the phone the books bought on Apple iBook store and find a reader. I haven't searched on that yet though...

----------

Welcome!

I have it for 3 days now and I must agree, the OS is absolutely under rated. The software bundle is also stunning (Nokia Mix Radio free, MS Office, Bing Suite, Nokia photo and video apps, etc). For me, I am taking a long break of iphone and will skip iPhone 6 at least.

Last thing I have to figure out: transfer on the phone the books bought on Apple iBook store and find a reader. I haven't searched on that yet though...

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
...I bought the Nokia Lumia 635 as it is the only recent one available in Canada...and it is cheap....

We get pretty shafted when it comes to Windows Phone in Canada. You can order the Nokia 930 online and it will work on Rogers/Bell I believe, but it's $675 and the warranty is questionable.

Even the new HTC One Windows Phone doesn't support the right bands to work outside of the US.

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
pandora definitely

Hi,

I finally decided to sell my iPhone 5 and jump to Windows Phone 8. I bought the Nokia Lumia 635 as it is the only recent one available in Canada...and it is cheap. I have it for two days now and so far, I am really impressed with both the phone and the OS. It is really snappy considering the phone specs. I was not sure about the screen resolution but finally, it is not so bad. Of course I would have loved a front camera for video calls and a flash (more for flashlight use than for camera flash) but for the price, this is a great bang for the buck. We never know, I might upgrade to the 730 or 830 or even the 930 if it ever comes to Canada.

Two things I was not able to match from the iPhone and asking for your help on this:

1. Find my friends. My wife likes to look where I am once in a while and she still has an iPhone.

2. Airplay music from the phone to Airplay speakers or Airport Express.

Also, do you guys know what is the average bandwith usage of Nokia Mix Radio? I can't find answer to that by googling.

If you guys have any other usefull tips, please feel free to share, I'll appreciate that.

Best regards!
Ben

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.