Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I took a jigger of Jim Beam Black and pored it over as coup of dulce de leche ice cream and... amazingly good all that good whiskey taste and minimal bite! :D
I think I know why I love Bailey's Irish Cream. Maybe this taste can't be replicated in a straight whiskey. Maybe this is why so e people drink whiskey mixed drinks?

So far I've tried two whiskeys:
JimBeam Black- harsh finish by my noob standards.
Makers Mark- smoother, but not quite what I'm still looking for.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What do you guys think of flavored whiskey?

Bird_Dog_Blackberry_Flavored_Whiskey_1200466.jpg

Bird Dog Blackberry Flavored Whiskey

Jim_Beam_Red_Stag_Black_Cherry_Flavored_Whiskey_92559.png

Jim Beam Red Stag Black Cherry Flavored Whiskey

I also noticed cinammon flavored whiskey... wondering if the flavors smooth it out a bit?

I'm up to try another. I'm looking for the best cheap whiskey. Any suggestions? Take a peek at this page: The Best Cheap Whiskey. :D Based on the ratings at this site, I went looking for Tangle Ridge and Jeremiah Weed Blended Bourbon, but could not find either. Do I owe it to myself to try some Jack Daniels, (but it got a low rating on this site)? :eek: In comparison Wild Turkey 81 Rye got a high rating

Looks like these are potentials based on a couple of articles I read:
*Old Fitzgerald Prime
*Fighting Cock
*Evan Williams
*Very Old Barton
*Rebel Yell

Opinions? Thanks in advance! :D:D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I can't comment on rye whiskey, because I hate it. :p

The only ones that I drink frequently enough are scotch, bourbon, Japanese, Irish, Tennessee whiskey (sort of), and I used to often drink Irish.

Without knowing what you'd consider "cheap", I'd try Bulleit if you want cheap and drinkable. It's probably easy to find, too. My preference is Hogs 3, but I think it's only available in Europe and Australia. I believe Blanton's Special Reserve is also only available internationally, and is quite good -- different from the original (which is also good, but probably considered pricey).

Bailie Nicol Jarvie is blended scotch that's cheap, but amazing. It's essentially a young Glenmorangie, if that's your thing. Heck, I like it more than Glenmorangie Original.

There are quite a few good cheap bourbons. Scotches are different, but perhaps it's different where I live. I find that in order to get a decent scotch, the entry fee is a bit higher. Bailie Nicol Jarvie is amazing for the price, but I'd also recommend Monkey Shoulder, or perhaps something like Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, or Glen Moray 12 y.o. I actually prefer Monkey Shoulder (a blend) to those cheap single malts, but YMMV.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
What do you guys think of flavored whiskey?

Bird Dog Blackberry Flavored Whiskey

Jim Beam Red Stag Black Cherry Flavored Whiskey

I also noticed cinammon flavored whiskey... wondering if the flavors smooth it out a bit?

Bird Dog Blackberry is pretty tasty for a change up to traditional whiskey - I mentioned a few pages back we’d been doing a drink (right from the Bird Dog bottle tag) that’s equal black berry and Tres Leches cream liquor [over ice], _super_ tasty. The peach Bird Dog is decent, but isn’t as good as the blackberry - peach is one of those flavors that always tastes a touch off/artificial (er, unless it’s actual, fresh peaches :) )

I’ve picked up the Red Stag a few times, also tasty - these flavored whiskeys are a nice change up, great for an evening sipper over ice. Since they’re very sweet, they mix nicely with a plain, sparkling water (like LaCroix).

Another “sipper” I like is any of the honey bourbons, again, a nice after dinner drink, smooth and a little sweet. Bushmills makes a fun to drink blended Irish honey that’s pretty terrific (Bushmills Black Bush is probably my favorite, inexpensive, “traditional” Irish sippin’ whiskey).

Not a big fan of the cinnamon flavors, generally if I’m in the mood for something +perky+, I’d rather do something like Sambuca.

rymack

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
Thunder Bay, Ontario
What an interesting thread!

