Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tampasteve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I am starting a new project to make a web server. I am just starting my research, so forgive me if I seem novice - I am.

I would like to make a web server for a wordpress website. My options for the host machine are:

Dual 2.0 G5 Xserve running 10.5.8
Dual 2.0 G5 PowerMac running 10.5.8
Mac Mini G4 running 10.5.8 or 10.4.11
Mac Mini Intel Core Solo running 10.5.8 or 10.6.8

I can change the OS to be a OSX server edition if there is a reason, but from what I have read there is really no reason for this application. The machine will be in an office rack, so noise and power consumption are not really an issue (though, power consumption is worth thinking of).

I am comfortable working on any of these, so parts and troubleshooting are not really a concern. Eventually it may be used as a mail server too, but first I want to get the website done and stable.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Out of the different machine options, which would be the best for this application.

Ah, if you have space then id say the one with the best specifications and hard drive slots.
Either the Xserve or the Powermac, id say Xserve.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I am starting a new project to make a web server. I am just starting my research, so forgive me if I seem novice - I am.

I would like to make a web server for a wordpress website. My options for the host machine are:

Dual 2.0 G5 Xserve running 10.5.8
Dual 2.0 G5 PowerMac running 10.5.8
Mac Mini G4 running 10.5.8 or 10.4.11
Mac Mini Intel Core Solo running 10.5.8 or 10.6.8

I can change the OS to be a OSX server edition if there is a reason, but from what I have read there is really no reason for this application. The machine will be in an office rack, so noise and power consumption are not really an issue (though, power consumption is worth thinking of).

I am comfortable working on any of these, so parts and troubleshooting are not really a concern. Eventually it may be used as a mail server too, but first I want to get the website done and stable.

I would go with one of the G5s. When Gavin Stubbs gets on he can tell you all about this in depth.

tampasteve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Ah, if you have space then id say the one with the best specifications and hard drive slots.
Either the Xserve or the Powermac, id say Xserve.

I do love the Xserve Macs and have been looking for a reason to use them.

With about $10-$20 the Intell Mino would be the best option.

Would that $10-$20 go to upgrading Core Solo to a CD/C2D or am I misunderstanding?

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US

tampasteve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
If you have the space and like the option of having swappable PSU's then the xserve is a cool Mac. It will use a lot more power and generate a TON more noise than a Mini

http://www.minnowboard.org/

Space is not an issue as this is going to be in a full rack in my office, which has about 25% empty space now. Noise is not a huge issue as the data room is generally not occupied full time. That said, I may lean towards the PowerMac G5 for noise issues anyway.

Or maybe use the Core Solo Mac Mini and upgrade it to a C2D so I can use modern apps. Those processors are going for around $16 shipped on Ebay.

The minnow board looks pretty cool, but maybe a "0" was dropped from the original suggestion? They look like they cost $100 or $200. One of the advantages of the other mentioned machines is that I already own them all, so cost to start this project is $0.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Would that $10-$20 go to upgrading Core Solo to a CD/C2D or am I misunderstanding?

Yes, get an Intell T7200 Core2Duo that runs at 2Ghz from eBay and put it into your Mini. It'll be much better than the G5s for web server purposes. Possibly more powerful as well.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
I would upgrade the mini to a Core 2 Duo (which shouldn't be no more than $20 at the max) if anything you require needs a newer version of OS X (if SL/Lion really provides anything different from Leopard in terms of web hosting).

I've tried running a rack server (dual processor dual core AMD 2u) and it made too much heat and during the summer my room temps would be 90*F plus! A G5 would use too much heat as well and what I need it to do wouldn't work out well, and ultimately I have a iMac with a core duo that works fine with Windows in virtualbox for the PPC Archive server. Windows is needed otherwise I would be using a 466MHz Digital Audio.

Now for just a web/mail server anything will work. In that case I would go all out Xserve. It'll be your most reliable machine and with the air it moves there shouldn't be any issues and even with a lot of stress it'll be able to push through.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Don't use Tiger to host a publicly accessible website using the built Apache server. It is very out of date and a big security flaw. Leopard's Apache is at least an Apache 2.2 branch. I think it's 2.2.6, maybe something newer.

tampasteve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
So consensus seems to lead to two options: Xserve or Mac Mini upgraded.

Let us assume I am going to upgrade the Mini to a C2D regardless of this project. In that case which would be better suited, the Mini or Xserve? Right now I am leaning towards the Mini, but the Xserve is a great machine and I would LOVE to put this one back in daily service rather than just having it sit on a shelf in our warehouse. Obviously the Mini can run SL, is that an advantage over Leopard in this case?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Snow Leopard is more secure than Leopard by a few years. The Mini would be much quieter and use much less energy. Once upgraded with a Core2Duo, that Mini can even run Lion without a problem.

tampasteve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Core2Duo processor is on its way from Ebay. Should be a fun upgrade to do.

I might put a new HDD or SSD in while I am in there. Any recommendations on less expensive SSDs? It does not need to be huge as the application does not need a ton of storage, and any additional storage I need I can always use an external drive.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I'd vote Mini with dual-core upgrade, running an up-to-date Linux for anything public internet-facing. Don't run an out-of-date OS as an internet-facing server. That's just asking for trouble.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Core2Duo processor is on its way from Ebay. Should be a fun upgrade to do.

I might put a new HDD or SSD in while I am in there. Any recommendations on less expensive SSDs? It does not need to be huge as the application does not need a ton of storage, and any additional storage I need I can always use an external drive.

Samsung 840 Evo is fantastic in the budget range. It isn't as cheap as say some of the SSDs out there but there is great performance and warranty backing their drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.