Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applestore.png
Following a report from Wired suggesting NFC-based mobile payments will be a "hallmark" feature of the iPhone 6 and a confirmation from Re/code, Apple blogger John Gruber has now thrown in his two cents, with a cryptic post hinting Apple is indeed planning on including NFC in the iPhone 6 as part of a new mobile payment solution.

Gruber's post references an earlier "joke" that pointed towards a wearable device debut in September, which turned out to be accurate in light of recent rumors also suggesting a September introduction for the device.
I've been working on a new joke -- about NFC and a new secure enclave where you can store your credit cards, so you can pay for things at brick and mortar retail stores just by taking out your iPhone, but only if it's one of the new iPhones -- but no one seems to get my sense of humor.
Gruber suggests Apple's NFC-based mobile payment solution will take advantage of a new secure enclave coprocessor built into the company's new A8 chip, which is in line with previous reports. The secure enclave would likely store credit card details, allowing users to pay for physical goods with their iPhones and it would presumably work in conjunction with Touch ID.

Though rumors of NFC support in the iPhone have occurred for every new iPhone release over the past several years, NFC rumors have been especially prevalent ahead of the iPhone 6 launch. Back in April, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggested the iPhone 6 would include an NFC chip, as did a follow up report from BrightWire.

At the same time, multiple reports have suggested Apple is gearing up to launch a mobile payment solution designed to leverage credit card data stored in millions of iTunes accounts. Apple is said to be partnering up with major credit card companies like Visa, and the company has also been interviewing senior payments industry executives to take on new roles within the company.

While Apple has previously viewed NFC as "not the solution to any current problem," it may be changing its opinion on the subject in light of its new mobile payment initiative. The company is expected to debut the iPhone 6, and possibly its new payment solution, at an upcoming event on September 9.

Update 8/29 10:20 AM PT: John Gruber has updated his original post, also hinting that Apple's upcoming wearable device will include support for NFC. "Follow-up joke: It would be cool, and would make a lot of sense, if the new wearable thing had the same magic payment apparatus."

Article Link: Apple Blogger John Gruber Hints at NFC For iPhone 6 [Update: iWatch Too]

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
There are way too many NFC articles at this point, I think it can be moved out of the "rumors" category its been put in. Apple will work with others and usher in an entirely simplistic form of payment - a hover and swipe.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
He's right- Macrumors can't tell when he is joking or not. He could have some fun with that.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Now all we need is a 'Yep' from Jim Dalrymple. On a side note: alot of forum members will be pleased that Gruber is now classified as a blogger instead of a journalist. :D (See last Gruber mentioned article lol)

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
Gruber suggests Apple's NFC-based mobile payment solution will take advantage of a new secure enclave coprocessor built into the company's new A8 chip, which is in line with previous reports. The secure enclave would store credit card details, allowing users to pay for physical goods with their iPhones and it would presumably work in conjunction with Touch ID.

Seriously? This report is missing the context of his statements.

Last edited:

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
I can only imagine how this becomes an advertisement gold mine. Imagine how much you can allow advertisers to target specific groups with specific ads. You have a major portion of their day to day purchases recorded. Lets see if Apple can (appropriately) leverage this and allow for tastefully done ads to be integrated in new ways into the typical daily workflow...

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
I've always wanted Apple to support NFC, but some people will still complain about how all the fanboys hated NFC until Apple included it. Who cares?

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
When did he lose the "journalist" title.

Many of the replies in past thread were overly focused on how he shouldn't be called a journalist, so I substituted a different descriptor with the hopes of keeping the discussion oriented on NFC instead of what we call John Gruber. :p

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Many of the replies in past thread were overly focused on how he shouldn't be called a journalist, so I substituted a different descriptor with the hopes of keeping the discussion oriented on NFC instead of what we call John Gruber. :p

what does wikipedia say? (sarcasm).

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
There are way too many NFC articles at this point, I think it can be moved out of the "rumors" category its been put in. Apple will work with others and usher in an entirely simplistic form of payment - a hover and swipe.

although it may be perfected. its still a rumor for now!

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
would be about time, talk about being behind the curve. not sure when they will discover the microSD card at this pace.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
For a minute I thought he meant only ONE of the new iPhones would get mobile payments lol

Imagine how the 4.7" buyers would rage if only the 5.5" got mobile payments / NFC, etc

:apple:

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Payments can be very transformative. I am very surprised it has taken this long. Very excited to hear this.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
1 step closer to not needing keys or a wallet! iPhone can unlock my door to my car and house. It's a beautiful world, and pocket real estate is at a premium!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.