Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psycosis

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
A little late to the party but then to be honest, I've never seen anyone use NFC to pay for anything here in the US. I wonder how prevalent it really is.

Its not right now. Oct 2015, is the EMV switch over date. It requires new hardware by the stores. This new hardware will most likely include NFC support.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Wait, yesterday I just read all the reasons about how NFC isn't going to be in the iPhone 6 from all the forum posters and how it's outdated and Apple won't do it.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Honestly, NFC doesn't bother me. Maybe the iPhone 6 can change that.

Time will tell.

So the iPhone 6 might cause NFC to start bothering you?

Like you buy an iPhone 6, sit down for a nice quiet dinner, and NFC calls you? Or NFC talks the whole time during a movie?

:D

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
I thought Apple Users don't need NFC.

What happened?:rolleyes:

I had NFC on my Xperia Z1 + BlackBerry Z30. And now with the iPhone 5S I don't miss this technology. Payments via NFC are not available in the most EU States.

usamaah

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Chicago
Great, I can trade not using the NFC on my Nexus 5 for not using it on an iPhone.....

Maybe with Apple on-board, NFC mobile payments will take off here in the US.

In Chicago I use NFC on my Moto X for payment (Walgreen's or getting on the city's transport systme , bus or train), as well as the usual sharing and pairing stuff.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
So, a few technologies converging and... payment with a single fingerprint? After you've seen your receipt automatically appear in an app by the cashier? I think I can get behind that.

I hope it's slick whatever it is.

Lot's have tried to come up with a good way to pay for things using smartphones and nothing has really taken off globally. Hopefully Apple can get something going.

NFC to pay. TouchID to authorise. Linked to your iTunes account(?) And receipts all stored electronically. Sounds good.

Pretty late hallmark. I can already do this with my BlackBerry.

And there were a lot of smartphones before the hallmark 1st gen iPhone. There were a lot of MP3 players before the iPod. There were many tablets before the iPad. What's your point?

Ideas are nice. Good implementation is where it's at.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
A little late to the party but then to be honest, I've never seen anyone use NFC to pay for anything here in the US. I wonder how prevalent it really is.

If Apple does it, very. It'll explode once Apple releases it.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
awesome! I cannot wait not to use it

took you guys long enough! swiping is so 1998 ago

Not sure how true this is but from what I heard, the reason it took so long is it would cost the banks more to upgrade the infrastructure then what they lose in fraudulent charges.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
So gimmick features are now "hallmarks"? Out of ideas, are we? :rolleyes:

If pulled off and implemented correctly, this is hardly going to be a "gimmick". It could be the push needed to change the way we use and access our money/cards.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
I thought Apple Users don't need NFC.

What happened?:rolleyes:

I had NFC on my Xperia Z1 + BlackBerry Z30. And now with the iPhone 5S I don't miss this technology. Payments via NFC are not available in the most EU States.

Strange that you think all apple users think the same thing

What happened?

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
I use my NFC debit card whenever I can. Though it's dangerous how easy it is to make a payment. The time normally taken to enter a PIN is gone and so is the fleeting chance of a second guess.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
If Apple does do nfc payments, then in about 2-3 years most retailers in the US will have this option at checkout

This exactly.. except more like 1-2 years.

All the Androiders, etc, that will say "we've had that for years" should be asked "then why is the tech irrelevant in America?"

When Apple gets behind mobile phone payments the tech will become ubiquitous in America. It will take a bit of time but in a few years paying with your phone will be incredibly common.

(Looking forward to getting notifications when my daughter tries to spend my money! :D)

:apple:

iAshley

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
So, a few technologies converging and... payment with a single fingerprint? After you've seen your receipt automatically appear in an app by the cashier? I think I can get behind that.

No cashiers.

Just pick up your items and leave, scanners pick up what you've got and charge you. You agree with a finger print, the alarms don't go off?

I don't know, something like that.

Off course this all means even less jobs but as long as the big corporations make more money they'll do it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Late to the party based on what? If you're wondering how prevalent it is how can Apple be late to the party?

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
I use my NFC debit card whenever I can. Though it's dangerous how easy it is to make a payment. The time normally taken to enter a PIN is gone and so is the fleeting chance of a second guess.

I'm hoping it takes off in the US if apple does it. I've had it on my phones for two years just never used it because its only at gas stations and mcdonalds haha. If it goes everywhere I might give it a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.