Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Thank you! Also, I was searching for an older thread where user titles were being discussed and several people were posting guesses about post levels and titles. I can't find it now, but one poster had compiled a list and Doctor Q said they were close, but off on a couple. I can't find that thread now, but thought it would be helpful to link it here.

I'll also give confirmation that these are correctly listed above as well. Credit to whomever figured it out of course!

• Penryn => 24,000 posts
  • Nehalem => 30,000 posts

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I'm curious to see data on the number of members holding the various ranks -- say from 6502 to Westmere.

What's the shape of that curve?

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Two things for the OP:

You mention in the first post that this is a wiki post, but there is no edit button.

The post level for Westmere isn't unknown; it's 37,000 posts.

Thanks for the edits!

I made it a Wiki for him.

Also, you are correct, Westmere is, in fact, 37,000 posts.

Thank you! Thought I had checked the wiki box, apparently had a derp halfway through.

Thank you! Also, I was searching for an older thread where user titles were being discussed and several people were posting guesses about post levels and titles. I can't find it now, but one poster had compiled a list and Doctor Q said they were close, but off on a couple. I can't find that thread now, but thought it would be helpful to link it here.

I'll find it with time, I've been stalking Doctor Q's threads for a while in the past day to set this up :p

I'll also give confirmation that these are correctly listed above as well. Credit to whomever figured it out of course!

• Penryn => 24,000 posts
  • Nehalem => 30,000 posts

Yay! I did some educated guesses based on stalking members on Doctor Q's top users list. I thought I spotted an underlying trend of +1000, +2000, +3000 per step, but Pentium and P6 threw me off the trail. So unless you guys have other sneaky steps in there, I suppose Sandy Bridge will be 45,000!

I'm curious to see data on the number of members holding the various ranks -- say from 6502 to Westmere.

I think it would look logarithmic, actually... It wasn't graphed by Doctor Q, but in his ranking of the top users from Jan 2013 one gets a bit of perspective:

GGJstudios (macrumors Nehalem)
jessica. (macrumors Nehalem)
Eidorian (macrumors Penryn)
rdowns (macrumors Penryn)
Abstract (macrumors Penryn)
bartelby (macrumors Core)
Dagless (macrumors Core)
miles01110 (macrumors Core)
PlaceofDis (macrumors Core)
iBlue (macrumors Core)
~Shard~ (macrumors P6)
alphaod (macrumors P6)
simsaladimbamba (macrumors P6)
DoFoT9 (macrumors P6)
MacNut (macrumors P6)
wdlove (macrumors P6)
dukebound85 (macrumors P6)
iJohnHenry (macrumors P6)
-aggie- (macrumors P6)
Peace (macrumors G5)
Sun Baked (macrumors G5)
KnightWRX (macrumors G5)
twoodcc (macrumors G5)
IJ Reilly (macrumors G5)

The distribution at the time was 2,3,5,9 for just the top four tiers, and I would imagine it becomes linear in the mid-levels of use, and then probably a lot of people stuck as newbies, members, and regulars.

If only I were an admin, I've been quite curious as well! Perhaps I can convince Doctor Q to consider it for his Jan 2015 statistics if I approach him nicely! Or, if he can't be bothered, perhaps he might share some of his data and let me to the crunching. I'll reach out to him later today :cool:

Last edited:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

There is an old (few years old) table floating around with the distribution of users at various title ranks. Something like 98% of users are newbies. I'd dig it up, but not only is it a few years old, it was under the old rank naming system.

I would love to see an update though.......;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
sorry nope, if you can't enjoy the inside joke of the user ranks then you don't deserve to be in a mac forum :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

TS, Thanks for reminding me that I only have 96 more to go before I become 603 :)

Question for the mods, have you guys/gals considered adding the iOS ARM processors into the mix?

Being a 603 isn't all that!

I think the user titles work well. Join dates can be meaningless, as people often join and post very little.

----------

There is an old (few years old) table floating around with the distribution of users at various title ranks. Something like 98% of users are newbies. I'd dig it up, but not only is it a few years old, it was under the old rank naming system.

Doctor Q's your man.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand

See these posts from earlier this year: all users, breakdown of newbies

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
@C DM , can we now confirm Sandy Bridge at 45,000?
@maflynn , if you weren’t a mod, what would your status be?

The most updated Top 50 would seem to confirm Sandy Bridge, and if maflynn were so inclined, we could piece together another title or two (still in Haswell? Maybe Skylake?).

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
@C DM , can we now confirm Sandy Bridge at 45,000?
@maflynn , if you weren’t a mod, what would your status be?

The most updated Top 50 would seem to confirm Sandy Bridge, and if maflynn were so inclined, we could piece together another title or two (still in Haswell? Maybe Skylake?).

Interesting.

Actually, I've been a Contributor for so long that I seem to have travelled through a number of the standard 'ranks' without even having been aware of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.