Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomyg

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2014
South-east England, UK
Hi, let me know how you get on with the ASD. Following my thread asking for assistance last week I've since secured an ASD for my G5 Quad late 2005 and will be calibrating the fans very soon. Happy to assist if needs be.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004

Dear OP

I owned at least five of these machines.

The bent door/movable fan issue needs to be addressed. The casing on G5's is not incidental to their workability.

I always bought brand new hard drives for all models of the G5s. For some reason, HD's (and as you saw even the IDE superdrives) cause weird problems on the G5PMs if they are failing.

Also did you update to 10.5.8? I read you did 10 5 6 but not the full update.

I'd get a new ide Panasonic superdrive, heck you might as well get a blueray IDE if you can find it (there was some PPC Blu Ray workaround back in the day) and new hard drives.

Last edited:

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Dear OP

I owned at least five of these machines.

The bent door/movable fan issue needs to be addressed. The casing on G5's is not incidental to their workability.

I always bought brand new hard drives for all models of the G5s. For some reason, HD's (and as you saw even the IDE superdrives) cause weird problems on the G5PMs if they are failing.

Also did you update to 10.5.8? I read you did 10 5 6 but not the full update.

I'd get a new ide Panasonic superdrive, heck you might as well get a blueray IDE if you can find it (there was some PPC Blu Ray workaround back in the day) and new hard drives.

I did install updates that are available and am running 10.5.8.

I've got quite a bunch of SATA hard drives sitting around so I was hoping not to have to buy a new drive. I think wiping zeros and installing the OS as I did should've simulated a new drive and fixed most of the issues (but, that didn't work).

I replaced the IDE optical drive, it had a PC Pioneer drive installed (improperly). I installed a SuperDrive out of a G4 QuickSilver. Despite it being slow, it does work and so I'm testing the machine to ensure all KPs are gone.

The system was acting weird waking from sleep, no video and all fans would blast at full speed. Found out it was the CalDigit FASTA-4E that was causing sleep problems so I removed it and removed the driver manually. Will try re installing it later.

There is also another flaw in the system. When removing the screws from a PCIe bracket, the screw can fall below into the back fan or even worse into the power supply area through a small clearance hole (~4x4cm rectangle) in the metal. I had to flip around the machine a few times and use a magnet to get the screws out.

Do not install Leopard.

Use 10.4 Tiger

Make sure to use the tiger background

Unfortunately, most software only runs on Leopard (incl. Apple utilities) so I can't go back to using Tiger.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Which most software? I wouldn't use it as a PC, but as a server, I really like it.

What kind of server? It makes a rather poor server OS for most things and should not be used at any time for a publically accessible web server when using the builtin Apache server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.