Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arkangil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Hi all,

Before the end of this year I will be buying a new laptop to replace my late 2009 MBP. I will be buying at the time I need it, not waiting for the always around the corner "new" model.

Question is this. How does the boot speed compare between the Air and the Pro, now that both are using flash storage. My MBP using a traditional hard drive is slow (now) and really slow compared to my buddy's MBA. Obviously not comparing oranges to oranges (avoiding the pun) since his is newer, but still.

Has the boot speed and program loading speed of the MBP caught up to the Air when both use flash storage, or does the MBP still lag due to some reason or other?

Thanks,

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Are you talking about the new non Retina MBP models with a SSD upgrade option? Those still use SATA interface drives where the Air and Retina models use a faster PCIe interface, so in raw drive speeds the Air and Retina will be faster. But as far as boot times they will be very very close.

Arkangil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
I'd be looking to get either a 13" MBA near top spec, or a lower-middle end 15" retina MBP. I haven't spec'd them exactly, but it would be somewhere in those ranges.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'd be looking to get either a 13" MBA near top spec, or a lower-middle end 15" retina MBP. I haven't spec'd them exactly, but it would be somewhere in those ranges.

Gotcha... you will notice zero difference in boot time between those.

Arkangil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
So it really comes down to if I need the power and/or higher rez screen, and if I'm willing to pay for those things.

Thanks!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The great thing about my new MBA is that I seldom shut it down. Just put it to sleep and wake it up when you need it. Wake ups only take seconds.

Best laptop I have owned and I run Windows 7 Pro 99% of the time via BootCamp!

Arkangil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Good to know. I won't be using bootcamp much, unless I want to try and play a game, but it's the wakeup speed I really want. There are some good 2013 Air options on the refurb site right now, but I figure towards the end of teh year I might have 2014 options too. Probably a minimal speed boost, but I'll take it if I can get it.

Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.