Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grubworth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I need a apple keyboard but don't fancy paying £60 a keyboard. I want a small wired one (MB869LL compact) but they go for same price as bluetooth in most cases plus they come with usb ports on the side.
I am looking to grab a bargain and get a QWERTZ keyboard, and thinking of swapping the few keys around and changing the setting to QWERTY. saving myself some money and I don't mind playing around to save a buck.
Is this possible? changing the keys and setting it up in OSX? currently using a big microsoft keyboard so cannot access the settings to see if its possible. Thanks!

Mac210882

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2014
Is it really worth it? Really? :confused:

How much money are you saving compared to the hassle factor of physically pulling off keys and hoping that you're going to get a 100% working keyboard at the end of it, both from a hardware and software perspective?

Saving money is good, but this seems a little excessive...

Tavicu

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
Romania
I need a apple keyboard but don't fancy paying £60 a keyboard. I want a small wired one (MB869LL compact) but they go for same price as bluetooth in most cases plus they come with usb ports on the side.
I am looking to grab a bargain and get a QWERTZ keyboard, and thinking of swapping the few keys around and changing the setting to QWERTY. saving myself some money and I don't mind playing around to save a buck.
Is this possible? changing the keys and setting it up in OSX? currently using a big microsoft keyboard so cannot access the settings to see if its possible. Thanks!

Yes you can! All you have to do is to set U.S on os and then swap the keys!

I bought an azerty keyboard and reorder the keys for qwerty!

grubworth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Is it really worth it? Really? :confused:

How much money are you saving compared to the hassle factor of physically pulling off keys and hoping that you're going to get a 100% working keyboard at the end of it, both from a hardware and software perspective?

Saving money is good, but this seems a little excessive...

A compact British Apple keyboard is £48 second hand. An official Apple qwertz compact keyboard is £10 (still sealed, they came in bulk) in the UK currently.

You can buy a wired broken uk Apple keyboard for £5, this is just for the keys if you want. I may just keep the keys the same as I know my way around without looking at the keyboard.

Mac210882

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2014
Fair enough! I'd be worried about breaking it and having two non-working keyboards.

I'm watching a few UK keyboards on eBay at the moment and hope to get one for around 25-30 GBP....

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
When I bought the laptop I was a QWERTY typist. A year later I switched to Dvorak. That meant switching literally every letter key and then some.

It is possible to switch around ANY key on most MacBook Pros. Some models, especially the newer ones from what I hear, have sideways home index keys (where the nubs would be) so those keys could be sideways. I know this was the case with the Apple Wired Keyboard I have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.