Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AsprineTm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2014
Dual/SLI is unlikely. No driver support on osX.
But rumor has it 980m will be 20nm.
http://wccftech.com/20nm-maxwell-launching-geforce-mobility/

pizzapappa

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Im hoping nvidia will release something interesting tomorrow and that it finds it way to the new imac. Replacing my macbook for an imac but I dont really want to right now being mid cycle and all.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
A desktop GPU wouldn't fit in an iMac, because the iMac is so thin.
With Maxwell, nVidias desktop-class chips are well within the thermal envelope of current iMac's mobile-based graphic solutions, so it could be done.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Im hoping nvidia will release something interesting tomorrow and that it finds it way to the new imac. Replacing my macbook for an imac but I dont really want to right now being mid cycle and all.

I just ordered a new iMac with the GTX 780M, so knowing my luck they'll unveil a mobile Titan just after my return window expires.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
With Maxwell, nVidias desktop-class chips are well within the thermal envelope of current iMac's mobile-based graphic solutions, so it could be done.

Yes but a 750 Ti is not an improvement over a 780M. Maybe the new cards will be but then a desktop 880 or 870 will likely be well beyond the thermal envelope. Again, all mobile chips are selected desktop chips with the clocks and voltages lowered. An 860M (non-MXM version) uses the same GM107 as the 750 Ti.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Well, with the 680MX we got the proper GTX680 desktop chip, but underclocked. That's why this card performs so well (and it also overclocks very well, being able to more or less match the performance of a desktop 680@default with only minimal temp increase). Unfortunately the 780M and the 880M are just rebranding of the same old 680MX chip only higher clocked, but worse at overclocking (throttles). Lets hope that that Nvidia and Apple can gives us another MX option in the next iMac update.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Can someone school me in a Retina display Mac?

I don't see the point but its probably just due to my lack of understanding.

For example I'm on my 27" iMac using a resolution of 2560x1440. At this resolution even at 27" everything is on the small side. Text at times can be tough to read and images at relatively small. Wouldn't increasing the resolution make this even worse?

Its nice because I can fit a lot on my desktop for multitasking but anymore resolution and things would become too small (text) to be useable. You could stretch things for clarity but that would negate the extra resolution.

4k videos maybe? But even then I'd be switching between resolutions just to watch videos.

I'm probably just missing something. Thanks for any enlightenment.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Can someone school me in a Retina display Mac?

I don't see the point but its probably just due to my lack of understanding.

For example I'm on my 27" iMac using a resolution of 2560x1440. At this resolution even at 27" everything is on the small side. Text at times can be tough to read and images at relatively small. Wouldn't increasing the resolution make this even worse?

Its nice because I can fit a lot on my desktop for multitasking but anymore resolution and things would become too small (text) to be useable. You could stretch things for clarity but that would negate the extra resolution.

4k videos maybe? But even then I'd be switching between resolutions just to watch videos.

I'm probably just missing something. Thanks for any enlightenment.

HiDPI... see here.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
The differences between Yosemite on iMac vs macbook pro retina is huge..i think Yosemite is build for retina.. on Maveriks i didn't saw this difference in architecture of OSX.
So i think with the introduction of Yosemite will be the new iMacs

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
The differences between Yosemite on iMac vs macbook pro retina is huge..i think Yosemite is build for retina.. on Maveriks i didn't saw this difference in architecture of OSX.
So i think with the introduction of Yosemite will be the new iMacs

What makes Yosemite better on retina (vs. Mavericks)? I find this a bit disconcerting, especially if Apple are deliberately choosing fonts that look inferior on normal non-retina displays (I didn't like the new Yosemite system font at all btw.).

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I think a retina iMac with 980MX and standard SSD with 16 Gb Ram will have good sales. Me included.
They already make the 15" Macbook Pro with 16Gb RAm standard so this i think will be the future for the new iMac and mac Pro in October

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Is the Retina iMac only rumored for the 27" or the 21.5" iMac as well?

This is just a guess on my part, but I think the current iMac line will continue (with a speed bump), and the retina iMac will be a new separate model - most likely a 24'' display with 4K resolution.
Personally I doubt I will go retina anytime soon. I like gaming occasionally in Windows/Bootcamp, and then the retina display would be a big issue (playing in native resolution with recent games would bring the GPU to its knees, and any other resolution would look blurry).

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
This is just a guess on my part, but I think the current iMac line will continue (with a speed bump), and the retina iMac will be a new separate model - most likely a 24'' display with 4K resolution.
Personally I doubt I will go retina anytime soon. I like gaming occasionally in Windows/Bootcamp, and then the retina display would be a big issue (playing in native resolution with recent games would bring the GPU to its knees, and any other resolution would look blurry).

I feel the same way about Retina on a desktop.

At my previous job, I was issued a 13" Macbook Pro with Retina display and the regular desktop web (this includes laptops too - essentially x86_64 devices) didn't look that spectacular at all. Developers need to optimize for retina/high dpi displays before it will be a joy to use. Then the idea of gaming at a native resolution with the usual GPU choices that Apple selects for the iMac lineup will be a concern out of the gate.

The mobile web was lucky in a sense as it grew and developed with retina / high dpi displays in mind. Rarely do I find myself on a mobile site that isn't optimized for my iPhone 5s display.

Hopefully as the web continues to embrace a responsive design it also begins to take into consideration that high dpi displays and pixel scaling/doubling will be used more and more on the desktop.

lookatchu

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2013

Actually, this makes a lot of sense. Agree about the GPU as well. I'm also curious how much better the text would look from 2-3 feet away on a retina iMac (21.5' or 24") than the current 21".

zarf2007

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
London, UK
I feel the same way about Retina on a desktop.

At my previous job, I was issued a 13" Macbook Pro with Retina display and the regular desktop web (this includes laptops too - essentially x86_64 devices) didn't look that spectacular at all. Developers need to optimize for retina/high dpi displays before it will be a joy to use. Then the idea of gaming at a native resolution with the usual GPU choices that Apple selects for the iMac lineup will be a concern out of the gate.

The mobile web was lucky in a sense as it grew and developed with retina / high dpi displays in mind. Rarely do I find myself on a mobile site that isn't optimized for my iPhone 5s display.

Hopefully as the web continues to embrace a responsive design it also begins to take into consideration that high dpi displays and pixel scaling/doubling will be used more and more on the desktop.

Why do people assume the ability to game at full res 4k when you can't do full res on a current 27" iMac with any serious FPS? Personally I would be happy for 4K desktop/apps/movies and less for gaming....a 980m would easily handle that.

As for 24", I doubt they would introduce another smaller SKU given 27" and above are the norm for displays now, personally 21" seems very small to me.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Is the Retina iMac only rumored for the 27" or the 21.5" iMac as well?
I think most here it's speculation, today some guy at some where who knows a girl cousin of some moron at Apple, that the next iMac will have similar size but wider screen aspect ratio, and res something like 5k x 2k for 28" and 3k x 1.5k for 22" both with *Pro* moniker, black unibody and latest nVidia gpu. I7-4770R top cpu (pity I hoped by an Haswell-E 6/8cores) and soldered ram on the 22" model and mobile ddr3 upgradable ram on the 28" model both cpu gpu on both machines soldered, user only could be capable to upgrade the 28" on ram, spinner HDD as base upto 1.5 tb and ssd upto 1.5 tb too, storage options for Mac Pro also will have 1.5tb as top ssd.

Only Mac Pro / xMac Pro will offer ddr4 this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.