Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Hey guys,

I have been struggling with this question for months and have read different opinions online. Could you tell me how many iDevices (iPhones, iPads) can be used in combination with one AppleID to download apps?

In my family, we already have three iPhones and three iPads using the same AppleID for downloading apps. It is allowed within one household. But is there a limit to the number of devices you may have?

Now, I am planning to buy a new iPhone when it is released and two new iPads. So, I need to be 100% sure. :)

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Hey guys,

I have been struggling with this question for months and have read different opinions online. Could you tell me how many iDevices (iPhones, iPads) can be used in combination with one AppleID to download apps?

In my family, we already have three iPhones and three iPads using the same AppleID for downloading apps. It is allowed within one household. But is there a limit to the number of devices you may have?

Now, I am planning to buy a new iPhone when it is released and two new iPads. So, I need to be 100% sure. :)

I know there's a limit of 5 computers tied to an iTunes account, but I'm not sure if there's a limit with iDevices. My Apple ID is on two, and my iTunes account is on four.

If there isn't such a limit currently, it may be introduced under iOS 8. Lucky for you, they are adding some family sharing features that will allow the sharing of purchases among several Apple IDs and devices as long as a credit card is shared.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I've got two iPads and two iPhones tied to my personal account. My small business has at least 14 iPhones and two iPads tied to one of my "business" accounts with nary a peep from Apple.

FWIW, in our Apple Developer portal, we're allowed to register up to 100 UUIDs to one account for development - so, I'd hazard a guess that you're safe and 100 iOS devices on one account is a "soft" limit.

Lavender Wait

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2014
I can give you a accurate answer.

To be honest,a quantity of people use the same account to download rechargeable APP in China.Here we call it SHARED ACCOUNT.Besides,many softwares which replace iTunes to simplify the SYNC are based on this function.
For example,Tongbu Tui(同步推)is a sort of these softwares.You can search it on Google to prove my words:)...In addition,I am very strange to others' opinions.Any more questions,welcome to discuss~LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.