Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lightning33

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I plan to use a Spigen Tough Armor for my new iPad Mini. I have a Tech Armor on my phone, but it is kinda pricey for the ?Mini. So, looking at Amazon, I found these:

Tech Armor
PThink
archshield
Zerolemon

All are glass screen protectors, but I'm guessing not all are created equal. So, what are your thoughts on those?

Thanks.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I plan to use a Spigen Tough Armor for my new iPad Mini. I have a Tech Armor on my phone, but it is kinda pricey for the ?Mini. So, looking at Amazon, I found these:

Tech Armor
PThink
archshield
Zerolemon

All are glass screen protectors, but I'm guessing not all are created equal. So, what are your thoughts on those?

Thanks.
I bought the GLAZZ tempered glass screen protector for my retina iPad mini for $20 and it works perfectly. I've owned both an extremely expensive screen protector from Zagg and this less expensive GLAZZ one and to be honest there is no difference. Tempered glass is tempered glass.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8ZJPOK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Same goes for the iPhone, I've owned expensive $40 glass screen protectors and cheap ones ($7 from amazon) and there was zero difference.

IXDoubleDXI

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Central Florida
I had ordered a no name brand on Amazon. The title was Premium Real Tempered Glass Screen Protector or something, for like $10. It was horrible. Felt bad when typing/swiping. Got my money back on that and ordered the Tech-Armor one. No issues whatsoever installing or afterwards. It does seem like it's more fingerprint prone after about 4 months, but still looks great.

Off topic, but if you're in need of one for an iPhone 5/5s, look for the Photive brand one. I've had it for about 6 months, and it's held up excellent. I can't imagine there's much difference between that and a more expensive Spigen one. I've installed 1 on my wife's phone, my dad's phone, and 3 friends' phones and all have had no issues with them.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I am currently using a Zagg Glass on mine and I like those rounded edges. Feels nice to the touch. Zagg does have a lifetime warranty.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I put this one on my Air and I liked it:

Click Me

----------

I bought the GLAZZ tempered glass screen protector for my retina iPad mini for $20 and it works perfectly. I've owned both an extremely expensive screen protector from Zagg and this less expensive GLAZZ one and to be honest there is no difference. Tempered glass is tempered glass.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8ZJPOK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Same goes for the iPhone, I've owned expensive $40 glass screen protectors and cheap ones ($7 from amazon) and there was zero difference.

The differences that matter most are the adhesive they use and the oleophobic coating (if there actually is one). Yes, glass is glass but that does not mean these protectors are all the same.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I put this one on my Air and I liked it:

Click Me

----------

The differences that matter most are the adhesive they use and the oleophobic coating (if there actually is one). Yes, glass is glass but that does not mean these protectors are all the same.

Ive tried several of them, and they've all had oleophobic coating and good adhesive.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Ive tried several of them, and they've all had oleophobic coating and good adhesive.

Not my experience. Some adhesives left lines. Others said that had oleophobic coating and my finger dragged.

Some of the newer bodyguardz stuff (and this supposed to be high quality) had the same issues. I have sent a bunch back. Pure is good on the iPhone.

SGP, Sir Lancelot have been consistently good but way more expensive.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Not my experience. Some adhesives left lines. Others said that had oleophobic coating and my finger dragged.

Some of the newer bodyguardz stuff (and this supposed to be high quality) had the same issues. I have sent a bunch back. Pure is good on the iPhone.

SGP, Sir Lancelot have been consistently good but way more expensive.

The ones that I mentioned are perfect. They have excellent oleo phobic coating and great adhesive. And they're not ridiculously priced either, just $8 for the iPhone tempered glass screen protector and it's every bit as good as e $40 ones.

TBONE72

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
I am currently using a Zagg Glass on mine and I like those rounded edges. Feels nice to the touch. Zagg does have a lifetime warranty.
I 2nd this opinion on the Zagg Glass. I have it on both my iPad Mini Retina and iPhone 5. Feels great to the touch. Good quality product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.