My wife and I honeymooned in Scotland last October. The very first Scotch I ever tried was Talisker (10 year old), and it was one of the two bottles we brought back with us to Canada. The other was a bottle of Ardbeg (I cant remember the year, but I think it was a 10) for the father-in-law, which was also fantastic.

I think I sampled a total of 7 or 8 single malts when we were in Edinburgh and Pitlochry (including the two above-mentioned), but of course I cant really remember which ones. I will dig out my tasting notes from the Scotch Whisky Experience tour we did. Upon returning home I bought a small bottle of Glenfidditch (12 year old), which wasn't really my favourite.

My one regret was not also purchasing a bottle of Cu Boccan (spelling??) from the Drinkmonger in Pitlochry. I have no idea what it tastes like but the packaging and story behind it were super interesting! :p

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I really like Lagavulin, but it's pricey. At least here in Canada it is.

If i'm having scotch, I always start with my first helping of the good stuff and then after that, the 2nd and 3rd round would be just the regular stuff like Glenlevit or something along those lines.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I can't comment on rye whiskey, because I hate it. :p

The only ones that I drink frequently enough are scotch, bourbon, Japanese, Irish, Tennessee whiskey (sort of), and I used to often drink Irish.

Without knowing what you'd consider "cheap", I'd try Bulleit if you want cheap and drinkable. It's probably easy to find, too. My preference is Hogs 3, but I think it's only available in Europe and Australia. I believe Blanton's Special Reserve is also only available internationally, and is quite good -- different from the original (which is also good, but probably considered pricey).

Bailie Nicol Jarvie is blended scotch that's cheap, but amazing. It's essentially a young Glenmorangie, if that's your thing. Heck, I like it more than Glenmorangie Original.

There are quite a few good cheap bourbons. Scotches are different, but perhaps it's different where I live. I find that in order to get a decent scotch, the entry fee is a bit higher. Bailie Nicol Jarvie is amazing for the price, but I'd also recommend Monkey Shoulder, or perhaps something like Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, or Glen Moray 12 y.o. I actually prefer Monkey Shoulder (a blend) to those cheap single malts, but YMMV.

Bulleit is on my list to try and I know it is available. I'll check availability of the others. Thanks!

Bird Dog Blackberry is pretty tasty for a change up to traditional whiskey - I mentioned a few pages back we’d been doing a drink (right from the Bird Dog bottle tag) that’s equal black berry and Tres Leches cream liquor [over ice], _super_ tasty. The peach Bird Dog is decent, but isn’t as good as the blackberry - peach is one of those flavors that always tastes a touch off/artificial (er, unless it’s actual, fresh peaches :) )

I’ve picked up the Red Stag a few times, also tasty - these flavored whiskeys are a nice change up, great for an evening sipper over ice. Since they’re very sweet, they mix nicely with a plain, sparkling water (like LaCroix).

Another “sipper” I like is any of the honey bourbons, again, a nice after dinner drink, smooth and a little sweet. Bushmills makes a fun to drink blended Irish honey that’s pretty terrific (Bushmills Black Bush is probably my favorite, inexpensive, “traditional” Irish sippin’ whiskey).

Not a big fan of the cinnamon flavors, generally if I’m in the mood for something +perky+, I’d rather do something like Sambuca.

Thanks for the suggestions. I love the flavor of wiskey. Sometimes I pour a shot of it over vanilla ice cream for all of the goodness and minimal bite. This is probably why I like Bailey's Irish Cream. Yes, I'm a whiskey light weight. :)

coyote

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2003
Sausalito, CA
Bruichladdich

I really love Bruichladdich whiskeys. My favorite of all time was their 1991 Yellow Submarine, but generally their whiskeys are quite nice.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have a friend who keeps his whiskey in the freezer. I tried it and I discovered that whiskey tastes better to me at room temp, imagine! :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
What an interesting thread!

My wife and I honeymooned in Scotland last October. The very first Scotch I ever tried was Talisker (10 year old), and it was one of the two bottles we brought back with us to Canada. The other was a bottle of Ardbeg (I cant remember the year, but I think it was a 10) for the father-in-law, which was also fantastic.

