Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charles Lucane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
texas
I just recently purchased this macbook pro thirteen inch, mid 2014. I am completely new to macintosh computers. I grew up in a family of programmers that lived and died by PCs'. So far I'm impressed with the ease of use compared to a PC. I also am astonished that this computer has high resolution than my gaming pc.

The reason for this post is simple. I wish to know; how do I maximize my mac experience? I bought this for school; I'm studying Game Design, and this is a requirement. Are there any software programs that are must haves? Are there specific apps that are essential for Art?

Thank you in advance!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I just recently purchased this macbook pro thirteen inch, mid 2014. I am completely new to macintosh computers. I grew up in a family of programmers that lived and died by PCs'. So far I'm impressed with the ease of use compared to a PC. I also am astonished that this computer has high resolution than my gaming pc.

The reason for this post is simple. I wish to know; how do I maximize my mac experience? I bought this for school; I'm studying Game Design, and this is a requirement. Are there any software programs that are must haves? Are there specific apps that are essential for Art?

Thank you in advance!

Adobe Creative Cloud.

You might also want to check out some Autodesk apps.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I'd wait before getting into school before getting the software. You'll see what software you need and you'll also have access to student discounts.

As yjchua95 mentioned, you'll probably need Adobe Creative Cloud. I'm not too sure what your course entails, but it probably has some 3D model making, animation, rendering - wait to see what your school uses for this. Does it involve some programming as well?

--
I'm not too sure why others are talking about FCPX. I'm guessing video editing will not be your primary concern. And even then, you'll probably be using Photoshop and Illustrator from Creative Cloud, so you might as well get all the Adobe video programs with it - Premiere, After Effects, Audition and Speed Grade.

Charles Lucane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
texas
I'd wait before getting into school before getting the software. You'll see what software you need and you'll also have access to student discounts.

As yjchua95 mentioned, you'll probably need Adobe Creative Cloud. I'm not too sure what your course entails, but it probably has some 3D model making, animation, rendering - wait to see what your school uses for this. Does it involve some programming as well?

--
I'm not too sure why others are talking about FCPX. I'm guessing video editing will not be your primary concern. And even then, you'll probably be using Photoshop and Illustrator from Creative Cloud, so you might as well get all the Adobe video programs with it - Premiere, After Effects, Audition and Speed Grade.

Ya thankyou, just found out the school sells the software for 60%-80% discount. Which I will need to purchase in a few weeks.

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
I'm studying CS but I'm playing at home with game development (just programming in OpenGL atm).

I'm not sure what exactly Game Design in this case covers, but besides good programming IDE and graphics suite I don't know what else you could need. Some 3D modeling software? You're probably going to do a bit of everything.

I wouldn't buy anything unless it's required or you personally need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.