Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Apple has done this across the board. These is more money at the low end. For example far more people use iPads and computers for media viewing/entertainment than for doing real work.

So that is what Apple goes after.

So that is where Apple decides to support.

Maybe it is not exactly ALL about money.

Jcknows0

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2013
0 Infinite Loop
I live in Miami, my production house is switching from FC7 to Premiere. The TV station I used to work to is switching to Premiere and Avid.

Venevision International with 600 employees is switching to Avid, well, they already did and a mayor factor is like Avid opperators are real editors compared with Final Cut Editors that called themselves "editors" when the reality is that most do not have certification and learned to edit in their house. The Program Director is a friend and told me that, it was a hassle when recruiting bunch of wannabees.

Telemundo and Univision, Premiere and Avid last year.

I just know 1 person using FCPX and is a musician and I have seen one ad in Craigslist asking for FCPX for infomercials.

My recommendation to people is to learn that software as an option but the interns I have been having in my company are learning in Avid at their schools.

I am just giving you facts.

So let me see you are basing your facts on your own personal experience? While that is good for your own sphere of influence Apple and Avid operate in the realm of economic fact:
1) Apple has made more money off of FCPX then it ever did any other editing software. They count more buyers then FCP7 obviously helped by a lower price tag
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/67764

2) Avid has been struggling to keep afloat with loses year over year and as previous poster mentioned they were delisted which is huge.

3) Adobe is a mixed bag but they upset a lot of people by going to subscription model (including graphic designers in my company) http://fortune.com/2014/06/18/for-adobe-cloud-traction-leads-to-record-high-stock-price/
Their sales have been dropping quarter by quarter but now they make more profit by shifting to subscription model.

Now to get back to personal experience, I like most people who studied film, studied on Avid, but was not able to afford any of it after college (2004). When I finally had the money almost 7 years later for making it a hobby, I tried Avid since that was what I was familiar with but it by far the most restrictive and clunky user experience with a myriad more operability issues. I refused to pay Adobe a king's ransom for CS as I never liked Photoshop that much and had no familiarity with their NLE. A friend let me have his unused copy of Final Cut Express and I liked it but felt limited by single core threaded and lack of hardware acceleration for my model mac. With a suitable deal I was able to pick up FCPX and Motion for 50 less than 299 and I am glad I made the investment. For my purposes and the vast majority of users out there it puts the power to create in people's hands.

So instead of judging a software by hearsay and biased opinion, you should try it first (the current version not the 10.0.0)

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Reminded of a time when this thread would have at least seen double-digit replies by now.

Maybe if the headline read: FCP Update Optimized for iOS8...

Or if it read: "FCP X Scrapped and Replaced with FCP 8, Based on FCP 7, is Once Again Actually Good" :(

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Hey, just be glad they're fixing it

I am.

Who cares what anyone else uses? Use what works for you, and more power to you.

:apple:

Morris

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2006
London, Europe
I am surprised that so many people think serious editors would drop their working FCP7 workflow mid-production to switch to some .0 version. Most of the outrage was about home users, perhaps doing wedding videos, who might be foolish enough to upgrade on a whim.

I asked our in-house editors about it in the middle of all that noise that surrounded the FCP X launch. They said they had read about FCP X and might consider it at some point but that any upgrade was at least a year out and then only would they upgrade some booths when they were starting new project.

In other words, when most serious production houses would be ready to upgrade to FCP X a lot of the initial complaints had already been addressed in subsequent updates.

FinalCutJay

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2008
I am guessing you have not personally used Avid before.

I graduated film school. Learned Avid in school, made a business case to bring in Premiere, learned it.

Upon graduation, with my paying jobs I've chosen to use FCPX.

Facts. :)

Let me know when you find a real paying job that uses FCPX.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
In other words, when most serious production houses would be ready to upgrade to FCP X a lot of the initial complaints had already been addressed in subsequent updates.

And by now, they have.

:apple:

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Sales

So Apple sold a million seats of FCPx to amateur editors ....

Right!

And sure Avid and Premiers have collaboration features but for Premiere it cost thousands of dollars and needs dedicated hardware. Not for smaller productions house at all.

Get the facts.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
nice trolling

Welcome to the forums.

Actually not trolling. At all. As one who has been on here since 2002, there truly was a time when that post would have warranted a lot more feedback. The comment was a joke (you clearly missed) highlight how things change. I'm not a "get off my lawn" curmudgeon. Perfectly content with change and where Apple has been and going.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.