Talisker 10 and Ardbeg 10 are two of my favourites. :)

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is probably my absolute favourite scotch, and it's tied with Hibiki 17 y.o. as my favourite whisky of any sort.

Hibiki 17 is the same whiskey Bill Murray was shooting a commercial for in Lost in Translation. ;)

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
Memo: A Slower Seesaw!

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is probably my absolute favourite scotch, and it's tied with Hibiki 17 y.o. as my favourite whisky of any sort.

Hibiki 17 is the same whiskey Bill Murray was shooting a commercial for in Lost in Translation. ;)

I have to be in the mood for Laphroaig... the cask strength ten year is good though. It's like... I take a sip and get confused. My brain keeps thinking I have to be chewing it.

The Talisker 10y is one of my favorites. What I like about the Talisker is that it's Islay-esque but not too strong, and still has some highland aspects to it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Wow, based on this article I tried Fighting Cock, a 103 proof, 6 year old Kentucky Burbon made by the Heaven Hill Distillery. At $17 I can't complain, it's pretty darn good sipp'n wiskey. Spicy! It's better than Jim Beam Black, imho. Why is that? :confused: ;)

20131212fightingcockbourbon.jpg

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
This thread is awesome. So many diff't ones I've never heard of.

But my favorite are Jack and Maker's Mark.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I've been wanting to buy a Macallan since I tried their 10 and 21 year old single malts last month while at a wedding reception, and picked this up from The Whisky Exchange.

Damn it's smooth. No age rating and some say that Macallan are being sketchy about not adding any colouring, but regardless it's a very good whisky.

macallan-directors-edition-1700-series-speyside-single-malt-scotch-whisky-70cl-40-abv.jpg

Reactions: BenAigen

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

Ooohh, yes the Quarter Cask is really fine. I haven't had some in a while.......

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If we can agree that anything under $20 is (what is the best word?) inexpensive, modestly priced, cheap, I think my goal is to find the best cheap whiskeys. Fighting Cock is my current favorite, but you won't find it in the following link. :)

The Best Cheap Whiskeys

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've been wanting to buy a Macallan since I tried their 10 and 21 year old single malts last month while at a wedding reception, and picked this up from The Whisky Exchange.

Damn it's smooth. No age rating and some say that Macallan are being sketchy about not adding any colouring, but regardless it's a very good whisky.

macallan-directors-edition-1700-series-speyside-single-malt-scotch-whisky-70cl-40-abv.jpg

I've had a hard time identifying this. All of the Macallens I've located list an age and they are all expensive, $65-70 a bottle and up, their top of the line was £500 plus. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Regarding the quest for the best inexpensive Kentucky bourbon, I think I just struck gold: Evan Williams, smooth easy sipping. 750ML@$12. :D

Still trying to figure out why Jim Beam Black at double the price is harsh in comparison? Must be my taste buds.

EvanWilliams750ml__71361.1357199283.1280.1280.JPG

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Regarding the quest for the best inexpensive Kentucky bourbon, I think I just struck gold: Evan Williams, smooth easy sipping. 750ML@$12. :D

Still trying to figure out why Jim Beam Black at double the price is harsh in comparison? Must be my taste buds.

EvanWilliams750ml__71361.1357199283.1280.1280.JPG

That's what I use when I'm making mixed drinks

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I've had a hard time identifying this. All of the Macallens I've located list an age and they are all expensive, $65-70 a bottle and up, their top of the line was £500 plus. :)

This one has a bit of sketchy history, allegedly Macallan produced a limited run of these to clear out some old barrels. Or that they were produced solely for the travelling market, i.e. duty-free at airports.

Either way, I paid about £55 which is still dear, but relatively inexpensive for what turned out to be a decent single malt from Macallan :p

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Do you sip whiskey? If so what is your preference?

depends on who's buying!

I'll buy various things but going by repeat purchases over the years, Balvenie Doublewood and Highland Park (usually the budget only allows for the 12 y.o.) are favorites

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.