Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hawkeye8888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Hey guys,

I just added a 256gb solid state drive to my Macbook Pro in addition to my main hard drive. The SSD is in the original space for hard drive, and I moved my HDD to the optical bay. Before this change, I used to run both OSX and bootcamp (Windows 7) from the same HDD. Now I am running mac on the SSD (works great), but I am having trouble re-installing windows. I would like for windows to run through bootcamp on the other hard drive (in the optical bay), but when I go to install windows it just sits at the startup screen (the one with the little horizontal blinking white line that looks like its waiting for text input). I have my optical drive plugged in via a usb to SATA connector, and after some googling I found out that the optical drive must be internally installed in order for bootcamp to work. My only thought is to:

1. remove the SSD with osx installed on it
2. return my computer to the original optical drive/HDD setup
3. install osx
4. install windows through bootcamp (leaving only a small partition for osx)
5. return the computer to the way it currently is (optical drive out, SSD in)

My concern with this is that I will not be able to boot to windows from my main osx partition... Anyway, big mess. Thanks in advance for the help. :apple:

(Here are my specs)
Macbook Pro Mid-2012
OSX Mavericks (most current version)
Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
8GB Ram 750gb HDD and 256gb SSD

wywong

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
Can you swap your HDD and SSD?

Hi Hawkeye8888,

Just a suggestion. If you have SSD with OSX in the optical bay and main HDD unchanged, I think you can have the option of booting to Windows or either of the OSX installations. Correct me if I am wrong (I am a Mac newbie).

Hope that helps.

wywong

Hawkeye8888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Thanks, that's pretty much what I ended up doing. I added a second partition of osx (one on each hard drive) and then installed windows on the HDD. Also, I just ordered a second optical drive connector so I could plug directly into the motherboard, so I did nor have to fake everything apart to install windows (this has to be done from a "internal" optical bay.

It does turn out that windows has to be in the main hard drive bay (FYI). Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.