Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:13 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

More Claims of September 9 Debut for Apple's Wearable Device, Likely Positioned as iPhone Accessory

Yesterday, Re/code broke the news that Apple planned to introduce its upcoming wearable device alongside the iPhone 6, and now Bloomberg is seconding that rumor, pointing towards a simultaneous debut of two different iPhones and a wearable device at Apple's September 9 event.

According to Re/code, Apple had originally planned to introduce its wearable device at an October event separate from its September iPhone event, but later ended up changing its plans. Bloomberg speculates that Apple's plan to debut the wearable device alongside the iPhone may be the company's way of limiting expectations for the device, positioning it more as an iPhone accessory rather than a standalone device.
Quote:
Apple will give the new wearable a boost by pairing its debut with its flagship product, the iPhone. The company also may be trying to manage expectations for the new device, signaling that it's more of an accessory instead of a category that stands by itself. By contrast, when the iPad was introduced in 2010, Apple held a special event just for that product.
Apple does appear to be planning a major affair for the debut of the wearable device and the two iPhones, however, holding the event at the Flint Center at De Anza College where it introduced the original Macintosh thirty years ago and the first iMac in 1998. The company is building a massive structure on the site, the purpose of which remains unclear.

Both Apple CEO Tim Cook and iTunes chief Eddy Cue have also heavily hyped Apple's upcoming product lineup, with Cue saying it's the "best product pipeline" in 25 years and Cook promising "really great stuff" in new product categories.

It is likely Apple is planning to unveil its wearable device, which has commonly been called the iWatch in rumors, several months before it becomes available to consumers. A distinct lack of product leaks and tangible rumors have suggested the device is not yet in production, and an introduction before a deluge of part leaks allows Apple to debut the device while it's still largely a surprise.

Though we've not seen images of Apple's wearable device, rumors have suggested it will have a heavy focus on health and fitness with an array of health-related sensors that measure metrics like steps taken, sleep quality, heart rate, and more. It's said to come in multiple sizes and at multiple price points, and it is also said to be heavily integrated with the iPhone and iOS 8 features like the Health app.

(Image: 2.5-inch iWatch concept by SET Solutions)

Article Link: More Claims of September 9 Debut for Apple's Wearable Device, Likely Positioned as iPhone Accessory
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:14 PM   #2
AceMason
macrumors regular

Tuesday will be a great day.
AceMason is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:15 PM   #3
Dilster3k
macrumors 6502

Argh I can't wait, I feel as the days get closer the more excited I'll get.

Am I the only one who doesn't feel ready for the watch yet?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:15 PM   #4
brock2621
macrumors 6502a

Inductive charging please
brock2621 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:16 PM   #5
exodiusprime
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to exodiusprime Send a message via MSN to exodiusprime
I keep asking myself when I'd ever be truly using such a device. My phone is always with me, so the likelihood I'd be sending a text message on a smaller screen seems absurd.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:16 PM   #6
Rogifan
macrumors G3

How does Bloomberg speculation = "likely"? Seems they're just guessing like everyone else.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:16 PM   #7
apolloa
macrumors 601

If it's a watch, cool, kudos to anyone who buy's it, lets hope it's battery lasts longer than 12 hours unlike others lets also hope as soon as you buy it they don't announce another model unlike others

Anyway, if it's some sort of fitness band thing... I may be interested...

Watch no, fitness band hmmm...
apolloa is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:17 PM   #8
HowEver
macrumors 6502a

"Yesterday, Re/code broke the news that Apple planned to introduce its upcoming wearable device alongside the iPhone 6, and now Bloomberg is seconding that rumor, pointing towards a simultaneous debut of two different iPhones and a wearable device at Apple's September 9 event. ...."

With full recognition that this is a rumour site, it would be great if there were any basis other than wild guessing to something you call "news."
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:20 PM   #9
nezr
macrumors newbie

My wrist is ready
nezr is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:20 PM   #10
CarlosQG
macrumors 6502a

History has taught me to wait until the second generation of Apple's mobile hardware.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:20 PM   #11
Piggie
macrumors 601

Is this going to be the biggest let down of the year I wonder?

End up being just a modded fuel band, with just a load more sensors, linked to only work/be compatible with the iPhone's new health apps, and that's all this expectation will end up being in reality?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:21 PM   #12
GuitarDTO
macrumors 6502a

If it is merely an iPhone accessory, don't even bother announcing it. Consumers aren't going to buy into that fad unless it brings something more.
GuitarDTO is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:21 PM   #13
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

I tend to get my hopes up before these events and sometimes they end up being meh, but idk ... the new iPhone is definitely going to be great and this "wrist accessory" is most likely going to be a game changer .

I guess we'll see soon .
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:21 PM   #14
troop231
macrumors 601

I'm interested to see if there will be dedicated apps for the iWatch. This will be another opportunity for developers to get in on a new device category that hasn't existed since the iPad. I'm not sure how ergonomic playing mini app games or really any apps will be on the iWatch however.
troop231 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:21 PM   #15
jclo
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowEver View Post
"Yesterday, Re/code broke the news that Apple planned to introduce its upcoming wearable device alongside the iPhone 6, and now Bloomberg is seconding that rumor, pointing towards a simultaneous debut of two different iPhones and a wearable device at Apple's September 9 event. ...."

With full recognition that this is a rumour site, it would be great if there were any basis other than wild guessing to something you call "news."
I really wouldn't call Re/code's report "wild guessing." It's a highly reliable site that has correctly revealed information on events several times in the past.
jclo is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:21 PM   #16
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exodiusprime View Post
I keep asking myself when I'd ever be truly using such a device. My phone is always with me, so the likelihood I'd be sending a text message on a smaller screen seems absurd.
You won't be. It won't be like the Galaxy Gear. That's the best Samsung could imagine when they tried to beat Apple to the punch with a wearable.

It's not going to be a touchscreen. Think 3D Minority Report-type tech.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:23 PM   #17
nikko1423
macrumors newbie

This actually makes sense, especially as to why they moved it up. It may be an amazing device, but I suppose it's full purpose isn't for a person's first device, unlike the iPad was. An amazing iphone, with a stupendous "accessory" and ios8 (and Metal )? Sounds amazing to me.

The only thing that can make it better is a new iPod
nikko1423 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:24 PM   #18
stridemat

The stars seem to be aligning with iBecaons in shops and this now 'band' device. Hmmmm.
stridemat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:24 PM   #19
buzzcutt
macrumors newbie

So does that mean...We'll be getting the WATCHES with our PHONES?
buzzcutt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:24 PM   #20
Michael73
macrumors 6502a

Not sure how I feel about an accessory versus a stand-alone device. I know they don't want to cannibalize one product line for another e.g. you don't need a phone if you get the watch. On the other hand comes the inevitable questions if it's an accessory like how close does the phone need to be for the two to work together. If I walk in the door of my house and plug the phone in to charge but I have the watch on and I'm upstairs or in the backyard a 100ft away will it work? What about signal strength and interference? If the phone runs out of battery but the watch doesn't, how much functionality do I get out of the watch?

I'm sure they thought this all through so I'll be interested to see what they come up with.
2TB TC, 64GB iPad / 5S / 4S, Drobo 5D, 3 x TV
Michael73 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:25 PM   #21
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Here's what I'm thinking

Everyone is thinking "watch" or "bracelet", but we're probably far from reality.

Remember when there was rumours about the iPhone and people thought it would be an iPod that can make phone calls? Steve even had a funny image in his presentation.

It wouldn't surprise me that when they show it to us, we'll all be "what? wow!".
Yvan256 is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:25 PM   #22
gugy
macrumors 68000

better be waterproof because if it is not then forget it.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:26 PM   #23
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
Is this going to be the biggest let down of the year I wonder?

End up being just a modded fuel band, with just a load more sensors, linked to only work/be compatible with the iPhone's new health apps, and that's all this expectation will end up being in reality?
You wish that to be the case so you come here afterwards and let us all know what a letdown it was.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:27 PM   #24
Ahheck01
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosQG View Post
History has taught me to wait until the second generation of Apple's mobile hardware.
History has taught me to get every generation of Apple's mobile hardware.
iPhone 5 ; 16GB ; White
Ahheck01 is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 04:27 PM   #25
TheNewDude
macrumors 6502a

Something tells me that this iWatch is going to let a lot of people down. I think our expectations of it are way too high compared to what Apple has in store for us.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion